Thoughts on conferences, travel, etc.

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:17 pm

These last few months, I have done a lot of travel, both for work and for pleasure. In both cases, there have been times when I've either subsisted on less-than-optimal food (like fast-food) or, conversely, had to deal with an overabundance of goodies surrounding me. Lately, it's been more of the latter.

When I traveled less frequently, I would just take S-days - like for vacation. But at this point, there are months when they would simply add up to wa-ay too many S-days! Combined with the lower exercise levels that often happen when I travel, I can put on a LOT of weight all too easily if I don't watch it.

So here are my personal strategies, in case others are interested.

1) Plan ahead as much as possible. While I don't generally calorie count, I do when I go to restaurants because the food can be so deceiving. So, I've identified reasonable menu items at several chains I tend to go to, and try to look up nutrition in advance when I can.

2) Fit in 15 minutes of exercise, even if it's just a bit of a walk during lunch. I feel SO much better when I do this! Pilates and yoga can usually be managed in a hotel room.

3) For a long trip, it's okay to pick one day to be an S-day, or follow the usual weekend schedule. Otherwise, just stay on the normal pattern. (This is for people who travel a lot - when I didn't much, it was different.)

4) As much as possible, eat N-compliant things that I REALLY like. That helps me not to feel deprived by not eating the S's all around. Examples:

a. Pack hot tea I like. There is usually hot water at the breaks, but often the tea selection is not very good.
b. Go ahead and spend ridiculous amounts on a latte (I drink cafe au lait at home, and that's the closest). Even have an extra if desired - it's like a serving of milk/coffee.
c. Enjoy the actual meals! Have the eggs and biscuits, even if home breakfast is normally lighter. Order the slightly-more-expensive shrimp instead of chicken. Just stay away from obvious sweets, seconds, and snacks.

5) Fight feelings of deprivation (this is an extension of #4). When I drooled a little b/c there was an amazing dessert bar at the poster session, I reminded myself that "there will be nice food again." I also promised myself an extra-special something on my next S-day. Then I walked away and looked at the posters - no regrets.

6) Attend to plate sizes. I generally count 2 reception-sized plates as one regular one (thanks to former member Steve Cooper for doing the math on that!). At restaurants, look at the serving plate and decide how much would fit on a regular one.

This week, I was at a reception on Friday, followed by my normal S-days on the weekend, and then at a three-day conference with a LOT of good food. It would have been really easy to fall so far off No-S that it would be hard to get back on... and I'm so glad I didn't.

Hope others find this useful. Everyone handles travel a little differently, but this is working for me right now.

la_loser

Thanks

Post by la_loser » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:35 pm

KCCC,

These are very insightful suggestions and timely as well. A lot of us probably deal with this sort of issue through work and also during times of the year that entertaining is prevalent. i.e. We've hosted three dinner parties in the last three weeks; luckily two were on Saturdays and the food was pretty healthy anyway so it wasn't a problem so far.

I often find that I am the one in charge of planning work-related meals/receptions/breaks, etc. and I try to plan "smart" choices. And luckily I get so busy facilitating everything, I don't have time to partake, at least until a real mealtime rolls around.

I appreciate your ideas though. I'm sure they will help a lot of us!
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:39 pm

Good post KCCC! Your plans are very well thought out! It's thinking ahead like this that saves us from the little surprises that try to sneak up on us.

It's a lot like the rest of No-S. You have a plan in advance and it's easier to say "No!"
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett

shmena

Post by shmena » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:10 pm

Great ideas!
How do you deal with dessert buffets at parties? I tend to eat way too much, and even tho its an S day I do not feel in control, and then feel horrible after. I keep saying I'll sit down, but then nobody else is sitting, so I stand around the buffet nibbling.
Any concrete suggestions, or self talk to help you get thru that challenge? I don't lose weight, because any losses during the week when I am strict with my N days, then add back up over the weekend when I have a lot of social activities.
"Our doubts are traiters, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt"
William Shakespeare, "Measure for Measure"

Marianna

Post by Marianna » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:04 pm

Shmena--I am not sure whether what I am going to tell you is strictly NoS, but after several weekends of idiotic S days, I remembered something someone wrote on here--wish I could give credit to the original poster--that I would only have an S (on an S day) that someone offered me or that was part of a social event--thus, the several social events I have planned this weekend will no doubt include sweets and seconds--but I won't be shopping for donuts or buying candy bars in addition to my socializing. Did that make sense? It is a huge relief to have given my S days a little bit of structure in this fashion.

I love the advice on conferences--I attend many of them, and have been worried about how to handle it!

