BLT Redux

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

BigE

BLT Redux

Post by BigE » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:53 am

I had a blt for dinner like I normally do in the summertime. Except that this time, I was starved when I sat down to eat it, so I really savored every bite. And this time, there were no surreptitious bites of one (or two or three) slices of bacon before I sat down to dinner, and no mindless dips into more potato chips (I put a small portion of potato chips on my plate.)

Another hidden advantage of the no snacks rule: it's keeping me HIGHLY motivated to keep dinner at the same time every night. When my husband arrived home just in time for our typical 7:00 dinner and asked if he could make a "2 minute" phone call" related to work, I practically snarled and bared my claws at him. We had a lovely meal together, and ignored the ringing of the phone. Bliss!

la_loser

Try a BALT!

Post by la_loser » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:22 am

Agreed- BLT's are the best and how nice it is to really ENJOY them. Our version lately has become what my husband calls a BALT. . . bacon, avocado, lettuce and tomato. . . a really nice twist on the classic!
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

wosnes

Re: Try a BALT!

Post by wosnes » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:49 am

LA_Loser wrote:Agreed- BLT's are the best and how nice it is to really ENJOY them. Our version lately has become what my husband calls a BALT. . . bacon, avocado, lettuce and tomato. . . a really nice twist on the classic!
I call it the BLAT.

Bittman offered up another version last week: the BST. Bacon, spinach and tomato.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:21 am

Had to laugh at the dinner time comment.

Hey, if I have waited patiently to have my third meal and he isn't ready to eat

well, he'll be eating later.

:roll:

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:22 pm

StrawberryRoan wrote:Had to laugh at the dinner time comment.

Hey, if I have waited patiently to have my third meal and he isn't ready to eat

well, he'll be eating later.

:roll:
:lol: I do this too. DH only eats 2 meals per day (and good sized full plates) and doesn't get hungry easily. I'm usually ravenous by 8pm and he's like "but I only ate 8 hours ago, I'm not hungry yet" :shock:

Many days I just start without him :wink:

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:48 pm

Yesterday, our dinner was 2 hours (!!) later than normal b/c we went to the pool after work. Hubby had had a late lunch, child got a plum as a snack... I drank a glass of milk.

We were all RAVENOUS by the time we actually had dinner. But nobody ate junk, so it was all good!

I will have to plan some BLT's or BST's or BALT's once my garden tomatoes come in... mmmm.

BigE

Post by BigE » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:12 pm

We actually did eat BLATs. I'm hoping our tomato plants produce this summer as well. There's NOTHING like home-grown!

I'm stuck in a family in which everyone else is "naturally" thin. Even the dog (standard Poodle) doesn't overeat: she has a continuous supply of food and eats only when hungry; it's a poodle thing. My husband frequently "forgets" to eat, and has coffee for breakfast. It's hard for him to understand my need to eat at regular intervals.