Noticing self-talk on S-days

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kccc

Noticing self-talk on S-days

Post by kccc » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:17 pm

Okay, this is going to take some background that comes perilously close to navel-gazing... you've been warned. Turn back now if it bothers you. :)

As many of you know, I come from a family that tends to obesity. I was heading down that same path, but lost weight in my early 20's and maintained that weight loss until mid-life metabolic slow-down + a baby made life more difficult. The way I maintained during all those years I now see as a very painful method in contrast to No-S - basic substance-accounting diets, with all the attendant issues around food.

During those years, one particularly "sore spot" related to visits to my parent's home. To my mom, "food is love," and she is a major "food pusher." I, on the other hand, had a tense relationship with food and did NOT want to eat like everyone else in my family. So...the minute I walked in the door, mom would start offering me stuff... and wouldn't take "no" for an answer. She would begin listing special things she'd made "just for me," followed by the contents of the fridge and pantry, and I would refuse. This exchange would continue until I totally lost patience and snapped at her. At that point, she would "put on the martyr act" (as I thought of it then) and tell me in a very wounded voice that I didn't need to snap at her. (I felt I DID, because she wouldn't take "no" for an answer when I said it politely!) So, we would begin each visit with this fight. Lovely. And, surrounded by food cues the whole weekend, at some point I would break my self-imposed eating limits and be filled with the self-loathing that accompanies such a failure.

I hated the whole pattern intensely, so much that I avoided going home as much as possible. (From a more mature perspective, I see the irony that the "love" my mom was genuinely trying to offer actually pushed me away.)

Fortunately, I read "The Dance of Anger" somewhere in my late 20's, and that was a turning point. The basic points of the book are (1) interactions between people are like a "dance," with both partners knowing their steps and participating in the dance (2) you can only change YOUR steps, but if you do, the pattern will change (however, be prepared for pressure to "change back" - even the most dysfunctional relationship is familiar) and (3) anger is a signal that change is needed - but you can be thoughtful about how you approach it.

The book offered "tools" for "changing steps," and one of those was the "broken record" - basically, in situations such as the one I'm describing, to identify a polite, neutral phrase and say it over and over with no change in inflection until the other person runs down. I decided on "thanks, mom, but I'm not hungry right now."

The first time I did it, it took over 20 minutes before she gave up - I know because I started watching the clock during the exchange. But it worked! She DID give up, and I entered the house without that old familiar fight I'd always dreaded. On subsequent visits (which, btw, became more frequent), the ritual food-offering became shorter and shorter. And as I got more confident in my ability, I was able vary my responses to acknowledge the "love" behind the food - "that sounds really good, mom. I'll get some later." We actually reached the point that I had to ASK for food one day when I did arrive hungry! What a turn-around!

At any rate.... now that you're through the preamble... this morning, just after breakfast, I "heard" that EXACT same "broken record" response, only internally.

Me: Today's an S-day. I've got some dried figs in the cupboard, which I love. I could have those for a snack.
Myself: Yeah, but I'm not hungry. I'll get some later. Maybe with lunch.
Me: Oooh, hubby left me a piece of chocolate. He was so sweet to save it all week so I could have it on an S-day. I could have that.
Myself: Yeah, but I'm not hungry. I'll have it later... unless I want something else more.
Me: I could have...
Myself: Yeah, yeah, yeah. But I'm not hungry. Later.

My internal food-pusher, which has already been confined to S-days, is starting to get the message. :)

(PS - To avoid misunderstanding, let me add that my mom is a wonderful person, and the former "hot-button scenario" I described should not be taken as a snapshot of our overall relationship.)

jenglish

Good Idea

Post by jenglish » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:04 pm

Sounds like the broken record I choose to play in my head. :lol: I played the record enough to know that I do not have to snack. Good post!
This is NOT a diet, for me, it is a LIFESTYLE CHANGE

5.16.09: 210 pounds - - - 06/16/2009 : 200 pounds
1 month / 10 pounds

GOAL 140

vmelo

Post by vmelo » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:26 pm

KCCC, I loved reading your post (actually, I enjoy all the posts that I've read from you). I did a double-take when you mentioned the book The Dance of Anger. Many years ago, I went to a therapist to work out some personal issues I was having. She recommended that book to me. I bought it, read a bit of it, but didn't finish because I thought, "This doesn't apply to me!" Fast forward ten years---I finally realized that it actually does apply to me but I could not see that then. What applies to me is that I have people around me who often make me feel as if I "shouldn't" be angry at something that I have every right to be angry about. Being the peacemaker personality that I am, I would often keep my anger inside me because I didn't think I deserved to release it. Thank God I'm aware of this now.

