10 things you need to know about losing weight : Mp3 file

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

bluebunny27

10 things you need to know about losing weight : Mp3 file

Post by bluebunny27 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:07 am

10 things you need to know about losing weight.

Alright, I just saw this awesome 2009 documentary produced by a television station in the UK.

It's called "10 things you need to know about losing weight"

I thought I would watch it to know what I have been doing *WRONG* (of course !) ;-)

They were giving awesome tips and tricks for an hour straight, things to do to lose weight, things that made sense and were all really good to know.

It was all making sense and taught me a few things I can use in the future as well (I was already applying most of the methods they were describing but I also learned a few things in there.)

- Eating more dairy products,
- Exercising to boost your metabolism
- Eating a bit more protein, especially for breakfast
- Using smaller plates
(...)

I could record the audio from the program using this software I have and send it to people who would be interested to listen to the show (you can understand perfectly well what they are describing so it's really not 100% necessary to have the video, you see, the narrator explains it well so you really can benefit even just listening to what they are talking about.)

According to my calculations, the .mp3 audio file would be around 30mb in size ... Running time, 59 minutes.

I'd upload it to a free service like YOUSENDIT.com and then send it using the e-mail addresses of people here or elsewhere (if you know some people who are not members who would like to listen to it as well, it's all good) who are interested in listening to it.

Those people could then follow the simple instructions to download the file to their computer and listen to it at their convenience using any program that plays .mp3 files, even .mp3 players.

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

Disclaimer : I am following a more extreme version of the 'No-S' diet.
I made my own personal modifications to the original plan (Diet & Exercise)
What I am doing should not be misinterpreted as being a typical 'No-S' diet experience.
11/01/2008 : 280.0 pounds - - - 06/05/2009 : 214.0 pounds
7 months 5 days / 66.0 pounds
Last edited by bluebunny27 on Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:59 pm

Hi !

Here's the direct link to get the file I recorded and uploaded to the Yousendit.com servers.

*** NOTE, the file will only be available there for 7 days then it will automatically be erased by their system. Max. nb. of downloads : 100 times. So grab it early before time runs out, lol ! ;-)

This should be easy :

To download the file :

"10 Things You Need To Know About Losing Weight - June 2009.mp3"

You can go here :

https://www.yousendit.com/download/MnFn ... WUFLSkE9PQ

or here :

http://tinyurl.com/n2yevr

Then when the page opens you will see a green rectangle in the upper right corner
of the page where it says : "Download"

You click on it and then follow the procedure to save the file to your computer
directly.

You can play it using any software that can handle .mp3 files or even a .mp3
player.

File size : Approx. 28mb Running time, 59 minutes.

The quality sounds pretty good. I set a 64kbps bit rate since I didn't want the file to be too large.

Good luck on your journey !

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

What I am doing should not be misinterpreted as being a typical 'No-S' diet experience.

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:07 pm

Got it! Thanks Marc! Now to find an hour to listen to it... :lol:

Mimi
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:41 pm

Not an hour, Mimi ... 59 minutes. :-)

I thought the program was very useful and contained many good tips and simple things you can do as well to help you lose weight and also prevent cravings.

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:55 am

I was listening to it when my hubby was in the room and he started listening. He's now worried that I'll make all of our dinners into soup. Ha!
I should tomorrow... :wink:
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

Marianna

Post by Marianna » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:59 am

I loved that little piece of information! Now I am working out which of my meals I should turn to soup so I won't be so hungry--I had soup for lunch today, and it is the first time I havent had to have a "second lunch" at 3pm and made it all the way to dinner, so maybe there is something to it (or maybe it is all in my head!)

Marianna

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:07 am

Wow, yea. I had chili today and it stuck with me too. Hmmm.. Now I'm looking at the menu... Hamburger soup, fish soup, spaghetti soup? Maybe. Sub sandwich soup??? With a side of potato chip soup :wink: and apple... sauce. :idea:

But seriously, it's definitely worth the effort to try! Especially on cold days. We'll have to remind ourselves of this when fall rolls around again!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:20 am

Glad you liked it ! Wow, I made the recording late last night, using a scheduler so it was all done by this morning when I woke up, I didn't even have to watch it while the sound was being recorded...

