What have you read about the importance of snacking?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Kathleen

What have you read about the importance of snacking?

Post by Kathleen » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:16 pm

I used to feel hungry all the time. Now I don't think about food unless it is mealtime. I think the reason why is I am pre-disapproved, as Reinhard put it in his book.

I thought I'd start a thread on the reasons why snacks are supposed to be so important. I start now with something I just read in a local grocery store magazine:

Lunds and Byerly's organic&natural (June 2009):
"Take nutrition on the road with foods that can survive temperature changes a little rough-and-tumble. Think unsalted nuts and seeds, dried fruits, apples, granola and energy bars, whole-grain crackers, and other shelf-stable, natural snacks. They'll help prevent low blood sugar, which can negatively impact mood and energy levels."

Kathleen

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:18 pm

A favorite of women's magazines such as SELF:

"Snack in between meals to prevent hunger that will make you over-eat at meal time"
But, wait a minute: so, am I eating extra calories in between meals to prevent eating extra calories at meal time?... huh...

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:11 am

I went to a physical with my dr last year and I told her about how I was doing noS (right when I was still doing well, before I did TERRIBLE and gained a ton again). She told me to "be sure to have a snack between meals to keep your blood sugar up." Isn't that precisely the problem? Blood sugar's up all the time which makes us feel hungry all the time, which makes us eat more calories throughout the day, which makes our pancreas's work overtime, which makes us develop insulin resistance which leads to diabetes.... ugh
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:01 pm

I just got Real Simple magazine, and the cover story is: 27 ways to snack smarter: Why eating all day is actually good for you." I turned to the start of the article, and here it was: "How to Snack Smarter Three squares a day? That's old thinking. The new way to stay lean, conquer cravings, and get all your daily nutrietns is to master the mini meal."

Oh, this should be good. I'll bring it with me to read when I'm with my in laws this weekend. Constant snacking produced the constant feeling of hunger for me.

I still think my main problem with obesity is gullibility. I believed the nonsense written by experts.

Kathleen

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:24 pm

I know this isn't very no-s of me, but I do not totally write off snacks. I like yogurt in the afternoon to break up the time between lunch (which is between 11-12) and dinner (which is usually around 6:30). If not, I get really weak, I can't concentrate, my stomach growls really loud. And them my dinner isn't overly huge at ALL, so it all balances out.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:28 pm

Kathleen wrote:I just got Real Simple magazine, and the cover story is: 27 ways to snack smarter: Why eating all day is actually good for you." I turned to the start of the article, and here it was: "How to Snack Smarter Three squares a day? That's old thinking. The new way to stay lean, conquer cravings, and get all your daily nutrietns is to master the mini meal."

Oh, this should be good. I'll bring it with me to read when I'm with my in laws this weekend. Constant snacking produced the constant feeling of hunger for me.

I still think my main problem with obesity is gullibility. I believed the nonsense written by experts.

Kathleen
Sounds like a pile of junk. I always get fatter with snacking then trim up with 3 squares. I don't see how they can try to justify this kind of "new" thinking. The real world facts just don't support snacking for staying trim. To be honest, I am finding it harder and harder to listen to any dietary advice coming out of USA, UK or Australia at all now. We are the fattest cultures on earth yet we continue to try to delude outselves into thinking we have answers to it with new ways. Another interesting thing to note is that the bluezones (longest lived and healthiest hotspots) don't snack.

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:58 pm

I think the word "snack" is a problem in itself because it conjours up (for me at least) images of sugary granola bars, crisps, corn chips, cookies etc. and the notion that you can graze all day whenever you are hungry. I'm reminded of my poor old cat who's bowl of meow mix seemed to be constantly re-filled by whichever member of our busy household noticed it was empty. Not surprisingly he was an obese, lethargic cat. If I'd been wiser back then I'd have put him on a No S pet plan (Reinhard's next invention? :wink:)

That said I don't think everyone needs to stick to 3 squares per day, it doesn't suit me personally - 4 smaller meals suits me better in terms of energy levels and appetite.

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:09 am

^ The key distinction being you treat them as meals. I'm all for that. I posted a bit of a spiel (or maybe it was a rant? :D ) about it actually just yesterday in this thread.

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... 2773#62773

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:09 am

Real Simple magazine said it's not enough to have snacks that are simple like an apple. Instead, you need to have snacks that are like satisfying because they are combinations like protein and carbs. Come on... When do people have time to prepare and schedule three meals and two to three snacks per day? That's constant eating.

For me, a 50 year old woman, I have adjusted nicely to three meals per day and don't think about food in between. I have a 13 year old son who may need to eat more frequently, but I don't! He can last through a school day without snacking. The snacking obsession keeps kids focused on food, food, food... I like to see them so engrossed in what they are doing that food is the last thing on their mind. Over the Fourth of July, they weren't all that interested in constant eating because a cousin's husband had his boat, and they could try tubing and water skiing.

In school, wouldn't it be nice if they focused on schoolwork and learning and not have snack time in the mix?

Kathleen