Marianna

shmena

Post by shmena » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:05 pm

Thank you so much for the advice. I'll try it. I just read The End of Overeating, which basically talks about how sugar, fat, and salt act like drugs in our bodies and stimulate us to want more and more. I know that is definitely happening to me. But I know if I tell myself I can never have sugar again, it is all I will crave!!! So, I'm hoping that telling myself I can have one plate, no seconds, and must eat it sitting down, slowly will help.
"Our doubts are traiters, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt"

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:19 am

shmena wrote:Great ideas!
How do you deal with dessert buffets at parties? I tend to eat way too much, and even tho its an S day I do not feel in control, and then feel horrible after. I keep saying I'll sit down, but then nobody else is sitting, so I stand around the buffet nibbling.
Any concrete suggestions, or self talk to help you get thru that challenge? I don't lose weight, because any losses during the week when I am strict with my N days, then add back up over the weekend when I have a lot of social activities.
I think those are extra hard.

For most buffets, there's more than dessert. I eat other stuff if I can count it as a meal.

If it's an S-day and I mean to have a dessert, I'll try to decide ahead how much. Two-three items, or one plateful, or whatever. Then I'll scope out what's REALLY good, and have that (as opposed to eating my way through ALL of it). Don't waste stomach space on second-rate stuff - smaller quantities of the good stuff are more satisfying.

Maybe space out what I plan to have in terms of time. If I'm going to have three items, and I expect the party to last three hours, have one an hour. (I haven't tried this, but I'm thinking it might address the "can't have/must have" counter-urge.)

It helps me to drink a lot (non-alcoholic, or limited alcohol!). Holding a glass feels as "social" as holding a plate.

And lower the "food cues." Move away from the buffet, and stand with your back to it. Get engaged in a lively conversation with someone. If you can't find anyone to talk to, leave early - there's no point to being there!

And, if I do binge out on an S-day (and it STILL happens, despite how long I've been doing No-S), I groan, then "mark it and move on." Physical discomfort means (1) you're getting in better touch with your body, and (2) it's starting to demand better of you. A learning experience.

Hope some of these work for you!

PS - the "lose on N-days gain on S-days" is very normal at first. It tends to even out over time, as the N-day habits take hold on S-days. That can take a while, especially if you have a long history of dieting (I know), but it DOES happen. So don't worry too much about the S-days, just focus on the N-days.

shmena

Post by shmena » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:45 pm

KCCC,
Great ideas!!! You are so right that if there is no good conversation, then why be at the party! Sometimes the food is the only thing I look forward to, so I need to change my mindset.
I love the idea of spacing things out. Maybe putting it all on one plate, so I know the limit, and then trying to eat one thing every hour or so, etc. so I have something to look forward to. I don't know if taking a small bit, and then going back later would work too, or cause me to eat uncontrolled. I'll experiment.
KCCC, I want to thank you for all your wonderful posts! You are an inspiration to me. I am relatively new to No-S, and I haven't really lost any ( in fact I gained because I think I am overdoing it on S days), but I am holding in there because I know this is THE WAY! Listening to your encouragemnt has helped because I see that it takes time to develop the new habits which is what it is all about. I already see myself developing new habits. Now its just about eating a little less. ( sometimes I find myself eating a big plate even if I'm not that hungry because I'm afraid I'll be hungry later, so I'd better fill up now when food is here! I only want to lose 7-8 pounds, so it is hard to lose anyway. I exercise 6 days a week, and dance twice a week (folk dance for an hour to hour and a half), but I maintain because I eat too much!! I make excuses... oh... I exercised a lot I can eat this! But NO-S is the way for the long term and I have a lot of faith in it. Reading your posts reassure me that this will work. So, thank you again.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:15 pm

I don't have much to add, except that I think this is a wonderful post! :)

EDIT: OK, I do have something to add! When I went to Disney World for my honeymoon in Dec, we were on the meal plan. Each meal was afforded a dessert. So... I ate dessert about 2x a day. We're talkin lovely Mickey-shaped rice crispy treats with the ears dipped in chocolate, chocolate cake, carrot cake, ice cream... I swear I came out of there 5 lbs heavier! So yeah, if you travel a lot, this advice is awesome.

(As a side note, I don't regret letting go on my honeymoon b/c I was soooo happy. I watch what I eat all the time, so it was nice to let loose and completely relax).
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:23 pm

I read once that honeymoon got its name because a new couple would eat honey for an entire lunar cycle to celebrate the new marriage. I don't know if it's true or not but it sounds nice.

Since a honeymoon is - for most of us - a once in a lifetime event, it's ok to treat yourself.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:42 pm

Nichole, I totally agree with Blithe Morning that a honeymoon does NOT fall in the same category as work travel! :)

And really, I didn't start being so careful about travel until there was a lot of it. When it was a rare thing (thus, by definition, "special"), I'd take some extra S-days and not even think about it.

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:04 pm

shmena wrote:How do you deal with dessert buffets at parties?
There are lots of great ideas here.

Brian Wansink's excellent book Mindless eating has some recommendations about how to avoid overeating at buffets. These include:
  • Keep at a distance from the food.
    Put only two items at a time on your plate.
    Fill up on low-calorie vegetables.
    Enjoy conversation, and concentrate on that rather than the food.
    Arrive late (so the most exciting food has gone) or leave early (to avoid additional helpings).