Yes, the soup thing .. I hadn't heard of that before ! It sounds terrific. I was researching this to buy some kind of 'juicer' or a food processor, looking for thick soup recipes, etc. (In the program the soup was a bit on the thick side, it wasn't thin watery soup, yogurt consistency) Of course it's better to make your own, because it costs less than store bought and they may add salt and things you don't want in there ... Great tip to avoid hunger and cravings !

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

Marianna

Post by Marianna » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:02 pm

If you can afford it, I highly recommend the Vitamix blender for soup making--it even heats the soup thru friction!

I am thinking--I make a 'green shake" most mornings: kale, turnip/dandelion greens etc, filtered water, frozen blueberries, maybe a scoop of protein powder--it is very filling and lasts me a good long time--I am thinking the same principle operates here--

Marianna

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:11 pm

My in laws went on a soup diet and lost a lot of weight....

I will definitely listen to this and download it at home (I'm at work from about 8-4).
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:20 pm

Yes, I was thinking about this later on ... it makes sense.
When you eat oatmeal for example you seem to feel full for a long time, same principle with creamy thick soups possibly. I'll investigate this a bit more, sounds like a good plan to avoid cravings sin any case.

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

11/01/2008 : 280.0 pounds - - - 06/10/2009 : 212.8 pounds
7 months 10 days / 67.2 pounds

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:54 pm

Food researcher Barbara Rolls wrote a book called Volumetrics based on her research, and she highly recommends soup as a relatively low-calorie food that is extremely filling and satisfying. One thing I love about soup in cold weather is it warms you up so efficiently, and you feel all warm and cozy and full for a long time.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:57 pm

If there are just 10 things, could someone list them? I don't have time to download/listen to the audio, but I'm curious as to the list. Would appreciate the "Cliff Notes" version.

harpista

Post by harpista » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:32 am

KCCC wrote:If there are just 10 things, could someone list them? I don't have time to download/listen to the audio, but I'm curious as to the list. Would appreciate the "Cliff Notes" version.
Same here!
Nulla palma sine pulvere.
'No garland of victory without first the dust of the arena.'

Sometimesians, unite!

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:58 am

Can't help ya! Haven't found the *59* (Marc!) minutes yet to listen to it!

I'll try to listen now that school's out, and then see if I can give you a condensed (ha! all this talk of soup!) version. I *think* one of the 10 things to do is to...hmmm... eat soup!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:39 am

10 Things You Need To Know About Losing Weight
  • 1. Don't Skip Meals
    2. Use Smaller Plates
    3. Count Your Calories
    4. Don't Blame Your Metabolism
    5. Protein Staves Off Hunger Pangs
    6. Soup Keeps You Feeling Fuller For Longer
    7. The Wider The Choice The More You Eat
    8. Low Fat Dairy Helps You Excrete More Fat
    9. Exercise Goes On Burning Fat, Even While You Sleep
    10. Keep Moving And Lose Weight
There's the Cliff Notes, but I don't think you'll really get it all as much unless you spend the 59 minutes listening to the program. There's really some important details that are missed in the list. It's a good program.

It's late, so I can't get into it now, but I'd like to add that I have a problem with #1, don't skip meals. The science tells us that if you skip meals, your hungry brain will actually get more 'excited' about high calorie foods than low calorie foods. But I see this as a problem only if your willpower is overcome by this and succumbs to the high calorie foods. I have successfully skipped meals and used my willpower to avoid hi-cal foods. So I say, it's still about willpower.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! (Yay S-days!)
--- Stephen ---
My No S Diet Progress
"Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer."

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:25 am

Yeah, that's why I didn't list the 10 items. You have to listen to the program to get all the explanations, especially the part about the huh .. 'Dairy and the fat excretion' ! :-) I don't like 'Cliff notes'. I kept the .mp3 file in my archives for future perusal.

Oh, everyone knows you're verrrrrrrrrry powerful, Stephen ...You're will power'ed !! :-)

Hey, I watched the hockey game tonight, game 7, Stanley Cup. I won't spoil it here if someone else recorded it of course. Great game though and what an ending ! I appreciate seeing the goaltender's LEAP OF FAITH with 2 seconds to go. Amazing leaping abilities. I was pleased with the outcome of the game personally.

