Just to be clear...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jumbotights

Just to be clear...

Post by jumbotights » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:16 am

The only food type that is 'off limits' on non-s days are sweets? I'm just starting and want to go by the rules strictly right now. Thanks for the welcomes too :D

PS) I'm feeling almost giddy that I don't have to load up my grocery cart with bacon and butter anymore!! I can actually eat a banana at breakfast? Yipee! I hope no one at the Atkins board finds me here!!
Last edited by jumbotights on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:26 am

Actually, wouldn't it be wonderful if EVERYONE at the Atkin's board joined you here? :D

Welcome...enjoy your banana!
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

jumbotights

Post by jumbotights » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:59 am

Do most of you eat normal meals, nothing really has to be off limits except on s days?

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:16 am

I eat normal meals. I had mayo on my Subway sandwich for dinner AND a bag of chips.

I ate TWO cheese stuffed noodles (long tubular ones, what are they called?) and a roll and a dollop of veggies for my lunch at a conference today.

I put a banana in my smoothie in the morning (Full disclosure: I add protein powder because a regular smoothie won't hold me till lunch otherwise. And I like a smoothie for a summer breakfast. YMMV)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:27 am

Hi and welcome Jumbotights!
Enjoy your normal food!

Blithe, it's called Canneloni (I think that's what you mean) :D
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:51 am

Jammin' Jan wrote:Actually, wouldn't it be wonderful if EVERYONE at the Atkin's board joined you here?!
Only if they had woken up to the truth of Atkins otherwise it would be quite terrible I think.

vmelo

Post by vmelo » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:10 pm

Blithe, I think what you're describing is manicotti. Deb, a cannoli is a sweet treat, I think. (Boy, am I FAR too familiar with Italian food or what!?).

Spudd

Post by Spudd » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:05 pm

vmelo wrote:Blithe, I think what you're describing is manicotti. Deb, a cannoli is a sweet treat, I think. (Boy, am I FAR too familiar with Italian food or what!?).
Cannoli is a sweet treat, but cannelloni are like manicotti, only smaller. Usually stuffed with cheese and served with tomato sauce. Mmmmm.

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:10 pm

I'll take one (or two) of each, please.

:lol:

Mounted Ranger!

Post by Mounted Ranger! » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:21 pm

Blithe Morning wrote: I put a banana in my smoothie in the morning (Full disclosure: I add protein powder because a regular smoothie won't hold me till lunch otherwise. And I like a smoothie for a summer breakfast. YMMV)
Blithe, have you tried greek yogurt for protein? It's very high in protein and tastes great in a smoothie! I make mine with juice, frozen fruit, a banana, and plain greek yogurt. They are delicious . . . if I do say so myself!
Mounted Ranger!
No S-ing, Ranging, and Shovelgloving since 7/7/09

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:18 pm

The point of No-s is precisely to reestablish normal eating of normal food.

People ate normal food as part of normal meals for ages. They were thin.

The abnormal thing is our modern habit of permasnacking and the self revenge cycle abetted by disgusting diet food.

Eat normal food in discreet, single plate meals, and you will not only wind up eating less, you'll enjoy eating like you never have before.

I NEVER eat anything remotely diety. Full fat milk, plenty of butter and olive oil, full fat cheese, white pasta, plenty of bread. I do eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains as well (particularly oatmeal), but prepared in an appetizing way. Nothing abnormal about that.

And on weekends I enjoy really fantastic sweets without a twinge of guilt -- on the contrary, I view it as my responsibility!

Reinhard

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:42 pm

I for one am wildly excited by the end of my eating and buying of "diety" foods. They are all full of air, sugar, general crap and other things that are probably carcinogenic for all we know. And I got suckered in and bought them FOR YEARS. I've become quite interested in how and where food is sourced, and it is partly down to the fact that I no longer live in London (although I do miss it sometimes..(slightly wistful moment.......) but in the countryside in the West of England. One, the scenery is beautiful. Secondly, there is NO shortage of decent pubs with great local beers and ciders and great food. Thirdly, we have farm shops, and in them you can see where meat fish fruit and veg are from, where and when the animal was slaughtered (sorry veggies out there) and you can actually see the animals roaming happily around. I don't buy any meat or fish from supermarkets any more as you cannot trust the labelling over here and they pump it full of water and other proteins. Disgusting. I may pay a bit more but at least I now support local businesses and am eating better stuff generally (just a bit too much recently!). Oh, and they don't do "diet" or "low fat"- although they will do "lean"- but any butcher worth his or her salt will tell you that a bit of fat makes for a better taste and saturated fats aren't the baddies, it's the trans fats, often also found in diet stuff- that cause the problems.
And as a true bread-head, no pre-packaged pre-sliced for me these days. I even make my own sometimes but not often as I want to eat it all lol.
Sorry to go on- but I feel strongly about this as diet foods are such a waste of time and money. I do accept that I am lucky to be able to source good local foods though!
Dolly x
Start weight: 160 pounds
Current weight: 159 pounds
Target weight: 148 pounds/ <30% body fat/BMI 23

flightisleavin

Post by flightisleavin » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:50 pm

If you go on any other dieting board whether it be low carb, low fat or counting calories or points, it is all about scheming to get through the day. Snacks are a huge concern with entire boards devoted to snacks. Because one is so hungry from dieting there is an insatiatable need for snacks.

Mealtimes themselves are fraught with counting - be it carbs, points, fat grams, whatever but the main focus is on what you CAN'T have. How can you really enjoy a meal (or your life for that matter) if you are constantly thinking about what you cannot have, often the food that you enjoy the most? Food that if eaten in moderation would still allow for weight loss...it is an all or nothing mentality.
Starting date: June 22, 2009. Starting wgt: 220. Goal 120. Current weight: 198. Mindset: Celebrating moderation.

