Breakfast :)

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

xJocelynx87

Breakfast :)

Post by xJocelynx87 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:10 am

I am just curious to read what everyone eats for breakfast. I've always been partial to healthy cereal with milk and fruit, but I'm wondering if there are better options out there. Also...does everyone prefer to eat the same breakfast every N-Day, or do you like to switch it up? Let me know guys, I'm interested!

Jocelyn

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:54 am

For breakfast, I usually have :

1 whole wheat bagel
or
2 whole wheat slices of bread
(With a bit of margarine)

+ 1 hard boiled egg with a lil' bit of light mayo
or a lil' bit of cooked ham or some chickpeas.
Once every 2 weeks I hard boil about 8-10 eggs at a time so I usually have some available at all times.

+ Fibre cereal (Fibre 1 by General Mills is my favorite) mixed with a small handful of unsalted
peanuts / sunflower seeds / soy nuts / dried raisins
2% Milk

+ Plain Yogurt with either
1/2 a banana, 1/2 an apple or 1/2 a pear (I mix the slices of fruit with the yogurt) I keep the 2nd half of the fruit for later in the day, usually for dinner.

+ Either :
Raw Cucumber, celery, carrots or Bell peppers. (Sliced)

All the portions are quite small but I like to have a li' bit of all of these things. I try to have something from all the food groups at every meal usually. I would pick and choose from those items most days, but I have a list of good food that can pitch in as well, depending what's on sale that week at either one of the grocery stores
nearby ... you can be more flexible on fruits and vegetables in particular since they're usually all good for you and have few calories except for a few things like avocados for example.

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:55 am

I don't eat breakfast every day. While morning is my favorite time of day and some breakfast foods are among my favorite foods, eating breakfast in the morning has never been appealing. If I eat breakfast, I generally have toast, coffee and fruit. The fruit changes with the seasons.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

khristal23

Post by khristal23 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:29 am

The past 2 days I've had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, a glass of 2% milk, and a banana. Apparently, PB & J is OK if you don't eat them all day long or anything. I'd have eaten something else this morning since I had that yesterday, but this is the day before "grocery day" and we're all out of everything, so this was more or less it.

dockanz

Post by dockanz » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:37 am

I have a bowl of oatmeal with peanut butter, cocoa, and cinnamon. Sometimes, I have a glass of milk too.
Make the Better Choice

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:41 pm

I always have two cups of cafe au lait (coffee, and about a cup of milk total).

Then I might have
- oatmeal with fruit (hot or cold) OR
- PB&J (when I make bread) OR
- multigrain bagel with cream cheese or PB

I might have scrambled eggs and toast if it's a day I'm at home for breakfast.

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:06 pm

I have been having egg in a hole with shredded mexican blend cheese melted on top. Sometimes I also have some 0% greek yogurt with honey or some Trader Joe's cereal (ginger and almond cashew).

The egg in a hole is great because you are not eating a whole piece of bread and you are only eating one egg. I could make 2 of them and it would be okay, but I don't have much of an appetite in the morning.

If I go out to breakfast on the weekend I tend to have a poached egg with a biscuit and home fries... and I can't eat it all, either.

Nichole

Re: Breakfast :)

Post by Nichole » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:11 pm

I have been eating cereal (Life or Total) or old fashioned oatmeal- both with skim milk. :)
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

Giarc

Post by Giarc » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:14 pm

1 whole wheat pita with Peanut butter
1 Bananna
1 high fiber granola bar.

apomerantz

Post by apomerantz » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:21 pm

For some reason, I keep eating the same breakfast over and over - - which I didn't do before No S.

I have a small plastic bowl that I fill as follows:

3/4 Special K
1/4 Select Grains Crunchy Pecan (I do LOVE this cereal I must say)
1/3rd cup of blueberries on top
skim milk

I sort of crave this every morning . . .the nuts really hold me over easily to lunch.

paulawylma

i like variety

Post by paulawylma » Wed May 06, 2009 1:08 am

I'm a morning person, so of course I eat breakfast. I used to eat cereal w/milk and toast most weekdays, but I've found that it's easier to stay alert with a high protein breakfast. So, I sometimes make myself a breakfast sandwich (varying the types of bread and the breakfast meat--canadian bacon, reg bacon, sausage, ham, etc) or have a couple of eggs and some sort of breakfast meat on the side. On weekends when I don't work, I use my S day options for either French Toast, pancakes or waffles.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed May 06, 2009 2:38 am

Winter:
Toast or English muffin with "natural" peanut butter
Banana
OJ (sometimes)

Summer:
Fruit smoothie w/ 1 cup OJ, 1 cup fruit, 1 banana, 1 scoop protein powder.

BirdieGirl

Post by BirdieGirl » Wed May 06, 2009 12:32 pm

This morning I am enjoying a little rubarb microwaved and topped with plain yogurt and honey as well as a home made orange almond bran muffin. Yesterday I had a couple of scrambled eggs, oatmeal with blue berries and a few almonds. Some times I'll just have an apple and a flavored yogurt. And coffee. Must have coffee.

