Rewards thread

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Vigilant2010

Rewards thread

Post by Vigilant2010 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:34 am

Mimi and I have been working towards weekly rewards for a little while now, and we find that it really motivates us to accomplish a green Monday-Friday.

If this idea appeals to anyone else--whether your reward is daily, weekly, monthly, or at some interval--feel free to share your ideas for rewards here and we'll cheer you on!

This week I'm attempting to earn curtains for the sliding glass door in my living room. And well, as of today, I'm hoping there's an emerald ring in my future. But that's another thread altogether. :wink:
Blogging my way to a healthier lifestyle at http://www.21days-at-a-time.blogspot.com

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:13 pm

My reward this week will be...let's see...

I've done a pedicure, outdoor flowers, sandals...hmmm...

All the talk of *sparkly emeralds* put me in mind to go with my (or Thalia's, I should say!) original idea for this week and get some green jewelry (NOT an expensive emerald though...I will save that for an important milestone!)...

So I ordered an inexpensive *jade* ring - thanks Debs! This will be to celebrate tomorrow being my 21st day! Providing today and tomorrow are green!

Let's hear from others who are planning rewards - I could use some ideas!

Mimi :D :mrgreen:
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

marleah

Post by marleah » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:46 pm

It's always really hard for me to think of rewards that A) don't involve food and B) don't involve money - I'm broke! Of course, you could always say that your S-day treat (food) is a reward for a good week ... but that's not really how they are used.

Here are a couple of ideas I've come up with ...
- checking out a movie at the library (free! unless it's overdue)
- a nice long bath with candles and a trashy novel (or classic lit or whatever is your speed)

Ok, so that's not very many free rewards that I've thought of - apparently I need some help in this area too! :)

There are also ways I've thought of to "reward" yourself as you exercise (I know, I know) - if you typically walk for exercise, take a different route or take a camera along and see if you have any good photo ops along the way call a friend and walk with them ... buy yourself a jump rope (cheap). These aren't typical rewards, but you are doing something good for yourself.
- vegan grad student -
- 5'2" starting at 140-145 in March 2009 -
- S-Days Saturday and Sunday -

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:04 pm

This sounds REALLY corny, but we're going to the Jersey shore for my sister's b'day June 27-28. Being comfortable on the beach is going to be reward enough for me :).. I've been losing about a lb per week so I hope to be about 142. I might buy myself a pretty coverup for when I want to go on the boardwalk from the beach (I do NOT ever walk on the boardwalk just in my suit). ;)
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:34 pm

My reward is zipping my skinny jeans without having to lay down on the bed.

:lol:

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:26 pm

When I first started No-S, I realized that I had used food so much as a reward that I had lost touch with what ELSE I liked. Sort of like having tunnel-vision.

Journaling helped that. One exercise that was particularly effective was to write lists to the following stems (at least 5 items, try for 10, do it fast and don't overthink it):

I love the SOUND of...
I love the SMELL of...
I love the SIGHT of...
I love the TOUCH/FEEL of...
I love the TASTE of... *

(* It's okay to include this. You can break it out to N and S later... I realized there was a lot of N-compliant foods that were special to me!)

Then I started including more those things in my life. Many of them could be done in little ways... I buy flowers for no reason at the grocery (cheaper than the $$ I used to spend on junk food!), play music I like more frequently, etc. Some things I just remember to stop and enjoy more, like the smell of rain.

It is a real reward just to live a live that's more full. :)

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:30 pm

These are ALL great ideas...and very rewarding! I don't want to have to be spending money either - that's not something I do for myself very often...

Something KCCC pointed out to me - and worth mentioning again - is that the constant *chattering* in my head is gone because of NoS and that, in itself, is a HUGE reward. Those of you who battle yourselves all the time know what I am talking about! NoS brings so much peace with it - at least it does for me. Quite the reward!

Thanks for your ideas guys!

Mimi :D

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:35 pm

mimi wrote: Something KCCC pointed out to me - and worth mentioning again - is that the constant *chattering* in my head is gone because of NoS and that, in itself, is a HUGE reward. Those of you who battle yourselves all the time know what I am talking about! NoS brings so much peace with it - at least it does for me. Quite the reward!
I agree with Mimi. With all other diets I've been on I was constantly thinking about food (planning, counting, measuring). With No S, I just think about food at mealtimes, and the occasional temptation where I have a little debate in my head as to whether I'm going to give in or not.

