Hello! Newbie intro

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Mounted Ranger!

Hello! Newbie intro

Post by Mounted Ranger! » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:32 pm

I'm new and thought I'd introduce myself.

I saw this mentioned at the Well Trained Mind forum (homeschooling site) and thought I've give a look. It seems so sensible. I haven't got a great deal to lose but enough that I'd really like to give this a try. I've located the book and will pick it up on my errands this afternoon.

As far as modifications go, for the most part I'll tend toward the Fences analogy and stick with it as written -- you just can't beat simple. I guess there is one mod I'll make: I will never give up my evening square of Green and Black's 70%! Never! One square . . . not even close to a serving . . . I won't, I won't, I won't!

I guess there are a couple of things that make me different from the average NSer: I abstain from meat (and have for a great many years) and that won't change now. Also, I'm supposed to be eating a diet high in protein, pair carbs with protein, and eats lots of fuit and veggies. It's supposed to regulate insulin in order to combat some cysts I was recently diagnosed with. I tried out the diet. I have no idea if it's working on the cysts or not but for the first time in years I'm sleeping like a babe! I'm calling it the Sleep Diet and I'm sticking with it.

I'm a Catholic, wife, mom (to one braniac 10 year old girl), homeschooler, asl interpreter. I love to read, be active, listen to and play music, read, plan curriculum, read, and have fun! I love to be outdoors and hiking is a favorite activity but this heat is really getting to me. Also, i love to read.

I look forward to getting to know everyone!

rebecca
Mounted Ranger!
No S-ing, Ranging, and Shovelgloving since 7/7/09

Too solid flesh

Hello! Newbie intro

Post by Too solid flesh » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:54 pm

Welcome, Rebecca!

There are quite a lot of veggies here.

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:01 am

Welcome Rebecca! I believe you will love NoS as much as the rest of us after you've given it a try. It's simple and it works - no more angst about what to eat or what not to eat. It brings a peace to the NoEsser. The best part about it is that no one else ever has to know you're on a diet.
Hey, do you like to read? :wink:

Good luck on your NoS journey!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

vmsurbat

Re: Hello! Newbie intro

Post by vmsurbat » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:21 am

Rebeccca wrote:I'm new and thought I'd introduce myself.

I saw this mentioned at the Well Trained Mind forum (homeschooling site) and thought I've give a look. It seems so sensible. I haven't got a great deal to lose but enough that I'd really like to give this a try. I've located the book and will pick it up on my errands this afternoon.
Welcome, Rebecca! I hope it was *my* post that you saw on the WTM forums. Whenever the chance pops up, I like to insert a quiet post extolling the virtues of the SANE, NoS way of eating (WOE).... I'm not out to try to convince others who are already excited/committed to a different WOE, but whenever I suspect someone looking for a saner approach, I wave my NoS flag.

Enjoy your NoS journey--I certainly have....
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:26 pm

Welcome!!!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:58 pm

Welcome, rebecca!

That sounds like a perfectly reasonable mod, if you think you can manage the tradeoff of perhaps smudged clarity. If it's perfectly clear in your mind that there's a difference between your evening square and sweets in general (or two squares! that's what would get me), then that's all that matters.

Speaking of chocolate, I had the most delicious chocolate I've ever had in my life on Sunday.

http://www.tazachocolate.com/store/Products/AlmMexDisc

But I think I'll stick with enjoying it on S-days. I know I wouldn't be able to stop at a mere square -- and at $4.50 a bar, I think bankruptcy would be a more immediate danger than becoming overweight.

Reinhard

Mounted Ranger!

Post by Mounted Ranger! » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:15 pm

Hey, thanks Everyone for the warm welcome!
Mounted Ranger!

Mounted Ranger!

Post by Mounted Ranger! » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:21 pm

reinhard wrote:Welcome, rebecca!

That sounds like a perfectly reasonable mod, if you think you can manage the tradeoff of perhaps smudged clarity. If it's perfectly clear in your mind that there's a difference between your evening square and sweets in general (or two squares! that's what would get me), then that's all that matters.

Speaking of chocolate, I had the most delicious chocolate I've ever had in my life on Sunday.

But I think I'll stick with enjoying it on S-days. I know I wouldn't be able to stop at a mere square -- and at $4.50 a bar, I think bankruptcy would be a more immediate danger than becoming overweight.

Reinhard
"Smudged clarity;" I love it. Well, maybe I'm in denial and need to come to terms with my chocolate fixation. Still, it isn't as if it were milk chocolate or some other could-not-possibly-stop-at-one kind of chocolate. Then again maybe I'm just justifying and that's more of my denial.

I'll let you know when I've come to terms with that . . . whatever those terms may be!
Mounted Ranger!

Mounted Ranger!

Re: Hello! Newbie intro

Post by Mounted Ranger! » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:28 pm

vmsurbat wrote:
Rebeccca wrote:I'm new and thought I'd introduce myself.

Welcome, Rebecca! I hope it was *my* post that you saw on the WTM forums. Whenever the chance pops up, I like to insert a quiet post extolling the virtues of the SANE, NoS way of eating (WOE).... I'm not out to try to convince others who are already excited/committed to a different WOE, but whenever I suspect someone looking for a saner approach, I wave my NoS flag.

Enjoy your NoS journey--I certainly have....
YES! I just went back and waded through that incrediblly long thread about the Idiot diet to see just who it was. Sure enough . . .

Thanks for mentioning it!
Mounted Ranger!

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:55 am

Welcome Rebecca!

I admire your discipline regarding the square of G&Bs! Not something I could do, I sometimes buy their miniature bars, despite DH's complaint that it's better value for money to buy the full sized ones. I am basically paying a premium for built in portion control :lol:

Happy No S-ing :)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:00 pm

Rebeccca wrote:

Reinhard
"Smudged clarity;" I love it. Well, maybe I'm in denial and need to come to terms with my chocolate fixation. Still, it isn't as if it were milk chocolate or some other could-not-possibly-stop-at-one kind of chocolate. Then again maybe I'm just justifying and that's more of my denial.

I'll let you know when I've come to terms with that . . . whatever those terms may be!
Probably not a lot different than my two nightly (homemade) cookies.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:56 pm

Rebeccca wrote:

Reinhard

Probably not a lot different than my two nightly (homemade) cookies.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:37 pm

Welcome Rebecca.

Love this site, have been very successful and have made a lot of friends.

To your health,

SR :wink: