Salad and other bowl foods

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Mistress Manners

Salad and other bowl foods

Post by Mistress Manners » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:13 pm

Today is my first day of my return to No-S (after a too brief trial run last summer). I'm pretty excited, since I've finally gotten zen about my weight and have decided that I will measure progress on days-on-habit for both No S and the Couch to 5K running plan.

So here's my question: How do you treat salads? They're really more a bowl food than a plate food. Plus, they're pretty high in terms of volume-to-fillingness ratio. Do you virtual plate? Do you just order the small bowl at the make-your-own salad bar and fill it up and count that size bowl as your "plate" for the meal? It seems dumb to just avoid salad altogether.

Thanks!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:24 pm

I don't virtual plate green salads or broth-based soups -- but I think I'm the only one that doesn't do that.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:34 pm

I agree, I would just put my salad bowl or salad plate to the side unless it was a huge chef salad or something (which is what I just ate :roll: )

Unless your salad was a "meal", I would assume it was in addition to the plate, just watching the dressing and extras.

SR

Mistress Manners

Post by Mistress Manners » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:07 pm

My salad was my meal. (It had proteiny things in it as well as veggies). So I think I'm just going to say 1 bowl = 1 plate.

spleener

Post by spleener » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:19 pm

I've started doing that with cereal--I had it for lunch yesterday, and for breakfast today. I start with some kind of healthy cereal in a biggish bowl (not cartoon big, but bigger than a regular soup bowl) add some fruit, and call it a meal. I've done the virtual plate thing with a smaller bowl of cereal, leaving room for toast, fruit, etc., but this is actually a lot easier.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:08 am

I could see going either way with my salads. If I put a lot of chicken, eggs, or other protein in it, I'd just call it a meal. If I paired it with a slightly smaller dinner and just added vegetables and some dressing to my salad, I'd keep it in a separate bowl.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:18 pm

It seems dumb to just avoid salad altogether.
Absolutely!

The fact that salad isn't a very calorically dense food is an advantage.

It makes less look like more, and thus seem more filling.

When possible without offending someone, I prefer to put my salad on the same plate as the rest of my dinner. I don't starve. It's really not all that different from other kinds of vegetables.

Virtual plating is a fine option, too. The key is to try to avoid sequential courses, but instead to have both plates in front of you at the same time, so you can see what you're eating and have any excess jump out at you.

In terms of restaurants, unless you're talking very high end, the salads they serve are usually pretty enormous. They could easily be a meal in themselves.

Reinhard

la_loser

Quality vs. quantity

Post by la_loser » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:54 pm

You are correct about the high end restaurants. Isn't it interesting that the more expensive the restaurant, the smaller the portions. Actually the portions there are usually more in line with what might be described as a
"serving' pre-supersizing mentality. It's a quality vs. quantity. And this applies to not only salads but to the other foods as well usually.
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:21 am

The problem is everyone wants "McValue" these days. Why get a decent sized normal meal when you can have an entire trough for the same price? It's pathetic; I can't even eat what is considered a "normal" meal these days at most restaurants and I'm certainly not a small person.