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:19 pm

sgstarling wrote:10 Things You Need To Know About Losing Weight
  • 1. Don't Skip Meals
    2. Use Smaller Plates
    3. Count Your Calories
    4. Don't Blame Your Metabolism
    5. Protein Staves Off Hunger Pangs
    6. Soup Keeps You Feeling Fuller For Longer
    7. The Wider The Choice The More You Eat
    8. Low Fat Dairy Helps You Excrete More Fat
    9. Exercise Goes On Burning Fat, Even While You Sleep
    10. Keep Moving And Lose Weight
There's the Cliff Notes, but I don't think you'll really get it all as much unless you spend the 59 minutes listening to the program. There's really some important details that are missed in the list. It's a good program.

It's late, so I can't get into it now, but I'd like to add that I have a problem with #1, don't skip meals. The science tells us that if you skip meals, your hungry brain will actually get more 'excited' about high calorie foods than low calorie foods. But I see this as a problem only if your willpower is overcome by this and succumbs to the high calorie foods. I have successfully skipped meals and used my willpower to avoid hi-cal foods. So I say, it's still about willpower.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! (Yay S-days!)
Thanks so much!

Most of that list is stuff I've heard before - but I was curious as to what they included. (I'm a researcher by profession and nature, and have a lo-ong history of maintaining my weight through successful dieting before No-S, so have a decent handle on most of the studies for someone who is NOT in the nutrition/medical field.)

The one that's most controversial is #8, because most of the studies that show effect were funded by the dairy industry. Other studies (not funded) have more ambiguous results. Still, low-fat dairy will probably not hurt most people, and will help many who don't get enough calcium, so it's rather benign advice overall.

And while I know that #7 is true, it's counter to the "eat a variety of foods" advice given in order to get a range of nutrients. So, that one is a balancing act, to me. :)

I do think that #4 is VERY important. Even though there's genetic variation, and life is unfair... it's better not to use that as an excuse. Well, it depends on how one uses the knowledge that metabolisms vary. Recognizing that one's metabolism requires one to pay more attention is one thing; deciding not to try (and thus ensuring failure) because of metabolic tendencies is another.

Of course, as you point out, I have not listened to the actual show so may be missing nuances of the arguments.

Thanks again for posting! :)

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:17 pm

The part about the dairy and the fat excretion. They convinced me 100% that it was working. It was all very precise and scientific too.

They analyzed the FECES of a young man who ate similar meals 2 weeks back to back, the only difference between week 1 and 2 was that he was eating more dairy products (a bit less of the other items to even things out). His EXCREMENTS contained a lot more fat when he was on the diet with more dairy products included. (So he was excreting the fat about 3 times more efficiently if I recall, 3 to 1 ratio ?)

According to the experts, the young man who weighed 180 pounds could lose about 4 or 5 pounds in a year changing nothing to his habits except including more dairy products into his diet. He was excreting a lot more fat from his food.

I have experienced this too because I have been eating a lot more yogurt and having milk with my cereals often as well. I was rarely eating yogurt or having cereals before I started dieting. Since then I have been eating more dairy products (Yogurt, 5 times more as before, Milk, 2 times more) and it (possibly) contributed to my weight loss as well.

I usually buy 5-6 L. of milk weekly now compared to 2 L. before (I make my own yogurt though so that's another reason I need more milk at the moment.
Weekly, 2 L. of milk is tranformed into delicious and creamy yogurt I make myself.)

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:20 pm

marcdesbiens wrote:The part about the dairy and the fat excretion. They convinced me 100% that it was working. It was all very precise and scientific too.

They analyzed the FECES of a young man who ate similar meals 2 weeks back to back, the only difference between week 1 and 2 was that he was eating more dairy products (a bit less of the other items to even things out). His EXCREMENTS contained a lot more fat when he was on the diet with more dairy products included. (So he was excreting the fat about 3 times more efficiently if I recall, 3 to 1 ratio ?)

According to the experts, the young man who weighed 180 pounds could lose about 4 or 5 pounds in a year changing nothing to his habits except including more dairy products into his diet. He was excreting a lot more fat from his food.
Thanks for telling me the details. However, I'm not convinced. The extra fat could simply have COME FROM the dairy products (even low-fat dairy has a high proportion of fat). Eating more fat would naturally result in excreting more. So, their conclusions about long-term weight loss may well have been based on an erroneous conclusion. We would have to examine the actual study to see how reliable it was (and that would include the funding source).

