why are "snack foods" so unappealing on a plate?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

BigE

why are "snack foods" so unappealing on a plate?

Post by BigE » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:43 pm

I'm on day 2 of no s and I've been putting my favorite snack foods on the plate next to my other foods. It's just not nearly as appealing to eat salt&vinegar almonds while sitting at a table and eating off a plate. I went through this years ago when I attempted to follow the advice in a book about emotional, unconscious eating. The Rule in this book was that every single thing you ate had to be off a plate while sitting at a table, without any tv or radio on. That killed my desire to eat completely. It was such a long-held, ingrained habit though that I soon quit and went back to my old ways. I'm hoping that the "s day" approach will help me kick the habit once and for all.

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:51 am

BigE, I think we all discover different things about ourselves when we begin NoS! All kinds of discoveries - which is good!
For me it's just the opposite - to be allowed to toss a few chips or nuts on my plate with my sandwich or whatever, if I so desire, is soooooo freeing after years of thinking they were *taboo* if I was on a *diet.* Or something that had to be eaten when no one else was watching...
For me living the NoS lifestyle has almost completely eradicated my *good food* and *bad food* way of thinking. Now food is food...I just have to eat it a little differently than I used to! No snacks, no sweets, no seconds, except sometimes on days that start with S! I really do love it!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

Over43

Post by Over43 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:23 am

Isn't it a psychological thing? You reach into a bag of chips, or a bag of BK and eat. Put it on a plate, look at it, study it, and become repulsed. Today I was in a hurry, so my first meal was a bacon egg burrito from BK, with the tots, and an iced mocha. I ate the tots until I got to work, spilled the remainder onto a napkin on my desk, took a look, and threw them out.

J.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:20 pm

Since starting No S (almost 2 years ago now) I have had hardly any desire to eat snack foods. I used to quite like tortilla chips, pretzels and kettle chips. But now I'd much rather eat carbs in the form of something substantial (like buttered warm wholegrain bread, or warm chapatis with Indian food :P) rather than something crispy & crunchy.

That said though, when I was a kid, my grandparents often used to make me & my sister a supper plate each (eaten at about 9pm if we'd had dinner quite early) consisting of a ham or corned beef sandwich, a tiny bit of salad and a tiny amount of potato crisps, plus some nuts & raisins. We used to put the crisps in our sandwiches. Very occasionally I like to put crisps in a sandwich just for nostalgia value :D

MysteryLover

Post by MysteryLover » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:40 am

Another Geneen Roth fan?? That was my absolute biggest resistance. I could not seem to eat my snack foods sitting down at the table on a plate with no tv, newspaper or book. I could never get myself to commit to that step. Hello: big red flag waving! LOL.
--Gina (a.k.a MysteryLover)
03/01/2017: 195.2
Current: 174.6
Goal: 145.0