Had my first bad No S day..

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

StrawberryRoan

Had my first bad No S day..

Post by StrawberryRoan » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:26 am

Somehow I convinced myself that I needed to eat more, I was geting too thin, etc.

Hardly. My goal was 140, I was 136 this morning. Not exactly wasting away.

But, I ALWAYS do this. I lose weight easily as I am very committed to goal setting, etc. Then I somehow think that my face is too thin or I notice a wrinkle that wasn't there when I was twenty pounds heavier (probably not, it was under a layer of fat.)

I didn't go nutty and eat a whole cake or anything but I did snack for the first time and ate seconds at dinner (well actually a second piece of cornbread - not seconds on the chicken and eggnoodle casserole thing.)

But I found myself eating a marshmallow or two, a couple animal crackers, just stupid stuff that I felt I "needed" during the day. Has anybody on Earth ever really needed a marshmallow?

I don't like the way I feel. I want to be honest with my boardmates.

I seriously doubt that I will balloon back up and regain all the weight but that isn't the issue. I just want to be normal, eat normal and not think about it so much.

There, I feel better now. And I did get in all my exercise!

:wink:

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:09 am

Hey, I hear you! I had a slip up the other day, so I know where you're coming from (and I just started). Tomorrow's a new day.

vmsurbat

Re: Had my first bad No S day..

Post by vmsurbat » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:27 am

StrawberryRoan wrote:
But, I ALWAYS do this. I lose weight easily as I am very committed to goal setting, etc. Then I somehow think that my face is too thin or I notice a wrinkle that wasn't there when I was twenty pounds heavier (probably not, it was under a layer of fat.)
:wink:
I've never been at the place in my life where I felt *too* thin, but I can relate to looking in the mirror and noticing wrinkles, etc. Honestly, I've found that I can easily alternate between *feeling* fat, feeling thin, feeling like my muscles are coming along nicely, feeling like I've got nothing but flab. I've decided that my *feelings* are a terrible thing to base decisions on. I have no idea why I can feel thin one day and fat the next. But no matter. I'm not letting those feelings run my life, run my emotions, or run my behavior.

If you, in your "saner" moments, believe that there is a real danger of losing too much weight based on your past history, make new goals (since those are important to you) that FIT INTO your current NoS habits. Don't add a snack or seconds or sweets. Instead, make your food at your three meals denser, richer, fuller. For example, make it a point to add a handful of nuts to one of your meals. You could eat as is, sprinkle on a salad, toast and add to veggies--lots of possibilities there. Or be a bit more generous with the olive oil.

We live overseas and have hosted people from every continent (except Antartica). Our guests from places like India, Korea, China do not each *large* meals (ie. huge plates), but they certainly do not eat "low-fat" meals AT ALL. The fat provides necessary satiety and calories. It is only EXCESS fat that is bad for us....

I highlight adding a bit of fat because it might only take a little to keep you from losing too much weight. If you stuck with only fruits/veggies to keep your weight at an appropriate level, it might take undesired quantities to achieve your goal. I once read about some tribal peoples who looked, male and female, as if they were all 7 months pregnant--their diet had very little fat or protein, so they had to eat enormous quantities of roots/veggies to provide their daily caloric needs. Adding a bit of fat is a very efficient way to boost calories WHEN NEEDED.

And as for the slip-up? Slip-ups just shine the light at the little glitches/thoughts/habits that need attention...

HTH,
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:29 am

I had a time in my life when I was quite drastically underweight after an illness, I really wish I had known about No S back then as I believe No S would help the underweight gain as much as it can help the overweight lose (I seem to remember Reinhard said this somewhere too).

Instead I figured being underweight meant licence to eat anything I wanted whenever I wanted. I got to a normal weight within a couple of months (plus a bit extra!) by eating whole packs of cookies, PBJ sandwiches and tubs of Toffuti non diary ice cream.

Another side affect of this was that my DH joined in with my cookie extravaganzas and gained 4kgs which he didn't need (and subsequently lost by doing an incredibly boring vegetarian Atkins type diet).

If you need to gain weight I'd recommend using bigger dinner plates temporarily or maybe adding an extra mini meal.

Or you could try some of my Mother in Law's Greek style halvas on S days (made with semolina, olive oil, honey, brown sugar & nuts) one slice of that stuff is probably about 1000 cals :lol: I don't know the recipe, but you may be able to find a good semolina halvas recipe online.

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:32 am

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:16 am

Thanks to you all.

I feel AWFUL today. Forgot to add that I also ate some pretzels and popcorn yesterday so I am all sodiumed up.

Weigh 139, feel all puffy. Got too much pollen while doing yardwork last night, have a severe headache and scratchy throat.

But, other than that, I'm just great :D

Seriously, yesterday was so strange. I fell back into the staring at the pantry wondering what I should eat mode. It wasn't so much WHAT I ate but that I felt compelled to eat anything other than my meals.

But, maybe I got it all out of my system in advance of the holiday weekend.

yeah, maybe :roll:

Thanks again, you guys are great.

SR
Last edited by StrawberryRoan on Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:23 pm

So sorry Strawberry - but this is how it goes - life goes up and down, in and out, nothing goes perfectly for very long...jump right back on today and keep going. You've identified the slippery behavior and why it happened, so now you've got to have some saving strategies in place for if and when it happens again. I thing all of the suggestions above sound like good ones.
You're a winner *Berry* - you'll be fine!
Read about my horrific experience on my check-in thread - I just wish it had been a run-in with bad food choices!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!