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed May 06, 2009 1:27 pm

I usually eat a (natural) peanut butter and banana sandwich with juice and coffee. The protein in the peanut butter seems to stick with me longer! On other days I sometimes mix two different kinds of cereal, add some dried blueberries, cut up a fresh banana, and milk. Sometimes I'll eat an egg on toast with bacon and cheese and fruit or juice. These are my usual choices for breakfast, but occasionally I will make pancakes or waffles over a weekend for a treat.
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

TunaFishKid

Post by TunaFishKid » Wed May 06, 2009 1:29 pm

I love peanut butter and banana sandwiches and haven't had one in ages! Thanks for the reminder. :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed May 06, 2009 2:23 pm

TunaFishKid wrote:I love peanut butter and banana sandwiches and haven't had one in ages! Thanks for the reminder. :)
I love them too! Aren't they yummy?

I sometimes have a bagel or home-made bread with PB/banana (or even PBJ, if I keep the "j" reasonable) for breakfast or lunch. Really filling. :)

I've discovered good quality bread and PB really make a difference on this one!

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed May 06, 2009 3:34 pm

Oh, how I love my peanut butter! On days when I don't eat it for breakfast, I will probably have it for lunch - with jelly too (in a reasonable amount, of course!). One of the great benefits of No S, I think, is not having to spoon, measure, and count (calories,points, carbs, or whatever) for peanut butter...or anything else for that matter! A dinner plate as a measuring tool is very simple and straightforward and takes no real extra effort. Yay! :D
Mimi

jessdr

Post by jessdr » Thu May 07, 2009 9:15 pm

I do best with "lunch" foods: chili sticks with me all day. A hamburger (homemade, usually without a bun, since I don't keep them in the house) and a glass of V8 works well too. Lately, I've been laming out and getting bagels, but I don't do as well on them as I do on a more protein-heavy breakfast.
Diet refugee, trying to get my head back on straight.

bizzybee

Post by bizzybee » Wed May 13, 2009 2:06 am

Breakfasts I love-

plain greek yogurt drizzled with honey and a serving of fresh berries

whole grain toast, the denser the better, with almond butter and a couple of clementines

overnight crockpot steel cut oats cooked with diced apples and cinnamon

Once a week I bake a pan of oatmeal bars, these are my portable quick breakfast with a homemade latte, its my Tues & Thurs, running out the door breakfast.

Some mornings when I'm not really hungry but running to the gym and need something in my tummy, I make a really yummy fruit smoothie, blueberry/ banana is my current favorite.

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed May 13, 2009 12:07 pm

bizzybee can you post the recipe for your oatmeal bars on the recipe thread? I'd love to try those - some mornings I find myself having to run out the door too and I'd like to have something good to run with!
Mimi

Cassie

Post by Cassie » Wed May 13, 2009 12:39 pm

Most days I have the same breakfast (for some reason I think it's reassuring to have the same breakfast a lot of the time):

--a bowl of porridge (made with jumbo oats, half water & half milk), to which I add dried or fresh fruit according to season (e.g. dried prunes / dates / figs / sultanas / stewed apple / blueberries etc) I never add too many fruits, just a couple of tablespoons. I also add one dessertspoon ground flaxseed, & one dessertspoon whole linseeds. And sometimes also a few sprinkled seeds (e.g. sunflower). I always have 2 cups of plain earl grey tea with milk as well.

Some days I have different things e.g.
--a slice of bread with no-sugar peanut butter & OJ
--2 poached eggs with bread & butter
--bread with whatever cheese we have in the flat.

...but mostly it's the porridge :) .

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Wed May 13, 2009 12:49 pm

jessdr wrote:I do best with "lunch" foods: chili sticks with me all day. A hamburger (homemade, usually without a bun, since I don't keep them in the house) and a glass of V8 works well too. Lately, I've been laming out and getting bagels, but I don't do as well on them as I do on a more protein-heavy breakfast.
Same here, I am much more likely to eat "lunch" foods for breakfast than cereal, etc. I did this back in the sixties when I worked at a job that had this new fangled thingy called a MICROWAVE - it was huge! There was a little deli downstairs from our job, I would get a cheeseburger and warm it up for breakfast - others were eating donuts, etc. and telling me I should eat a little healthier. I think history has proven that I might have been making the wiser choice.

spicy0853

Breakfast

Post by spicy0853 » Wed May 13, 2009 12:51 pm

Hello all. I have been eating oatmeal with a handful of raisins and walnuts. I use very little, if not any, milk.

I sometimes will eat eat whites with fruit. :D
"When the going gets tough, the tough get going!"

xJocelynx87

Post by xJocelynx87 » Wed May 13, 2009 5:25 pm

Since I started this thread, I guess I should post some of my faves!

-Whole grain cereal, like Kashi, with milk and fruit
-Quaker oatmeal made with milk and fruit
-Whole wheat English muffin with peanut butter and jelly and fruit
-Smoothie made with milk, peanut butter, and fruit
-Very rarely, scrambled eggs with cheese, toast, and fruit

I ALWAYS have one of the above with a homemade latte.

Mmm...I love breakfast. :)