Sorry for the tangent, but I had to post about that book. (Actually, I need to go back and re-read it). I recommend it for anyone who has a problem expressing their feelings when in conflict with others.

mimi

Post by mimi » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:08 am

I also enjoyed your post, as always, KCCC. And now I need to get that book after reading vmelo's comments. I am the eternal peacemaker too, always making sure everyone else is fine...I could benefit from this book probably. Thanks for sharing with us!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

BigE

Post by BigE » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:09 pm

I couldn't have read this at a better time. My own personal Food Pusher is arriving at my house this Friday -- my mother-in-law! It's amazing how persistent the Food Pushers can be! I'll try the polite responses.

I'm a peacemaker too. Which begs the question: is the need to avoid conflict related to problems with overeating?

winnie96

Post by winnie96 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:08 pm

BigE wrote:I'm a peacemaker too. Which begs the question: is the need to avoid conflict related to problems with overeating?
Interesting question, that. I think it does. I'm a peacemaker, too, and have always gone to great lengths to avoid conflict. I'm wondering if KCCC'c "anger" book has something to say about this ...

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:00 am

great post... I'll be keeping this in mind and I plan on developing a new line to feed myself. :wink:
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:18 am

Vmelo, how cool that you've read that book too!

It's been many years since I've read it, but I think it's an "oldie but goldie" with a lot to offer. I've summarized the basic message that I took away for you, but there's a good bit more. In all honesty, it was a catalyst in my life - the story I shared is a very clear example.

As it turns out, I just finished listening to a Zencast series that also focused on anger. (The world is full of synchronicity.) I recommend it highly. The podcast is available on iTunes, if anyone is interested, and the series was very recent.

My take-aways from the latter series...
(1) "Anger" is a broad term, and our feelings are often much more nuanced. Therefore, it's inappropriate to think there is always one "right" response to anger.
(2) Often there are other feelings underneath - hurt, fear, etc.
(3) Exploring your own anger (How are you reacting? What triggered it? What are you feeling physically? What do you want to do? Is there "aversion" in your response... etc....) is a critical step.
(4) And again... you can choose your response.

My take on anger is that it's a "harsh friend" - the "tough love" type. It's a messenger that something needs to be addressed. However, the heat of anger may mask that the "something" is internal. (Like, when you get a critical review of your work... that has grains of truth in it.) Or it may be that boundaries are being crossed that need to be enforced... but perhaps you fear the effect on the relationship.

Identifying the root cause and acting on it with wisdom and compassion (for others and for yourself) takes courage and practice.

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:22 am

Yeah, my mom used to "bother me" too sometimes, always trying to get me to eat more ... grrr.

She is a lot better now actually, I think after so many times I said 'No thank you' when she offered me some cookies/donuts/ice cream ... she got the message !
lol ! ;-)

She always compliments me on my weight loss now and she serves me smaller portions whenever I visit, nice not to have to always 'fight' to get less food, that can become exhausting. I remember once she was trying to get me to eat pizza for dinner or something and I said to her : "I'm trying to lose some weight !!" in a rather annoyed way. Not yellin' of course but a really annoyed tone.

I was annoyed because this was at the end of a month where I was struggling and to make my end of the month objective I really needed to be very green, not pig out on pizza (especially since I have a hard time resisting pizza so I try to avoid eating it as often as possible). I had a salad that day with a lil' piece of chicken instead and I was pleased.

The other day she even said : "You always say NO whenever I offer you sweets !" ...

Sorry 'bout that, mom. ;-)

This turned out to be pretty good as she has calmed down a lot since then, not offering me all sorts of things I don't want to have ... she even 'micro portions' me, I have to tell her to add a lil' more, I eat more than a 7 year old boy, really, just things that are good for me ... ;-)

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

Disclaimer : I am following a more extreme version of the 'No-S' diet.
I made my own personal modifications to the original plan (Diet & Exercise)
What I am doing should not be misinterpreted as being a typical 'No-S' diet experience.
11/01/2008 : 280.0 pounds - - - 06/23/2009 : 211.0 pounds
7 months 23 days / 69.0 pounds

vmelo

Post by vmelo » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:20 pm

KCCC wrote:My take-aways from the latter series...
(1) "Anger" is a broad term, and our feelings are often much more nuanced. Therefore, it's inappropriate to think there is always one "right" response to anger.
(2) Often there are other feelings underneath - hurt, fear, etc.
(3) Exploring your own anger (How are you reacting? What triggered it? What are you feeling physically? What do you want to do? Is there "aversion" in your response... etc....) is a critical step.
(4) And again... you can choose your response.
These are terrific. Thank you for sharing them, KCCC. I think women, especially, have a difficult time with anger as, traditionally, we've been programmed not to express it (although that's changing with some of the younger generation, I think).

I think #2 of the above is really important. I find that knowing the root of my anger helps me to diffuse it (perhaps it's just objectifying it that does this).