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:26 pm

reinhard wrote:I NEVER eat anything remotely diety. Full fat milk, plenty of butter and olive oil, full fat cheese, white pasta, plenty of bread. I do eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains as well (particularly oatmeal), but prepared in an appetizing way. Nothing abnormal about that.
Just like the long lived Mediterranean’s. No skim, light, low-fat, diet crapola for them. I feel exactly like you Reinhard and won't touch diet anything either. It's fake junk and most of the time they put worse stuff back into it to replace the goodness they stripped out.

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:29 pm

Dolly wrote:I for one am wildly excited by the end of my eating and buying of "diety" foods. They are all full of air, sugar, general crap and other things that are probably carcinogenic for all we know. And I got suckered in and bought them FOR YEARS. I've become quite interested in how and where food is sourced, and it is partly down to the fact that I no longer live in London (although I do miss it sometimes..(slightly wistful moment.......) but in the countryside in the West of England. One, the scenery is beautiful. Secondly, there is NO shortage of decent pubs with great local beers and ciders and great food. Thirdly, we have farm shops, and in them you can see where meat fish fruit and veg are from, where and when the animal was slaughtered (sorry veggies out there) and you can actually see the animals roaming happily around. I don't buy any meat or fish from supermarkets any more as you cannot trust the labelling over here and they pump it full of water and other proteins. Disgusting. I may pay a bit more but at least I now support local businesses and am eating better stuff generally (just a bit too much recently!). Oh, and they don't do "diet" or "low fat"- although they will do "lean"- but any butcher worth his or her salt will tell you that a bit of fat makes for a better taste and saturated fats aren't the baddies, it's the trans fats, often also found in diet stuff- that cause the problems.
And as a true bread-head, no pre-packaged pre-sliced for me these days. I even make my own sometimes but not often as I want to eat it all lol.
Sorry to go on- but I feel strongly about this as diet foods are such a waste of time and money. I do accept that I am lucky to be able to source good local foods though!
Dolly x
Great post Dolly. My wife and I have been doing this as best we can for some time now. Unfortunately living in a city we can't source directly as often we would like but we certainly eat much more real food then we used to. It's awesome to see other like minded people around such as yourself. :)

princesspamf

AMEN!

Post by princesspamf » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:31 pm

I'm reading and soaking up all that has been said in this post thread and it resonates so strongly for me. I was a child of the alternative lifestyle of the 60's...vegetarian, not vegetarian, grow your own, dumpster diving, home birth, communal living and lots more I can't think of at the moment. (Can't forget not shaving my legs = ) But as time passed and I shifted into "regular" life, I lost the connection to the good things about that lifestyle...the affirmations of this post about eating normally helps remind me.

I am soaking it up and thankful to have been led here.
Pam
Last edited by princesspamf on Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do or do not. There is not "try". ~Yoda in:
The Empire Strikes Back

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:32 pm

Bushranger wrote: Just like the long lived Mediterranean’s. No skim, light, low-fat, diet crapola for them. I feel exactly like you Reinhard and won't touch diet anything either. It's fake junk and most of the time they put worse stuff back into it to replace the goodness they stripped out.
Chiming in here..
I actually learned something the other day from watching some tv show about diet food. My Mom always buys "Low Fat Mayo", and thinks she's being very virtuous.. Well apparently this programme mentioned that, low fat mayo has *FOUR* times the amount of sugar of regular mayo..
Guess I'll just keep having the regular kind because I'd rather save my S's for a chocolate bar.. :wink:

gratefuldeb67

Re: AMEN!

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:34 pm

princesspamf wrote:I was a child of the alternative lifestyle of the 60's...vegetarian, not vegetarian, grow your own, dumpster diving, home birth, communal living and lots more I can't think of at the moment. (Can't forget not shaving my legs = )
LOL :D
You sound fun!
Welcome!
8) Debs

princesspamf

Post by princesspamf » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:40 pm

thanks. I feel welcomed. It is a nice feeling!

I don't know about fun...but my adult sons say they describe me as eclectic! Hmm...I think that's a compliment...= )

Pam
Do or do not. There is not "try". ~Yoda in:
The Empire Strikes Back

winnie96

Post by winnie96 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:17 pm

flightisleavin wrote:If you go on any other dieting board whether it be low carb, low fat or counting calories or points, it is all about scheming to get through the day.
I love your use of the term "scheming" in this context!

For me, it instantly conjured up the image of Snidely Whiplash from Rocky & Bullwinkle, when we skulk through the day trying to outwit the calories, carbs, points, or whatever ... As opposed to us Dudley Do-Right No-S-ers, who approach each day with our heads held high, establishing our good habits without having to resort to subterfuge!

Great quote -- thanks!

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:12 pm

And, I, of course am Nell.

The poor damsel tied (always loosely of course) to the railroad tracks!

:wink:

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:37 pm

HA! Leave it to you Berry! That's a good one!

Truthfully - about the scheming - I learned more BAD habits attending WW from the other members who were always coming up with all KINDS of schemes and tricks to eat and still lose weight at the weigh-in. One girl would weigh in (after having practically nothing all day), go across the street to BK, buy a big meal and come back into the meeting where she would sit and consume it. Can you imagine??! And that's just the tip of the iceberg! Most of it involved eating virtually no points - or very low points - at meals so that an ooey-gooey WW desert could be had. Well, enough...I'm so glad I discovered NoS!!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!