My Update

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Hunter Gatherer

My Update

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Sat May 30, 2009 11:43 pm

Hi all!
It's been a while since I last checked in, so I thought I would.

I stopped using the scale for a while... and then there was a health thing at work and when I weighed in I was below my lowest previous weight. Hurrah! I was well into my next multiple of ten (that's how I think of it - I'm okay if I stay in the range of the multiple of ten I'm currently in even if it's the high end of that multiple, and I constantly long to move down into the next multiple of ten). So that was a pleasant surprise.

Last time I gave a update I believe I mentioned I had taken in some of my clothes at the waist - these are now loose. I still fit into the jeans that were previously hideously small, I can even pull them away from my waist by an impressive (to me at least :roll:) amount.

I've been doing chin-ups. I'm up to 6 a day. I was up to 7, but had a setback (read "extended bout of laziness") and was down to barely making 5 for a while. The pull-up still eludes me. :? But... one of these days baby! My lower body however is turning to mush from my desk-job. :(

I've gotten pretty good at sticking to the N-days. S-days can still be pretty excessive sometimes (I'm gonna do an ice-cream post after this one :D ) and I do have social-pressure failures now and then. As long as they don't happen too often or too excessively I figure it will be okay. I have mostly gotten past the "No! I failed! Now I must fail the rest of the day too! *Open mouth, insert stack of punishment cookies, mushy chewing noises of distress and much wailing*" reaction, which was a tough one to beat. If I do eat the darn treat somebody brought to the gathering for the express purpose of sharing both treat and reaction it doesn't mean I can't be good the rest of the day or that my goodness earlier in the day is negated. Just make that nice big red X and get on with the next green one.
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett

Marianna

Post by Marianna » Sun May 31, 2009 12:18 am

It is so great to hear from someone who has been doing this for awhile--I remember your earlier posts--Thanks for the input--it is truly motivating--

Marianna

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun May 31, 2009 12:23 am

Hi Hunter!! Great to hear of your very positive sounding update!! (except for the mush at the sedentary work thing... find some stairways somewhere and use them everyday..)
Anyway, it's funny.. Me and Richie just moved into a new place finally after a few years.. I decided not to take a scale here and deem it a scale free zone..
Funnily enought, this has been a very good month for us both for weight loss, as we both lost about four pounds in one month!
Checked at my moms house, which is where we lived before.
So it almost seems a good thing to not have a scale. I think it forces you to focus mostly on your eating then and not be distracted.
Good to hear some news you are still sticking with this and big congratulations on moving into your next "ten"down!!!!
What a great feeling that must have been!!!
Keep up the great work!!

8) Debs x
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:28 pm

Glad to see you back, I remember you! I am back too just the end of May and in need of keeping FOCUSED on my lifelong challenge :)

Look forward to reading more posts from you :)
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:19 am

Glad to see you too shamrockmommy! Staying focused can be hard, the board helps a lot.
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:33 pm

HG,

Great to see you here again!

And great to hear that no-s is still working for you.
I have mostly gotten past the "No! I failed! Now I must fail the rest of the day too!
That is a huge milestone!
I've been doing chin-ups.
I've been doing "opportunistic" chinups and pullups for a few months now, too. I plateaued really quickly -- I think shovelglove worked most of these muscles pretty darn well to begin with. But it's a quick fun "metric" exercise, a rough gauge of fitness that is more comprehensible to those outside the fold than "I routinely do 42 'drive fence posts' with a 20 pound sledge."

Reinhard

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:13 pm

If you could work out how many fence post drives it would take to drive a fence post it might be better.

I personally would be very impressed with a statement of "I can drive X fence posts in Y minutes."
Dashiell Hammett

Ragdoll

Re: My Update

Post by Ragdoll » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:34 am

Hunter Gatherer wrote:Hi all!
I have mostly gotten past the "No! I failed! Now I must fail the rest of the day too! *Open mouth, insert stack of punishment cookies, mushy chewing noises of distress and much wailing*" reaction, which was a tough one to beat.
I :lol: til I :cry: when I read this!!!
Height: 5'6"
Starting Weight 01/08/10: 12 stone/168 pounds
Goal Weight: 10 stone/140 pounds

“Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again.â€

-C.S. Lewis

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:55 pm

I was nodding my head when I read that one...