Celebrate Eating

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

BigE

Celebrate Eating

Post by BigE » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:40 pm

So this was my "a-ha" moment this morning at breakfast: I felt so HAPPY with anticipation as I sat down with my breakfast. I've always liked breakfast anyway, but often lately I don't even sit down to eat my toast. I've been eating standing up as I prepare breakfast for my daughter or unload the dishwasher.
Anway, back to the happiness. It felt so good to sit down to my plate of blueberries and toast, and perfectly cooked fried egg. As I reflected on how I actually felt good about eating, I realized that Reinhard is really right on when it comes to emotional eating being a form of punishment rather than comfort. I don't actually feel particularly good or happy when I sneak the cookies at night, or mindlessly munch on snack foods while doing other things.
AND the No S Diet perfectly structures eating so that it DOES become something to celebrate again. I haven't even had an S day yet, but it's not just about the S days -- the simple act of sitting down to regular meals with a pleasantly empty stomach is making me enjoy eating again in a profound way!

spleener

Post by spleener » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:33 pm

That's great! I've only been doing this a few days, and my experience with breakfast was similar today. I went to McDonald's after I'd been at work for a few hours, and instead of taking it back to the office, I ate it there. I read "In Defense of Food" after reading Reinhard's book, and one of Michael Pollen's suggested rules is to always eat at a table (and not to count a desk as a table). Taking ten minutes to eat my food there was actually a lot more enjoyable than wolfing it down in my car or at my desk. I only had a half hour window, but I was still able to eat without rushing and make my 9:30 meeting.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:17 pm

spleener wrote:That's great! I've only been doing this a few days, and my experience with breakfast was similar today. I went to McDonald's after I'd been at work for a few hours, and instead of taking it back to the office, I ate it there. I read "In Defense of Food" after reading Reinhard's book, and one of Michael Pollen's suggested rules is to always eat at a table (and not to count a desk as a table). Taking ten minutes to eat my food there was actually a lot more enjoyable than wolfing it down in my car or at my desk. I only had a half hour window, but I was still able to eat without rushing and make my 9:30 meeting.
I think another rule should be "Never eat in your car."
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:11 am

Is it a paradox? To enjoy your food more, eat less often!

Sounds strange, but it's true! mmm,mmm is it true!
--- Stephen ---
My No S Diet Progress
"Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer."

winnie96

Post by winnie96 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:16 am

sgstarling wrote:To enjoy your food more, eat less often!
What a succinct wrap-up of the No-Snacks portion of No-S -- I've posted volumes trying to say the same thing! Great summary -- says so much, and it's so true!