Feeling Discouraged

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

janie47

Feeling Discouraged

Post by janie47 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:16 am

Hello All,
I first heard about the No S Diet from the Woman's World magazine last spring. I have stopped and restarted a dozen times if not more! I lost a great amount of weight after having gastric bypass surgery. I went from 322 lbs. to the lowest of 126 lbs. which only lasted about a minute! The honeymoon phase of my surgery is certainly over. I have been getting back into some old bad habits.I have gained back to approximately 185 lbs. I had my gastric bypass surgery in March of 2005. Sometimes I go back and try the Atkins diet or South Beach diet. When I do these diets, it goes well for about a week. Then I become ravenous, and just want to eat everything in sight.
Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I am so ashamed how I've put back on weight.

Thanks,

Janie

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:27 am

Welcome!

I have been noS'ing since Dec. '06 with many starts and stops. I too, hit some ruts along the way and after losing nearly 40 lbs, I gained25 back in a short amount of months by falling back into old habits.

I have come to the boards for support so many times (thanks guys!) which has helped a ton.

Things that help me (and might be helpful for you): 1. It's ok to be a little hungry sometimes. 2. Hungry is just a feeling, it's not really unpleasant, although I think, we've been trained to think that it's a terrible feeling. 3. I won't starve or suffer any serious consequences if I don't eat between meals.

I have to get the kids into the tub but I'll check back later on :)
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:32 am

I honestly think that the no S diet is "normal" eating! I think that most overwieght people have an unhealthy perspective on food. No S seems to me to be the most normal and healthy way to get to the heart of my food issues. I need to heal on the inside, then the outside will follow. If you give it your all, keep it up and have patience... it will come. Do the habitcal and a daily check-in for support and accountability. I've found that the more I read on here, the better I do. Don't give up! Keep in touch!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:44 am

Hi Janie,
I can relate too. I started here in late November, had sucess, fell off the bandwagon around Christmas, gained well over 10 pounds during the winter and restarted No S on June 4. Over the years, my weight has been everywhere from 105 to 193.

Anyway, I've had to come to terms with the fact that being healthy is a life long journey. I remember hearing a saying that "life is managed, not cured." The same is true for achieving and maintaining a healthy weight. It is a commitment that I need to make and remake each and everyday.
I like No S because it feels natural, it doesn't cost $, it fits well into my family's lifestyle and food has become enjoyable again. For me, having a plan, checking in here and doing the Habitcal all definitely help.

One of the keys for me on No S is planning a special treat (or 2) on S days. Yesterday I had some favorite Indian food. Today I indulged in a yummy slice of chocolate cream pie. I didn't binge and I feel completely satisfied. During the week, when I'm forgoing all seconds, snacks and sweets and I want some, I remind myself that that option is only few days away.

Regular, consistent exercise, which is an ingrained habit for me and has been for years, helps too.

Welcome!
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

enmilto

Post by enmilto » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:08 am

Hi Janie,

I joined this discussion group on 6/29/09.

I just started the NO S diet on June 18th after being on a very strict diet on which I lost and gained the same two pounds over and over. This diet is slow and sure losing. Why don't you give it a try. On a 9 inch plate, start off by loading it with food three times a day. That should keep you full between meals. It does me. Also this is a normal way of eating. My husband loves to go out to eat at least once a week. If it is during the week, I get a meal, but I am careful to keep to the no sweets, no snacks, no seconds rule. I make sure I eat breakfast at around 8:00, lunch around 12 or 1:00 and then dinner always around 4 or 5:00, never later. Sometimes if I am hungry between meals I have a glass of milk and it helps. And remember on Saturdays and Sundays and Special days, you can basically eat what you want. So it's something I look forward to.

Don't worry about the past. Start new tomorrow.

Ellie

BrightAngel

Re: Feeling Discouraged

Post by BrightAngel » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:13 am

janie47 wrote:Hello All,
I lost a great amount of weight after having gastric bypass surgery. I went from 322 lbs. to the lowest of 126 lbs. which only lasted about a minute! The honeymoon phase of my surgery is certainly over. I have been getting back into some old bad habits.I have gained back to approximately 185 lbs. I had my gastric bypass surgery in March of 2005. Sometimes I go back and try the Atkins diet or South Beach diet. When I do these diets, it goes well for about a week. Then I become ravenous, and just want to eat everything in sight.
Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I am so ashamed how I've put back on weight.

Janie
Janie:

I don't know if you remember that I had gastric bypass surgery in December 1992.
Lost from 271 to 160--regained to 190, maintained there for awhile,
then dieted my way to my goal weight, which I've been maintaining for 3 1/2 years.

My suggestion is to make an effort to follow the post-gastric bypass rules again.
They are similiar to NoS -- only stricter because of post-surgery body.

A couple of differences ..due to small pouch for tummy..
Make sure that each of your 3 meals consistently has the SAME volume.
i.e. anywhere from 1/4 cup to 1 1/2 cups...but always the same.
No liquids with meals --including soups etc---
Remember no liquids from 15 min before a meal until 1 1/2 hrs after meals,
and then load up with water or other non-caloric/non-carbonated liquids until 15 min before the next meal.

I find getting back to these basic post-surgery rules to be very helpful....
However, Consistency is IMPORTANT.
For the Volume issue to be physically helpful, it really takes a 7 day committment,
and doesn't lend itself very well to 5 days on and 2 days off.
In other words, on S days, one could have sweets, but still no snacks or seconds.

You probably understand why this way of eating is the normal post-gastric-bypass way.
If you want to discuss details, please PM me,
as much of this will probably not be very helpful to people without the surgery.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

janie47

Thanks for Replying :)

Post by janie47 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:00 pm

Thanks to all who replied to my post. I found a lot of encouragement in each of the responsed. Bright Angel, thank you for reminding me of the gastric bypass rules. I am working on them as this morning.

Janie :)