Newbie Introduction

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

drscottie

Newbie Introduction

Post by drscottie » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:44 pm

Hi all, I wanted to introduce myself. I came across no s about a month ago when searching for info on controlling your weight without dieting. I have previously successfully lost about 40lb but didnt keep it off due to a combo of slipping back into bad habits (snacking and sweets) and a dodgy hormone problem.

I have decided though never to diet again, because it made me crazy - attaching my self esteem to whether my weight went up or down on the scale. Basically I found counting things like points etc weird, and something i didnt want to do for the rest of my life. That is when I came across Reinhard and this wonderful site, his straightforward, honest approach and humor appealed to me. Also as a psychologist, I had a duh moment. Diets dont work, behaviour modification and rewarding that does. So thanks Reinhard for the lightbulb moment.

In terms of weight loss I havent seen any yet - in an ironic twist I have recently developed oedema due to medication so have actually gained. But Im not worried about this, because Im here for the long term. Im trying to focus on eating normally, no guilt, real food. I was brought up on a farm and this was how we ate when I was a child, real butter, real cream, full fat milk straight from the cow, and I was not a fat child. I have read and been inspired by all the messages here, thank you.

Eileen

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:56 pm

Welcome!

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:43 pm

Welcome! You will love NoS!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:41 pm

Glad to have you here... it really does work. It is kind of a Duh diet. :idea: Why didn't we all think of it before! I used to eat real food and wasn't fat either. I've worked in 3 nursing homes and the elderly eat that way, are for the most part sedentary and most that I've seen are thin by the time they reach 90. Keep reading!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:06 pm

Welcome to the board drscottie! You seem to have a very good attitude about the timeline for this diet, I think it will serve you well (both the attitude and the diet).

It can be slow, and the plateaus can be brutal to morale, but if you can wrap your head around ignoring the weight and concentrating on the behavior (and it seems like you have a good start on that) then it's wonderful and productive.
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:41 pm

Welcome, I have only been here a month but it has truly been transformational.

I can't really explain why, I stumbled upon this site when I read good comments from a nutritionist about it on the Calorie Count message boards.

It was what I was looking for, for a long long time. It is normal, it makes sense. It works.

I have lost 13 pounds but that wasn't ever my issue, keeping it off was. Now that I am near goal weight (within a few pounds), I am curious to see how I manage my ideal weight on No S.

Welcome and Good Health to you.

SR :?

GogoMya

Post by GogoMya » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:56 pm

Welcome Dr. Scottie and Strawberry Roan, good luck on your maintenance. I'll be keeping tabs on you. I'm quite interested to know what's in store for me once I reach goal. Maintenance is the most important to me b/c that's why I chose this program. I think this is something realistic and believe I can do this the rest of my life.
Cheers!

-My
--------------------
SD: 05.29.09
SW: 169
CW:169

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:50 am

Welcome, all!! :)

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:12 am

Welcome!!

I have had many duh and aha moments being on noS. I started I think in Dec. 06, did really well for a year or so, had a terrible couple of years where I started and stopped, and now back at it the last couple of weeks because it works for me, and it's sane!

I'm the type of person where this will be a lifelong issue. Generally I'll lose a bunch of weight and gain it all back plus more. This has been going on for many, many years.

Nice to see you and can't wait to hear more from you :)
Last edited by FarmerHal on Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:51 am

Welcome!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

drscottie

Post by drscottie » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:58 pm

Thanks everyone for your welcome, it is much appreciated.

Like others, i have experienced the dreaded yo-yo dieting. I have lost the weight but didnt really know how to maintain this, so it crept on and then some. Having started no s'ing has been an eye opener, i am finding out that i too snitch when cooking, and maybe, just maybe have a tendency to eat my emotions .. Feeling happy, eat; feeling angry, eat; feeling sad, mmm what can i eat? :oops: So no s has been great in terms of putting structure around eating, and helping me realise this.