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:22 pm

Great perspectives and ideas! Thanks everyone! I especially like the free/inexpensive options.
Blogging my way to a healthier lifestyle at http://www.21days-at-a-time.blogspot.com

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:33 pm

Kinda OT - but I love that you buy flowers at the grocery store, KCCC! I always think about it - just last night I did - but thought "oh I shouldn't.." I really should!
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:38 pm

I too like the plan of a long bath, candles and a trashy novel... around here I'm doing good if I can have a magazine behind a locked-the-kids-out door. I spent years never even going to the bathroom alone, so... one step at a time. :wink:

I also get a great free reward tossing out old clothes that don't fit anymore. I think I'll make a ceremony of it all and plan on tossing a few 'too big' things out after a successful week or a certain amount lost. Maybe even have it on the bonfire! Even if there aren't any that are too big, I know I have some that simply make me feel fat when I wear them and those should go too. We feel better if we know we look better. I have so so many clothes, I think I could toss one a day for a while. (Don't tell my hubby I said that!!!)
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:39 pm

I love the idea of a sensory pleasure list like that.

One thing I've been doing this spring is ordering perfume samples - for a dollar a pop or less, I get to smell something new. What's funny is that since I've gotten interested in perfume, I swear that my sense of smell has gotten stronger! It's like I've trained my brain to pay more attention to that input.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:04 pm

Just for grins, I'll start a sensory list here... anyone welcome to share. Maybe we can get ideas from each other!

I love the SOUND of... gentle rain, windchimes, music, children's laughter (or anyone's), the wind in the trees, purring cats
I love the SMELL of... fresh-cut grass, honeysuckle, scented candles, cinnamon, mint, baking bread
I love the SIGHT of... flowers, a clean house, the sky in all phases, smiles, a stack of books I want to read, anything colorful, my new garden
I love the TOUCH/FEEL of... knitting yarn of all descriptions, kitty fur, good body lotion, hugs and tickles, a cool breeze
I love the TASTE of... fresh strawberries, watermelon, ripe peaches, chocolate (of course), grilled veggies (this list could get long easily!)

Anyone else?

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:34 pm

Oh, I want you to come conduct a lesson with my students on sensory writing KCCC! What a great idea - yours could actually be a poem!

Betty

Post by Betty » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:00 pm

This thread is a really good reminder for me, as I try to get back into the swing of No S. The first time around I would reward myself weekly if I did no s and stuck to my exercise goals, and the thought of the reward did help a lot.

One thing that was really satisfying to buy after a good week (not cheap, admittedly) was workout clothes.

But it's funny, isn't it, how easy it is to think of food as a reward, and how hard it is to come up with other things that nourish us in other ways? I think what a lot of our rewards have in common is an element of "me time." Time to do what we love, for ourselves, whether it's exercising or reading a trashy novel or listening to the wind and rain.
Be your own best friend and advocate. Be gentle and kind to yourself. Your weight is not the problem.

Before: 140
During: 140 (again!)

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:34 pm

You are sooo right Betty! I bet I could think of a *food reward* in a snap! :oops:

Mimi :D

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:58 pm

mimi wrote:Oh, I want you to come conduct a lesson with my students on sensory writing KCCC! What a great idea - yours could actually be a poem!
The nice thing about doing this little exercise (and the reason I encourage it) is that it's like priming the pump... afterwards, you think of all the other things you COULD add to the list. Sunrises, the sound/smell of a crackling fire, waves at the beach, etc. It's like it helps you pay attention to your own life, instead of seeing it through a filter of food. I like doing it every few months - my lists change over time. Very seasonal, sometimes!

It's quite fun to do as a group - it does sound like poetry, and people enjoy recognizing things they love on each other's lists. So do consider doing it with your class! :)

Also, I loved your story on your daily thread about "pretty toes" - sometimes it's the little things (especially the ones that are fun or whimsical) that just make our day. All we have to do is notice them!

harpista

Post by harpista » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:41 am

~reneew wrote:I too like the plan of a long bath, candles and a trashy novel... around here I'm doing good if I can have a magazine behind a locked-the-kids-out door. I spent years never even going to the bathroom alone, so... one step at a time. :wink:

I also get a great free reward tossing out old clothes that don't fit anymore. I think I'll make a ceremony of it all and plan on tossing a few 'too big' things out after a successful week or a certain amount lost. Maybe even have it on the bonfire! Even if there aren't any that are too big, I know I have some that simply make me feel fat when I wear them and those should go too. We feel better if we know we look better. I have so so many clothes, I think I could toss one a day for a while. (Don't tell my hubby I said that!!!)
Renee this is the BEST IDEA EVER. I got excited like a little kid thinking about a fat pants bonfire.

I normally donate all my unwanted clothes to the Canadian Diabetes Association, but, I may have to save some of the choicest and most particularly awful to have a ceremonial burning!!! :shock: :shock:
Nulla palma sine pulvere.
'No garland of victory without first the dust of the arena.'

Sometimesians, unite!