I knew this... but...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kccc

I knew this... but...

Post by kccc » Wed May 27, 2009 5:03 pm

Putting food on a plate REALLY does make a difference.

I often eat lunch out of various tupperware-type containers. Never worried about it, because I could see all the food at once and had an idea of how much I was eating.

Or so I thought.

Well, I recently brought a small plate to work, because I don't like micro-waving in plastic. Today, I dumped my leftover pasta and pesto on my plate...and did a double-take. That was a BIG serving. It didn't look nearly so big in the container, but it was definitely more than I had at dinner last night. I had thought it was about the same.

It was still "legal"... and I ate it. However, I'm suddenly aware that my lunches tend to be a bit larger than I'd realized. (And I'm thinking about what a fast-food meal would look like on a real plate...oh, dear.)

For those of you interested/amused by math, here's an old thread about the difference plate sizes can make:

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... highlight=

(I'm thinking I may start assembling my leftover lunches on a normal plate at home, then pack the components in their various containers...that will keep me on track.)

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Wed May 27, 2009 5:05 pm

KCCC, I've been plating my lunches at work, and I keep meaning to post about the same thing! I bring my little tupperwares and I think there's hardly anything in there, but then you dump them on a plate and WOW it's a lot of food. I had no idea I was such a bad estimator. And I'm using a formal china dinner plate, so it's not like it's that tiny.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Wed May 27, 2009 5:28 pm

I also eat my lunch out of tupperware and I have wondered if it is more than a plate's worth. Yesterday I brought some leftover veggies in separate baggies to make a salad. I opened the lettuce first and put it on one of the paper plates we have in the office. It overflowed off the plate. I know it is just lettuce and it really didn't look like that much in the baggy but I couldn't bring myself to eat it all after I saw how it looked on the plate. If it had been in my usual container, I would have eaten it all without thinking about it. I will definitely pay more attention to this from now on.

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Wed May 27, 2009 5:29 pm

It makes me wonder how good an estimator I am on "stuff in a bowl" meals -- I'm guessing it's often a lot more food than I think it is.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed May 27, 2009 6:36 pm

Thank you so much for bringing that to our attention!! I think that our eyes see the surface diameter and not the bulk that is supported by the sides of the container. I usually eat from the container and I guess I never thought about it. I sometimes buy plate covers or new shower caps to cover my plates since I stay home. I know that they sell plates with covers for those of you that need a portable lunch. I will try to remember to dump it on a plate from now on. Thank you!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

harpista

Post by harpista » Wed May 27, 2009 6:53 pm

Thank you for posting this.

That said, sometimes ignorance is bliss!! :lol:

Now I will have to check this myself!!
Nulla palma sine pulvere.
'No garland of victory without first the dust of the arena.'

Sometimesians, unite!

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed May 27, 2009 7:02 pm

We all probably will...sigh :oops:
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri May 29, 2009 2:29 pm

mimi wrote:We all probably will...sigh :oops:
Lol!

On the other hand, if you're getting good results doing what you're doing, then it can't be too bad, right?

I'm going to pay a little more attention, but gradually. (I believe in "5 degrees of change" at a time - there's a post on that somewhere. Small changes add up over time, and that's good enough.)