This just seems so much more humane and i love the fact that the boards are not consumed by how many calories are in this etc.

cheers

ams09

Post by ams09 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:32 pm

Hi drscottie, is it okay if I hijack your newbie thread? :wink: I'm a newbie, too!

I started gaining weight about 7 years ago, a combination I think of middle age, a very sedentary job and no exercise. I reached my limit back in January as my weight inched ever higher and my clothes were getting tighter yet again. I was devastated! I was determined not to have to keep buying larger sized clothes every year like I had been.

My problem wasn't so much gorging on food, per se, but the ol' intake vs. outtake equation. I started by cutting back on my portions to the point where I felt like I'd had just enough but not quite full. I did that for about 2 or 3 weeks and then began recording my daily calories in a food journal. I did this for 3 months until I got so sick of it I quit. But it did me alot of good. It gave me the awareness of normal-sized servings for most foods and I lost 20 lbs. Ideally, I'd like to lose 20 more but I'd be happy to just lose 10.

Another aspect of my problem has been the realization that I rely too much on snacks between meals. I was one of those people whom Reinhard wrote of whining about needing snacks and/or needing to eat every 2 or 3 hours. But that has been such an irritation for me for many years! Always worrying about what I would do if I became hungry no matter where I was and making sure I packed little snacks to take with me or making sure there were fast food restaurants nearby for a few nibbles to tide me over. You should see my office drawer! Such a pita, I really dislike having to do that.

I found this website this past Monday (don't even remember now how I came across it) and it made so much sense to me! I, too, had a DUH moment! I remember growing up and through my 20's mainly eating 3 meals a day and snacks/sweets were not consistent or even daily. I've been doing No S now since Tuesday. Well, yeah, that's only three days, heh, but I love being able to eat my fill enough so that I can last till the next meal and not have to worry about snacks. I did fall off the wagon this morning, though, and that was only because I didn't eat enough for breakfast and had to have a little snack to see me through to lunch.

I am so excited about this system and this clever little website. :D

Thanks everyone, for "listening"!

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:41 pm

Welcome ams09,

I have been here a little more than a month and have learned to welcome and appreciate the feeling of hunger. Not only does it mean that the plan is working as it was designed to but that my body has used up the food I "fed" it at the last meal.

I embrace the hunger, eat my next meal as planned and move on.

I have not had one single day that wasn't green, haven't overindulged on the weekends and have lost 13 pounds. I feel totally in control

And that feels great.

SR
:wink:

ams09

Post by ams09 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:52 am

Thanks SR!

I hadn't thought about that before regarding hunger. The motive for near constant snacking is exactly the opposite, to not feel hunger at all. That was my goal, to have enough snacks nearby or in my purse that I could pop a few bites in my mouth the moment just before my stomach was due to rumble. A bit obsessive, I know. :? No S is very freeing to me even though I just started this week. I feel like I've done a complete turnaround in my thinking and eating.

Btw, SR, what do you mean by "green" day?

winnie96

Post by winnie96 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:28 am

StrawberryRoan wrote:I embrace the hunger.
This, for me, is the essence of No-S. And it's not just embracing hunger, it's also understanding what it is. We have been encouraged for so long to never feel hungry that we feel we have to eat all the time. Selecting the right amount of food at each meal so that you arrive at the next meal hungry, but not ravenous, is the way we should be eating. Moderate hunger, despite what the perma-snackers recommend, IMO is what drives more sensible choices for each meal.

For me, once I got the sense of what "hungry" is, I just naturally gravitated to the better food choices that satisfy the hunger. (Big Mac = ugh).

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:00 am

Welcome all the newbies ... it's always nice when they're are enthusiastic newbies. ;-)

Ams, I think you have to get used to feeling hungry nearly all the time really. Even after I just ate dinner sometimes I think I really could have eaten 30-40% more, but I didn't ... I am used to it by now since I have been working really hard for 7 months straight now. Still 5 more to go. ;-)

I am always 'A little bit hungry' basically but it doesn't bother me a whole lot usually. I have a few tips and tricks to prevent huge failures, saves me most of the times.

