No-s take three

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

annafarmer

No-s take three

Post by annafarmer » Fri May 29, 2009 10:45 am

Okay, so I'm back again. Twice on plan for a month, twice fallen off the wagon for several months. I'm heavier now than I was 9months pregnant with my first 2 kids! The temptation to hop on a fast loss diet is really eating at me, so I could use some moral support here :( It's the sweets that are killing me, in the summer my hubby and kids are always getting ice cream - darn their naturally skinny selves :x . I hope 3rd times a charm for me!

vmelo

Post by vmelo » Fri May 29, 2009 10:49 am

Oh my, Anna---I could have written your post. I'm on No-S for the third time, too. I am desperate to lose weight, too. My sisters are both on traditional diets, and I am so happy that they're losing weight, but I feel left out because I'm not. I can't blame No-S because I haven't stuck to it long enough to see any change.

And I know what you mean about living with someone who's naturally thin. My husband is that way. He's not a big sweet eater, though.

That ice-cream temptation is a killer in the summer, isn't it?

Well, just hang in there. "One day at a time" as they say. After all, what's the alternative?

Best wishes!

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri May 29, 2009 12:16 pm

Well, count me in as a third...I could have written your post as well! I have made two serious tries at NoS, (and some other small ones in between that only lasted a few days) and both times succeeded in getting habits under control (obviously they weren't established yet) and lost weight as a result.
What happened? ME. I got in my own way - blamed it on vacation, family circumstances, etc. - the truth of the whole matter is I quit tracking Ses, the *stinkin thinkin* noise in my head kicked in, and I gave up after so many red days.
The lure of a quicker, sure-to-happen-if-you-only-do-this, weight loss *diet* is very strong when you're vulnerable - and overweight, and want the excess weight gone *yesterday*. Don't be gullible, don't believe it, don't be sucked in.
To quote a few things (plusses) from the book:
"The NoS Diet gives you rules that are so unobtrusive that chances are good that no one else will even notice you are following them unless you tell them."
"You don't need special food that may or may not be available. You don't need to time anything too precisely. You don't need to do any calculations or to keep track of multiple variables."
And here's the biggie...based on putting the scale and weight loss into perspective -
When you focus on behavior, you get results thrown into the bargain because behavior causes results. When you focus on results, you get neither because results cannot exist without behavior.
So those are just the beginning of the good reasons to stick with NoS - not to mention the peace that you will find while you do it.

Good luck! :lol:

Mimi
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Fri May 29, 2009 12:21 pm

Oh, you have to try all the fresh fruits that summers bounty provides. No guilt eating that's healthy to boot! And you could still have some ice cream on your s-days.

Keep at it!

annafarmer

Post by annafarmer » Fri May 29, 2009 1:16 pm

Thanks all! I'm hoping it sticks this time. We joined a CSA this year, and are supposed to get our first harvest pickup this weekend - so hopefully that will be encouraging us to eat healthy. Now I just need to figure out how to cook/eat Kohlrabi (which I'm supposed to be getting 6 week of!)

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Fri May 29, 2009 3:35 pm

I think my grandma used to just slice kohlrabi very thin and eat it raw, like celery sticks or jicama. It's crunchy and good.

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Sun May 31, 2009 12:10 am

When you feel the siren call of "quick loss" remember its silent partner "quick regain."

I'm often tempted by the idea of adding something on to No-S to "quicken things up a bit," but thankfully my natural laziness keeps me from bothering. I just know if I did start adding cards to the house things would come tumbling down all too soon.

If you want to speed results you can safely add exercise. (No-S approved!) This isn't related to eating (well, not directly) and you shouldn't connect the two in your head. Try to keep them separate, no "this many laps means this many cookies/calories" or when you slip in one it may cause you to slip in the other. Think of the other goals associated with exercise, ones that involve gain, not loss. "I want to be stronger (gain strength)," "I want to gain stamina," "I want to become a swimmer (gain the title "swimmer")" - that kind of thing. The exercise will indirectly influence your weight, without interfering with your dietary choices.

You can start small, you don't need special equipment. I do standing pelvic tilts while brushing my teeth (no equipment required, time already blocked out, doesn't really interfere with the primary task - as an added bonus they're good for your back).
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Sun May 31, 2009 12:20 am

I guess that was more "bossy" than "moral-supporty" so I'm going to try again.

You can be strong and stick with this. Your children will thank you for providing a good example, even if they continue as naturally thin for the rest of their lives.

Remember you don't have to be perfect, only honest about when you make mistakes. You WILL move closer to perfection when you are aware of the slip-ups. Even 50% success rate is much better than 0%, right?

And don't forget - you are never more than 5 days from an S-day. There are still times when I have to use the "5 more days until ice-cream!" chant. You can make it 5 days.

Go! Go! Go!
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett

butterfly1000

Re: No-s take three

Post by butterfly1000 » Sun May 31, 2009 1:41 am

annafarmer wrote:Okay, so I'm back again. Twice on plan for a month, twice fallen off the wagon for several months. I'm heavier now than I was 9months pregnant with my first 2 kids! The temptation to hop on a fast loss diet is really eating at me, so I could use some moral support here :( It's the sweets that are killing me, in the summer my hubby and kids are always getting ice cream - darn their naturally skinny selves :x . I hope 3rd times a charm for me!
I know how you feel -- me too, it's the totally out of control sweets that kill me. I've joined the June challenge and I'm just going to try and tackle the No Sweets (along with some daily walking). I too sometimes am tempted to go on a quick loss diet -- but I've tried them all, and all that's happened is that I lose a little but gain back a lot. The No S is something that I think I can stick to in the long run -- it just takes a little time to change old habits.
Don't give up!