Improved sense of smell

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

dockanz

Improved sense of smell

Post by dockanz » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:29 am

I find that when I am eating well, my sense of smell is much more acute. Tonight, someone brought along Scotcharoos and I could smell them from across the room. I think this is a good thing.
Make the Better Choice

janmarie

Post by janmarie » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:51 am

it's only a good thing when the smells are nice. i have a very sensitive sense of smell and it's a mixed blessing!

dockanz

Post by dockanz » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:32 am

Food also tastes better when our sense of smell is more acute.
Make the Better Choice

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:37 pm

...When you're hungry, even what is bitter tastes sweet. Proverb 27:7

Once when I was hungry I actually CRAVED brussel sprouts!!! Very odd for me! When You allow yourself to get hungry, you appreciated your food all the more. Everything tastes better. I had the most amazing soda cracker the other day......
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

brotherjohn

Post by brotherjohn » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:42 pm

[quoteI find that when I am eating well, my sense of smell is much more acute.[/quote]

A novel theory here: Could it be that when you are "eating well" you have a higher intake of the mineral zinc?

I was born with no sense of smell--the same way that some people are born blind. I have nerves that go from my nose to the olafactory section of the brain, but my olafactory bulbs are missing.

Back in the day, before the doctors CT scanned me to see what was going on, the gave me a zinc supplement to take for a month. They said that people with poor sense of smell often were deficient in zinc.

So...maybe when you are No-essing you are eating more foods with zinc, in place of sweets and snacks? What do you think? :)
"Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand." --St. Paul

Read my free weekly devotional rural adventures at:

www.countrypreacherdad.com

brotherjohn

Post by brotherjohn » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:46 pm

I find that when I am eating well, my sense of smell is much more acute.
A novel theory here: Could it be that when you are "eating well" you have a higher intake of the mineral zinc?

I was born with no sense of smell--the same way that some people are born blind. I have nerves that go from my nose to the olafactory section of the brain, but my olafactory bulbs are missing.

Back in the day, before the doctors CT scanned me to see what was going on, the gave me a zinc supplement to take for a month. They said that people with poor sense of smell often were deficient in zinc.

So...maybe when you are No-essing you are eating more foods with zinc, in place of sweets and snacks? What do you think?

~hf

Post by ~hf » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:21 pm

Interesting. I don't have a sense of smell, never have. Maybe I'll try the zinc supplements but, you know, with so many little ones running around my house maybe avoiding the aromas around me is a blessing... :wink:

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:21 pm

Could be that you're also eating "cleaner" -- avoiding things that folks are known to be sensitive to.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:36 pm

You're anosomic? Wow! I guess other than gas leaks and knowing when to change the baby, that's actually not a life-changing problem in the modern world.

~hf

Post by ~hf » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:49 pm

Thalia wrote:You're anosomic? Wow! I guess other than gas leaks and knowing when to change the baby, that's actually not a life-changing problem in the modern world.
There are a couple of time I almost burned the house down and didn't realize it until smoke practically filled the house. And then there was the time that my dog brought home a baby skunk and left it on the porch and it sprayed under the front door. I didn't even notice until my then husband and my kids were heaving and hollering...hehe

It does hinder my ability to enjoy food though as my taste is affected...so I make everything really strong and rich.

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:28 pm

That is just fascinating! I can't decide whether not smelling skunk was a net positive or negative for you. ;-)

brotherjohn

Post by brotherjohn » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:32 pm

Of all the senses, smell is the easiest to do without. In fact, I did not realize that I do not have a sense a smell until I was about 14 years old. One day it just dawned on me that out of the 10,000 times somebody had asked me, "Do you smell _____?" that I had never, ever, ever, said "Yes!"

I have a smoke detector, and all-electric home, and keep myself and my clothing scrupulously clean. When I need to know about the odor of something, I borrow the nose of the nearest person around me! :lol:

~hf

Post by ~hf » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:11 pm

brotherjohn wrote:Of all the senses, smell is the easiest to do without. In fact, I did not realize that I do not have a sense a smell until I was about 14 years old. One day it just dawned on me that out of the 10,000 times somebody had asked me, "Do you smell _____?" that I had never, ever, ever, said "Yes!"

I have a smoke detector, and all-electric home, and keep myself and my clothing scrupulously clean. When I need to know about the odor of something, I borrow the nose of the nearest person around me! :lol:
HA! Me too! I was in my teens when I figured it out...didn't think to tell my parents till I was in my 20's. My mom always bugged me to have a Dr. check it out but I never did. I figured that there was nothing to be done about it.

Heidi

dockanz

Post by dockanz » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:26 pm

Anosmia is often associated with poor impulse control and "sociopathic" personality because of the close proximity of the olfactory bulbs and the orbitofrontal cortex. Just one nugget of wisdom from this neuropsychologist to you!
Make the Better Choice

brotherjohn

Post by brotherjohn » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:38 pm

Anosmia is often associated with poor impulse control and "sociopathic" personality
The other people I killed told me the exact same thing.... :x

(....it's a joke.....) :)

dockanz

Post by dockanz » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:46 pm

LOL!
Make the Better Choice

~hf

Post by ~hf » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:51 pm

dockanz wrote:Anosmia is often associated with poor impulse control and "sociopathic" personality because of the close proximity of the olfactory bulbs and the orbitofrontal cortex. Just one nugget of wisdom from this neuropsychologist to you!
Gee, thanks for noticing...bats eyes :wink:

Heidi