I found this site after seeing an article somewhere, I think it was on LIFEHACKER.com ?? An article about shovelglove ?? It lead me here if I recall.

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

Disclaimer : I am following a more extreme version of the 'No-S' diet.
I made my own personal modifications to the original plan (Diet & Exercise)
What I am doing should not be misinterpreted as being a typical 'No-S' diet experience.
11/01/2008 : 280.0 pounds - - - 06/01/2009 : 215.6 pounds
7 months 1 day / 64.4 pounds

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:39 am

ams,

Re the "green days", click on the words HabitCal under the EverydaySystems heading up above. It will explain it all.

I keep a monthly calendar and click on green for each day that I maintain the no sweets, snacks or seconds.

SR :wink:

ams09

Post by ams09 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:51 pm

StrawberryRoan wrote:ams,

Re the "green days", click on the words HabitCal under the EverydaySystems heading up above. It will explain it all.

I keep a monthly calendar and click on green for each day that I maintain the no sweets, snacks or seconds.

SR :wink:
Oh, okay! Don't know how I missed that, thanks!

Marc, yes that was a new feeling for me, the hunger and one I mostly haven't felt in years.

Like I mentioned previously, I tripped up once by not eating enough for breakfast one day and needed a snack before lunch. Well, I just discovered something else. Yesterday I made the mistake of eating too much at lunch! I was afraid I wasn't going to make it till dinner so I added more food but then was too full. In fact, by the time supper came around at 7:00 pm, I still wasn't very hungry and just ate a very, very small amount. I knew if I didn't eat something right then, I'd be hungry too late in the evening or even during the night. But I couldn't enjoy my supper and that's a shame cuz it was very good! :lol:

So I'm learning to balance my meals. It's too early to tell yet if I'll feel the need to tweak the system but so far I am just trying to adjust to vanilla No S.

la_loser

beverages are ok too

Post by la_loser » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:31 pm

No worries--after a while you'll get a sense of how much you need to eat in order to keep you from wanting to eat your arm before the next meal! It's all about retraining your brain (and your eyes) about what you "need" and what you've been used to.

Remember that beverages are ok for the most part between meals, even those with calories. . . (except sugary drinks like soft drinks)--so try some juice or milk or make up some of my H2Orange to keep you hydrated and not so hungry.

It's been a while since this thread has been bumpted so I'm going to that now. http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... t=h2orange

If you haven't read the No S Diet book, I highly recommend it. It's a quick read and a great reference . . . and nice way to "thank" Reinhard for this great system.
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

ams09

Re: beverages are ok too

Post by ams09 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:08 am

LA_Loser wrote:No worries--after a while you'll get a sense of how much you need to eat in order to keep you from wanting to eat your arm before the next meal! It's all about retraining your brain (and your eyes) about what you "need" and what you've been used to.

Remember that beverages are ok for the most part between meals, even those with calories. . . (except sugary drinks like soft drinks)--so try some juice or milk or make up some of my H2Orange to keep you hydrated and not so hungry.

It's been a while since this thread has been bumpted so I'm going to that now. http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... t=h2orange

If you haven't read the No S Diet book, I highly recommend it. It's a quick read and a great reference . . . and nice way to "thank" Reinhard for this great system.
Thanks for that recipe, LA! sounds good! And as for your last comment - great idea! I just went to amazon and bought Reinhard's book! :D

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:12 am

Yeah, I think it was that article on SHOVELGLOVIN' that lead me here ...

http://tinyurl.com/l6ed6x

I check out the lifehacker.com site once a week, usually on fridays. I must have searched the site for Do-It-yourself workout equipment, that sort of thing ...

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

Disclaimer : I am following a more extreme version of the 'No-S' diet.
I made my own personal modifications to the original plan (Diet & Exercise)
What I am doing should not be misinterpreted as being a typical 'No-S' diet experience.
11/01/2008 : 280.0 pounds - - - 06/05/2009 : 214.0 pounds
7 months 5 days / 66.0 pounds