And what do you do on vacations?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mimi

And what do you do on vacations?

Post by mimi » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:23 pm

We are getting ready to go away next week and I am getting apprehensive about it because I don't want to undo all the habit building I've done. Previously on the first try with NoS, vacation is what messed me up. I got off track and never managed to get back on.
So please, some suggestions as to how to handle being on vacation. I DO NOT want to derail again! Help!

Waiting to hear from you all,
Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:25 pm

HI Mimi, I'm with you here- I am off on vacation myself on Friday too- just for a week but a whole lot of damage can be done :-) However I have found that if I have deprived myself too much I end up resentful and blowing everything. My plan, for what it's worth, is to do exactly as I would on No-S, so the weekend will be more relaxed, otherwise it's still three plates- but that will be whatever I want it to be and if it's sweet, then fine- as long as it isn't an additional snack or meal. I'll still stick to the no seconds, and virtual plate if I am having more than one course. My biggest fear is drinking- we are staying with a friend who loves his wine- so I will have to watch that (I'm a cheap date anyway in that regard!)
I'm off to a Greek island so there will always be greek salads and kleftiko, and I don't actually like greek desserts other than yummy greek yoghurt and honey, but that is really filling and I tend to have that with fruit for breakfast. So I will TRY to stick to these guidelines!
But have fun- that's what vacations are for!
Have a great time
Dolly x
Start weight: 160 pounds
Current weight: 159 pounds
Target weight: 148 pounds/ <30% body fat/BMI 23

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:38 pm

I don't worry. It often seems like I get such little time off that it won't make a difference, and when I'm wherever I happen to be going I tend to eat less than usual because there's more fun to be had instead. I am, however, slightly odd and have come to enjoy the feeling of my stomach rumbling.

I imagine the above doesn't help, so the other suggestions I have are:

1) Stick to No-S as normal (probably the easiest route).
2) Allow yourself one S per day. This gives you something to be strict with, as you'll have to decide whether the treat you want now is worth possibly passing one up later, but still lets you loose a touch on holiday.
3) Allow yourself an S whenever it's something you can't get at home. Combine this with 2), above, for less stress.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:39 pm

Before No-S, I didn't usually gain weight on vacations, because I'm usually more active. but over Memorial Day weekend, I didn't do well and it took me another 4 days to get back on track. Gained 5 pounds.

Actually, I've been struggling with the same 5 pounds ever since, even though I've been pretty steady with my habits up until the last couple of weeks when I've had a couple red days here and there.

I lthink I need to recommit and focus on my plates. Need to get ready for 3-week vacation in August, 2 away, one at home.

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:47 pm

I just returned from a 10-day vacation, and I decided to treat the whole thing as a series of S Days, but not go crazy. We were celebrating three family birthdays plus the fourth of July in there, and I figured that trying to restrict was setting myself up for failure!

What I found was that during that entire time, I maybe had two or three non-sweet snacks -- I just wasn't that intersted in eating between meals, which is so shocking to me I can hardly express it. However, I did have homemade birthday cake several nights, ice cream several other nights, and we made a stop at the fabled Bruce's Candy Kitchen in Cannon Beach, Oregon, so I had some jelly beans and a piece of seafoam candy.

I also walked on the beach pretty much every day, we did one good hike and some strenuous sight-seeing, and on the last day I treated my daughter to horseback riding on the beach.

We're back now, and my weight is down. I expect to reach a new low easily later this month. So, some not-crazy S day action and a bunch more walking added up to a nice vacation balance, and it was thoroughly enjoyable!

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:17 pm

Mimi, I'm in the same boat, heading out for 2 wks on Friday.

And I (still) have a history of (occasionally) over-the-top S-days, so certainly don't want 14 S-days in a row! :)

Also, since weekends tend to blur for me when I'm on holiday, I am considering just treating all my days relatively the same.

What I'd decided to do was to be very firm about "no snacks" but not worry as much about the others. Perma-snacking seems to be my downfall, and I feel much better when I don't do it. If I have seconds or desserts **with a meal** they seem much less de-railing.

So, I'm thinking one S per day, IF I want it... but it HAS to be truly Special. No wolfing down an ordinary candy bar just because I can. I want something unique to the area, or just plain extra-ordinary. An S-worthy treat. Sometimes.

(Aside: this reminds me a little of Elaine on Seinfeld talking about "sponge-worthy" dates, which amuses me.)

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:15 pm

Personally, I mostly stuck to my healthy way of eating when I went on a four-day vacation to OC, NJ. However, I had one SMALL treat and picked one meal to splurge on each day. That is, one of my meals was something I love and never get to eat. For instance, one day I had cereal for breakfast, a salad for lunch and then a huge plate of speghetti for dinner, and a small ice cream in a cup (NOT a cone!) for dessert. Another day I had small pancakes for breakfast, boardwalk fries for lunch, and chicken and veggies for dinner. I didn't gain any weight during my vacation and even lost a pound.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:35 pm

I play it by ear, but I don't plan to splurge daily or multiple times per day.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:39 am

Great ideas! Thanks guys! I like the idea of allowing one S per day that several of you mentioned. I will still have the structure of NoS (that is very much needed), but the flexibility of enjoying some special treats too.
I appreciate all your input - I'm feeling much less apprehensive now. I think I'll be okay! Like Dolly and ThomsonsPier said, vacations are supposed to be fun!

Mimi :D

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:12 am

An S-worthy treat. Sometimes.

(Aside: this reminds me a little of Elaine on Seinfeld talking about "sponge-worthy" dates, which amuses me.)
I love it KCCC!
Great vacation advice! An S-worthy treat - sometimes!
That needs to definitely go in the sticky thread for NoS Catch phrases! Of course, the Seinfeld connection is priceless. :lol: You're great.[/code]

winnie96

Post by winnie96 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:59 am

I just returned from a two-week No-S mega-disaster in the UK -- had a wonderful, wonderful time, but it was definitely not No-S compliant.

Had a lot of time to think about it on the way home and came to two conclusions:

(1) My overeating was for social and travel reasons, not the compulsive "can't get enough" type of eating I was used to before No-S. (By "social", I mean that we were on holiday with friends, celebrating birthdays and being together, and by "travel" I mean stopping for tea periodically to break up the driving). So even though I characterize the trip as a No-S "mega-disaster", I don't feel that it has done any permanent damage to way I usually eat. ("It's not what you do once in awhile, it's what's you do most of the time").

(2) I've been No-S-ing pretty faithfully for almost a year; this trip was really the only time that I consciously made a decision just to take it as it comes. As a result, I had several days of feeling really stuffed and unhealthy, and am feeling like that right now. (I'd forgotten what heartburn was!) But I think I might have been taking the wonderful way I feel when following No-S a bit for granted, and this major overindulgence has brought my genuine desire to feel that way back into focus. So I'm pretty excited about getting back to "normal" and feeling great again.

Of course, I could be rationalizing a bad decision, but I really do think, in a perverse sort of way, abandoning No-S for this limited time will ultimately be a benefit.

BTW: The net gain was five pounds, so give me a week or so -- we'll see what tune I'm singing after that!

Gia

Post by Gia » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:05 pm

What do you all do for long-distance flights?

They often bring food about 3 times throughout a flight, so I always feel like I am eating lunch-lunch-dinner- breakfast all in one 18hr sitting. Any suggestions? How do you skip the "dessert plate"? I think if you use the virtual plate, all the food that they provide in a plane could fit on one large plate....

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:52 pm

Hasn't come up since I've been on No-S, but I've followed the "jet lag" formula in the past.

If I recall correctly, in that, you set your watch to the time zone you're going to when you get on the plane, and eat when meals would fall on that zone. There may be variations of "eat lightly at this point" and "eat heavily at this point."

Or just don't worry about it, unless you do those kinds of trips more than 2x/month.