9 inch plate diet

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Blithe Morning

9 inch plate diet

Post by Blithe Morning » Sun May 10, 2009 12:46 pm

I was in Barnes and Noble yesterday and saw a book entitled The 9 Inch Plate Diet. It's an oversized trade paper book with a very visual layout, graphics, charts and lots of white space. The premise of the author is that you can lose weight by switching to a 9 inch plate.

The author, Alex Bogusky, claims he arrived at the idea whenhe bought a 1940's lake house where the kitchen cabinets would not hold his modern plateware.

What caught my intention most, however, is that the book was very close in vibe to NoS, almost to the point where sections felt paraphrased from No S. Has anyone else seen this? What do you think?

If you google around about 9 inch plate, you will see some pretty interesting stuff about the authors.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun May 10, 2009 1:12 pm

I've not seen the book.

I think I mentioned this recently in another post. My dinner plates are 10 1/2 inches in diameter with a 2" raised border leaving 6 1/2 inches in the center. My food stays in the middle (most of the time). I will use a separate bowl or plate for salad sometimes. For instance, last night we had pork chops, rice, green beans and salad. The salad was in a separate bowl.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

navi

Post by navi » Sun May 10, 2009 4:14 pm

yeah, i don't know who is using all these GIANT 12 inch plates. my plates are 10 inches, with a 1.5 inch border all the way around, so the area i use is 7 inches, and my plates seem pretty normal sized to me (not overly small). They are slightly larger than my grandmother's plates (i have kept some), but the border is larger, so it is about equal in the end. i guess if you want to sell a "new" diet, it helps to exaggerate like this. just my 2 cents.

TingTing

Post by TingTing » Sun May 17, 2009 4:16 pm

That was a fun book to read. It does tell why our plates have gotten bigger and it talks a bit about the food industry and the mental programming we have about food. Advertising has alot to do with how obese Americans are getting!

Personally, I don't know of anyone owning 12 inch plates either. My plates are all approximately 10 inch plates. But alot of restaurants have very big plates that look about 12 inch or even a little more.

The book is worth looking at in the bookstore but you may not want to buy it because it's kind of expensive. :)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon May 18, 2009 3:38 pm

I haven't actually seen the book, but the concept has been mentioned a few times before, and it does sound reasonable and very no-s-compatible.

I probably wouldn't advise starting out with this extra rule, but it might be a very natural mod if you find you're in the market for one. But as with all mods, don't jump the gun. Wait a good long time and see if vanilla no-s doesn't do the trick for you first.

Reinhard

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed May 20, 2009 2:28 am

9 Inch Plate Diet may or may not be a good mod. I have no idea and no intention of finding out since I am quite satisfied with No S.

I guess what I was asking was about the similarity in tone between NoS and 9IP. I know "soft skills" writing is what's hot in business these days as most writing apparently should have the tone of a well written blog or message board; the same tone the No S home page has in fact. I am wondering if maybe Reinhard and No S haven't broken through some barrier in diet books and created a new subset to the genre, if indeed you can call diet books a genre. Which I don't think you can but you get my drift.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed May 20, 2009 1:19 pm

I am pretty sure I have 12" plates. I love how big they are! I don't completely fill my plate, I just put my food in the middle with about 2 inches or more empty around. I wouldn't want a tiny plate because then my food would be smooshed together or close to the edge (that equals a MESS). I like my food spread out and no where close to the edge.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille