weird question: not eating enough??

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gryphon128

weird question: not eating enough??

Post by gryphon128 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:21 am

Hi there,

First time poster here - been doing No-S for about a month now.

Long story short: I lost quite a bit of weight counting calories but started doing No-S because (1) I need something more sustainable than doing math all day - I hate math! and (2) I was looking for a way to control the amount of sugar I eat, which might be characterized as TOO MUCH.

So I'm more or less already at a healthy weight, and I'm fairly active (no car, so I walk/cycle everywhere). But I'm wondering if it's possible that on N-days I'm not eating enough calories? The reason I say this is that during the week I'm still hungry all the time, and also I'm sleeping quite a bit more than normal (and feeling like I need it). I think I'm eating normal sized meals - I certainly don't feel deprived at meal-time, at any rate, and I'm pretty sure I'm eating more than when I was counting calories (when I literally was hungry all the time). But is there any chance that I am actually not eating enough? Or is it just that it's taking my body a bit longer to adjust to the "no snacks" thing?

Thanks for your help! :)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:51 am

Can you give us an example of what you're eating?
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Spudd

Post by Spudd » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:14 pm

Why don't you count calories for a day or two and see how many calories you're taking in on No-S? As long as it's a reasonable level for you (you should know based on your previous calorie counting experience) then I'd say you're not eating too little.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:07 am

I agree that counting calories for a few days might help give you a picture of what's going on.

If you're hungry between meals, you might look at what's ON your plate. I found I needed a bit more protein than I used to eat, and did better when I had complex carbs with it.

Have you raised your activity level? That sometimes makes you want more sleep, just so your body can repair.

It does take some time to adjust to no snacks, but a month is pretty reasonable, so it's wise of you to check.

gryphon128

Post by gryphon128 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:45 am

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies! :D

Re: calorie counting, yes, that is the obvious thing to do - the trouble I'm having is that I eat differently if I know I'm going to count calories (and not just because I have to measure what I eat to know how much it is) - it's kind of a "tracking effect", I guess, where I avoid eating things that I would eat normally with No-S because I don't want to have to write down their calorie count! Still, thinking about it more, I'm sure you all are right, and that the solution is to be found in doing that. I just need to come up with a better method!

Re: changed activity level, I don't think that's it - my pattern hasn't varied much for the last 6 months or so. (Still, it is summer, which encourages me to be outside more in general, so maybe...)

KCCC, what kind of protein-other stuff balance do you tend to eat?

winnie96

Post by winnie96 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:54 am

gryphon128 wrote:the trouble I'm having is that I eat differently if I know I'm going to count calories (and not just because I have to measure what I eat to know how much it is) - it's kind of a "tracking effect", I guess, where I avoid eating things that I would eat normally with No-S because I don't want to have to write down their calorie count!
I think you've brought up an interesting issue. No-S is about just eating vs tracking anything other than habit compliance. But if you're struggling, you might need to (shudder) track, but if you're tracking you may not get a true reading due to that "tracking effect". I still don't quite know what to do with this conundrum -- would be interested to hear anyone's thoughts on this ...

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:05 am

gryphon128 wrote:
Back when I did WW, I tended to "short" myself on protein because it took a lot of points that I preferred to "spend" on snacks. Took me a while to realize that.

I usually follow a rough "plate division" of 1/4 protein, 1/4 carbs, preferably complex, and 1/2 fruit/veg. That's a rough guideline only - many days I eat dishes that can't be so neatly divided - but gives an idea.

Another question, going back to your issue... where are you in terms of "healthy weight range"? If you're at the top, you may end up losing a bit more. Reinhard lost below his original goal, and suggests (somewhere) to eat moderately and move moderately and see what happens.

But the feelings of hunger you're describing seem a bit extreme, so I'm wondering if you're just not eating food that "holds" you a while.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:47 am

KCCC wrote:
gryphon128 wrote:
Back when I did WW, I tended to "short" myself on protein because it took a lot of points that I preferred to "spend" on snacks. Took me a while to realize that.

I usually follow a rough "plate division" of 1/4 protein, 1/4 carbs, preferably complex, and 1/2 fruit/veg. That's a rough guideline only - many days I eat dishes that can't be so neatly divided - but gives an idea.

Another question, going back to your issue... where are you in terms of "healthy weight range"? If you're at the top, you may end up losing a bit more. Reinhard lost below his original goal, and suggests (somewhere) to eat moderately and move moderately and see what happens.

But the feelings of hunger you're describing seem a bit extreme, so I'm wondering if you're just not eating food that "holds" you a while.
I do pretty much the same thing except that with those dishes that can't be so neatly divided, I allow a serving of about 1 cup. I just "eyeball" it. It's generally about 1/4 to 1/3 of the plate. The rest of the plate is more vegetables and/or fruit.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

gryphon128

Post by gryphon128 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:57 pm

Thanks again for the help :)
Hmm... I am fairly close to the top of my healthy weight range, so that's a possibility! (Although, having just replaced a substantial part of my wardrobe with clothes that fit my current weight, I hope I won't lose too much more - I can't afford another wardrobe makeover that soon!)