MSG

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

oliviamanda

MSG

Post by oliviamanda » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:50 pm

Okay, I brought my lunch to work. A packet of cous cous with vegetables to make on the stovetop. I didn't buy it; my mom gave it to me. I read the ingredients and there it is, MSG. : ( I really try to avoid MSG. I know it's in a lot of stuff like Doritos and I try my best to not buy stuff. I had no other alternative for lunch so I ate it, but was upset because it's supposed to be so bad for you. Yes, I know, everything in moderation.
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

jules

Post by jules » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:53 pm

The dangers of MSG are largely exaggerated. There is sodium in it so the biggest reason to leave it behind is if you need to cut down sodium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monosodium_glutamate

Though it is derived from food sources, it is a food additive. Generally the more additives in a food the more highly processed the food is. And, again generally, the more highly processed the food, the less nutritious.

For most of us, the most dangerous thing about MSG is that it's a marker of a processed food.

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:33 am

Unfortunately if it comes in a packet you almost always cop a handful of additives and other rubbish that you would not get in homemade. Homemade takes time though and it's not something a lot of people can easily do for every meal.

I wouldn't be too worried about one meal like that. It's the trend you set long term that really matters. For example: My wife and I have McDonalds (medium sized meal + soft serve cone) once per week. This is just like when I was a child and Friday night was pizza night; it really doesn't matter in the least. But if that suddenly became 4 or 5 meals a week (or how about every meal like most people where I worked last?!) it would be a big problem.