40 lbs in 20 months

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gratefuldeb67

40 lbs in 20 months

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:37 pm

Hi guys, just out of curiosity, I decided to be a little scientific about approaching my weight gain in the last few years.
I read through my previous posts on my check in thread, and it seems that I
Weighed 215 in November 2007...
That's 20 months ago..
So, that basically means I gained an average of 2 pounds per month to get where I was a month ago at 255... (NB I am now down 5 lbs from that! Yay!)

Anyway, I just thought it was really actually very healthy to look at this from a long term perspective.. It's so easy to get down and depressed about it all.. And it's easy to feel that one is in a rut after waking up one day and all of a sudden they just find themselves 40 lbs up and wonder how it happened, and feel mad at yourself for letting yourself go so badly.

But when you think of it as 2 lbs per month, it makes it easier to 1. Forgive yourself, cos lets face it, that's so easy to do.. Gain 2 lbs a month???
Please, I can do that every week if I'm not being good..

And 2. Thank goodness, it's definitely easy to get your head around that number as a weight loss goal, so it brings hope and not despair, when you think of it that way..

My goal is to lose this amount of weight within a years time.
I know this is doable.

Then, I'll regroup and decide how much further I want to go after I've achieved my first goal.

Peace and Love,

8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:43 pm

Awh good, the 1st step for me is usually to set the goal and the time line ... then you make your graph and you do everything you can to stay under the line of course ... no quitting, no starting over, no no no !! ;-) At least that's how I like to operate. Good luck on your journey.

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

Disclaimer : I am following a more extreme version of the 'No-S' diet.
I made my own personal modifications to the original plan (Diet & Exercise)
What I am doing should not be misinterpreted as being a typical 'No-S' diet experience.
11/01/2008 : 280.0 pounds - - - 06/01/2009 : 215.6 pounds
7 months 1 day / 64.4 pounds

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:47 pm

It is great to step back and look at it long term. You're on the right road. Maybe you need an emerald to remind yourself!!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:49 pm

See the thread about *Sparkly Emeralds* Debs! I think it would work for you :wink:

I'm setting a goal of losing at least 2 pounds a month. I think that's reasonable for me. If I lose more that'll be great, but this way I won't be disappointed. I need to lose 30 more...so I'm looking at a year too (really 15 months).

We can do it!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:49 pm

Thanks Marc ;)
.. Well I didn't just randomly set a goal and timeline.
I am basing all of this on the time it took to gain that weight, and the amount of weight I have lost in one month of being back on habit with NoS again and dividing the first amount by the second..
I can't just say "I am going to lose X amount by Z days" out of thin air.
I based my goal on what I *know* will be achievable..
And I am *definitely* NOT quitting or starting over!!!!
I need to be serious about this because I know how gaining weight has really messed up my quality of life in so many ways these last few years.
It's worth it to take it seriously.
I am worth it! :D
Have a nice day!
8) Debs

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:50 pm

Thanks Rene and Mimi!! ;)
Yes we can do this!!
8) Debs xx

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:01 pm

You are worth it Deb! You can do it too! Go! Go! Go!
:D
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:25 pm

Thanks Hunter!!! LOL :wink:
8) Debs x

harpista

Re: 40 lbs in 20 months

Post by harpista » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:20 am

gratefuldeb67 wrote: ... ... Anyway, I just thought it was really actually very healthy to look at this from a long term perspective.. It's so easy to get down and depressed about it all.. And it's easy to feel that one is in a rut after waking up one day and all of a sudden they just find themselves 40 lbs up and wonder how it happened, and feel mad at yourself for letting yourself go so badly.

But when you think of it as 2 lbs per month, it makes it easier to 1. Forgive yourself, cos lets face it, that's so easy to do.. Gain 2 lbs a month???
Please, I can do that every week if I'm not being good..

And 2. Thank goodness, it's definitely easy to get your head around that number as a weight loss goal, so it brings hope and not despair, when you think of it that way... ....
Hi Debs, long time since I have posted in your general direction. :lol:

Thanks for posting this. I have come back to No-S fairly recently (a few weeks ago with time out for bad behaviour yet again), and I was super depressed over my old postings from shot #1.

Example:
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:54 am
harpista wrote: I am currently 269 lb., a total of -19 lb!!! since beginning No-S!
Yeah and this morning, 292. Same scale, so no excuses! In 2 years and 8 months (if my math is holding up), that's 23 pounds. That is less than 1 lb per month and you are SO RIGHT... I could do a pound in less than a week if I had really "gone stupid," and it is SO MUCH EASIER to forgive myself and wrap my head around undoing it.

Many thanks!!!!!
Nulla palma sine pulvere.
'No garland of victory without first the dust of the arena.'

Sometimesians, unite!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:54 pm

I'm glad it helped Harpista and nice to have you back aboard!
Stick around and good luck with getting back into good habits!!
8) Debs x