In addition, many of the eating recommendations that work in labs just don't make a difference in real life - too many uncontrolled variables that interact. (One of my favorite quotes: In theory, theory and practice are the same. But in practice, they're not.)

I will say that since low-fat dairy has a number of nutrients that most people are a little skimpy on, plus protein, plus they probably displace less-desirable foods, adding a few is unlikely to do any harm and may very well do quite a bit of good overall. I'm just not convinced about their superior fat-excreting powers.

That was really the only item in the list I questioned. And since the dairy studies really are quite ambiguous and open to multiple interpretations, it sounds like the overall show was VERY good and well worth sharing. Thanks!

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:40 pm

Thanks marc. Very interesting. I particularly agree with the one about too many food choices. I have found that if I eat more or less the same breakfast (yogurt with flax seed, fruit, etc.) and the same lunch (a giant salad with boiled egg, shredded cheese, lots of veggies, vinaigrette dressing, etc, then just a normal plate of whatever dinner is - I do better. Better than staring at the fridge and saying, Hmm what's for breakfast, what's for lunch, I mean.

I had homemade veggie soup for lunch - on a Saturday no less.

But, I am splurging and eating a couple handfuls of animal crackers with my Diet Dr Pepper while I web surf. First snack since last Saturday, guess I could have aimed a little higher but I am trying to maintain my weight, and my sanity.

I bought the hubby a four pack of giant iced cinnamon rolls at the bakery department of the grocery this morning. He ate one with a tall glass of cold milk when I got home, I ate my soup.

It's all good.

:wink:

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:42 pm

KCCC "Thanks for telling me the details. However, I'm not convinced. The extra fat could simply have COME FROM the dairy products (even low-fat dairy has a high proportion of fat). Eating more fat would naturally result in excreting more. So, their conclusions about long-term weight loss may well have been based on an erroneous conclusion. We would have to examine the actual study to see how reliable it was (and that would include the funding source)."

******** Hum, possible ... although those were not crackpot scientists. That show was on the BBC in the UK. It looked like legit research to me, all monitored. They must have evaluated everything carefully, all the parameters. I think the young man was eating low fat dairy products too, so the extra fat excreted must not have come from there especially since it didn't sound as if he was eating only dairy products, just adding a bit to his daily diet. They had all the angles covered, the calcium in the dairy products prevented fat molecules from being absorbed. The scientists were making sure he ate the same meals/menus both weeks, same days, same food, same amount of calories, same fat content ingested, etc. I was impressed the way they were analyzing everything, sending feces samples to the lab, the results were impressive in any case, twice as much fat was excreted. If it had been 5% more I would have thought, oh, maybe that's not such a big difference ?? .... but 100% more ?? ;-) It's one thing you can do, not the most important one, and it has to be low fat/calories dairy too, not Haagen Dazs ice cream bowls 6 times a week ... but anything that can help is a good idea in my opinion. This could be the difference between remaining at your current weight or gaining 1-2 pounds in any given year, which most people do ...

KCCC "it sounds like the overall show was VERY good and well worth sharing. Thanks!"

******** It's not too late if you want to download it, the link is still up there and valid. I kept the file myself since it was such an interesting program. It was serious material with day-to-day things that you can change easily, not anything too extreme with people having their stomach stapled, that sort of thing.

Berry, that sounds good ! I have this text file on the computer with my basic meal ideas, well, everything I eat and when ... all the choices are there, only nutritious healthy food is listed. I call the file : "Typical day" ... then it takes me a minute and I erase all the things I won't be eating (I usually do this the day before) It leaves on the page only the things I'll be having and when .. depending when I am training too, all that ... then I print it out. Works out fine for me and it takes 2 minutes daily, I have all my choices and I pick and choose among those in advance the evening before ... I carry the piece of paper in my pocket... it's not written in stone of course, I often make changes, the times ... sometimes I move things around, a bit but I rarely add anything to the list there... if it's not on my piece of paper, I'm not eating it, ;-) Most times it's not that hard really, I know how much and what I should eat by now, over 7 months into my JOURNEY. ;-)

It helps to select what I'll be having the next day instead of opening the fridge at random, it's all written down in advance, you see.

I update the 'Typical day' file often depending on what I have has leftovers, that sort of thing ... when there are specials at the grocery store I pick those items, etc. I was eating one kiwi per day last week for that reason, nice special on the kiwis.

Cheers !

Marc ;-)