Protein breakfasts killed sweet cravings!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

bonnieUK

Protein breakfasts killed sweet cravings!

Post by bonnieUK » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:20 am

Hi peeps,

I had a "duh" moment regarding protein intake and just thought I'd share!

I've been having problems over the last several months with cravings for sweets and carbs (mainly biscuits, cake, cookies etc). I've had many a failure day as a result. I think much of this is to do with stress at work, plus a kind of vicious cyle factor (eat too many carbs/sweets, mess up glucose & insulin levels, crave more sweets, etc. etc.). I was a fairly well behaved No S-er until recent months (my main No S goals have generally been weight maintenance & avoiding over-eating).

Anyway, I recently read "The Schwarzbein Principle" which basically advocates restricing carbs, eating ample proteins and real full fat foods (butter, eggs, nuts, avocados, good oils etc). I don't agree with all recommendations in the book (don't plan on giving up caffeine any time soon!) but much of it makes sense.

I looked at the vegetarian menu plan in the book and to me it seemed quite do-able and compatible with No S, so I thought I'd try my own adapted version (slightly less restrictions on carbs - as I'm fairly active with no excess weight, less emphasis on unimaginative eggy breakfasts, less butter, more olive oil instead).

The main thing I noticed is that having a protein rich breakfast, such as 1 slice of wholegrain toast with butter, sliced tofu (1/2 pack) or 2 scrambled eggs, plus chopped tomatoes not only left me completely satisfied well until lunchtime, but left my appetite much lower for the whole day with zero sugar cravings.

I mean zero. A colleague offered me chocolates/cookies (a daily test of willpower where I work, one which I often fail), no interest in eating them whatsoever.

I stood in a Queue at a supermarket right in front of the Krispy Kreme donut stand admiring the pretty glazes/sprinkles, but still no craving whatsoever. The donuts didn't even seem like "food" to me.

I've been eating the higher protein breakfasts for just over a week and find that I'm not hungry until lunchtime, and as long as lunch emphasises protein (e.g. beans, tuna, egg, tofu) & veggies and isn't too carb heavy the lack of hunger/cravings continues until dinner.

Feeling less hungry is good, but absense of sugar cravings is a real bonus.

I consider this a "duh" moment because I know many people consider it normal to eat a protein rich breakfast (e.g. eggs) but I grew up with breakfasts of cornflakes, coco pops, frosties etc (no wonder I had ADD!).

About 2 years ago when I first started No S many people here told me to add protein to breakfast to help with hunger, cravings etc, guess it took some time for that message to sink in :lol:

I guess this is why Reinhard likes nuts with his oatmeal!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:07 pm

Congratulations! That sounds great.

I can't say I consciously emphasize protein at breakfast or other meals, but it's almost always there (milk or cheese or eggs at breakfast, nuts at lunch).

Reinhard

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:37 pm

I agree, the days that I start with a chicken breast and stir-fried veggies are my BEST N days, no question.

Most days I just don't have time for that, and it's a bowl of cereal, but with a hard boiled egg, which does help some.
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:25 am

Stir fried veggies sounds like a good idea, I always find those nice and satisfying.

The success of the protein breakfast thing has got me thinking about having more "dinner" like meals for breakfast, such as stir fried veggies with quorn pieces, tofu or egg. I'll definitely try it on a day I'm feeling organised enough to prepare veggies (or I guess I could prep the night before) :)

My skin is looking a bit brighter and healthier since upping my protein intake which is a definite bonus alongside feeling less hungry.