Granola bars

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

guadopt1997

Granola bars

Post by guadopt1997 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:13 pm

In line with the discussion of what's for breakfast, would a Nature Valley granola bar packet (two thinish granola bars) with yogurt be considered an N-day breakfast? Or is that too much sugar? (11 grams)

winnie96

Post by winnie96 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:22 pm

For me, it's too much sugar, but the larger problem is that I tend to treat granola bars as cookies (i.e. eat the whole box), so they are not something that I want in the house. If I were pressed for time and could buy just one, I think that particular brand might be a better choice that some of the others, or, say, doughnuts ...

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:31 pm

I guess everyone has their limitations and it's good to know what they are. I don't think I would eat more than one packet. But get me around a pizza, and that's another story...

Today's my daughter's 12th birthday and she wants her favorite--Papa John's. I had a RED day a couple of weeks ago around this so I'm toying with the idea of just having something else, equally enjoyable to me, but portion-controlled.

I do love sweets and can go way overboard, but they are mostly not an issue on N days. Maybe pizza should be an S day thing for me. And, now that I think about it, what better excuse for an S day than my daughter's birthday?

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:48 pm

I think granola bars are basically glorified cookies, so for me they are an S.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:15 pm

guadopt1997 wrote:I guess everyone has their limitations and it's good to know what they are. I don't think I would eat more than one packet. But get me around a pizza, and that's another story...

Today's my daughter's 12th birthday and she wants her favorite--Papa John's. I had a RED day a couple of weeks ago around this so I'm toying with the idea of just having something else, equally enjoyable to me, but portion-controlled.

I do love sweets and can go way overboard, but they are mostly not an issue on N days. Maybe pizza should be an S day thing for me. And, now that I think about it, what better excuse for an S day than my daughter's birthday?
Your daughter's birthday IS an S day! Enjoy the pizza!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:49 pm

If you look online you can easily find home made recipes to make your own granola bars, cookies, treats, etc.

http://www.usaweekend.com/06_issues/060 ... smart.html

That would be healthier for you since commercial granola bars often have a lot of sugar (And they are expensive !) Plus you know your granola hasn't been MESSED WITH. ;-)

Go easy on that though because granola has a lot of calories of course.

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

Disclaimer : I am following a more extreme version of the 'No-S' diet.
I made my own personal modifications to the original plan (Diet & Exercise)
What I am doing should not be misinterpreted as being a typical 'No-S' diet experience.
11/01/2008 : 280.0 pounds - - - 06/23/2009 : 211.0 pounds
7 months 23 days / 69.0 pounds

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:29 pm

AFAIK, a homemade granola bar or cookie is still a granola bar or a cookie -- just a higher-quality one. A good treat for the weekend.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:41 pm

Thalia wrote:I think granola bars are basically glorified cookies, so for me they are an S.
I was thinking candy bars.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:23 am

Though I don't generally eat granola bars either, I'd consider them a gray area. The rule isn't no "sugar," it's no "sweets."

Like muffins, which can be very reasonable or simply an un-iced cupcake (and usually a huge one), granola bars vary in terms of how "sweet-like" they are.

For me, I try to avoid them unless in emergency mode, and then get the least candy/cookie-like one I can find. However, if you have been eating worse things for breakfast before, and this constitutes an improvement... then go for it.

It doesn't have to be a perfect choice to be a better one. (And you can improve again in increments.)