What do you all think about this?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

xJocelynx87

What do you all think about this?

Post by xJocelynx87 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:28 pm

Ok,

So I know the rules are no SWEETS, not no SUGAR, and that a sweet is loosely defined as something you would eat for dessert. My question is concerning certain borderline foods, namely things that have small amounts of chocolate in them. Granola/energy bars, trail mix, and cereal are some of my favorite foods, and I have been purposely avoiding any of these that contain chocolate because I do not want to break any rules. I have been doing extremely well, but sometimes miss my favorite granola with tiny chocolate pieces, or that granola bar that serves as part of a quick breakfast. While the other varieties are still yummy, the ones with small amounts of chocolate would definitely be my first choice.

I know one of the first questions many of you will probably wonder is if these small amounts of chocolate will send me spiraling into a binge or result in me fudging the rules in order to justify eating muffins and pastries for breakfast. The answer to that, I think, is no. I've got the habit down pretty good at this point, and think I might be able to pull it off, mainly because the chocolate I'm speaking of is most often incorporated with nutritionally dense food.

Thoughts?

Thanks guys, it's hump day! We're halfway to the weekend!

Jocelyn

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:47 pm

I think your best bet would be to try and see how you react. I did this with my favorite ice cream. But, it turns out, I can't have it in the house without eating the whole pint at once. So I don't buy it anymore. I say experiment!
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:33 pm

Personally, I don't think the chocolate in muffins is problematic. The muffins are the problem (in most cases)! Muffins are cupcakes masquerading as a breakfast food. I save them for S days.

Even my favorite granola, which is homemade and has less sugar than most store-bought versions, has more sugar than anything but oats in the recipe. The only reason I use it on N days is that I don't use much of it. I'll sprinkle a couple of tablespoons on fruit and yogurt.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:09 pm

The granola/energy bars and trailmix aren't sweets if eaten as/with a main meal so I don't see that as a problem in itself. I, personally, could never consider a muffin as anything but a sweet/snack no matter when it was consumed. It's certainly not a real meal in any sense of the word and I would have to call that day a failure if it wasn't an S day and I ate one, even if it was for a meal.

I do have reservations about the entire granola/energy bar and trailmix thing though. These are high energy foods aimed at people expending high energy, not for average day to day living. It's like how the guys on Tour de France consume those high energy bars and drinks. They NEED that level of energy for their exertions. Consuming these items outside of that kind of exertion is just asking for problems and not something I would call healthy.

It sounds like you are really thinking hard about this and take it seriously, which is a great mindset to have.

xJocelynx87

Post by xJocelynx87 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:07 am

I know alot about nutrition since it's what I go to school for, and these bars and trail mix are not everyday fare. I simply use them when I'm rushing around and need my meal to be quick. I have found a few brands that are healthy, don't contain too many calories or artificial ingredients, and actually taste very good. If you read my post closely, I WASN'T asking if muffins were permissible --- I know they aren't. I was using them to further my point about trail mix/energy bars spiraling into other things. Thanks for responding guys!

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:11 am

Specifically regarding the chocolate in the items; I don't think it will be a problem for you as you understand its potential for problems and are clearly in control with it. I don't think you have anything to worry about. :)

vmsurbat

In Defense of Muffins! :-)

Post by vmsurbat » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:14 am

My, muffins sure took a beating on this thread! :-)

I, personally, DON'T consider a good, reasonably-sized, homemade muffin an S-day food--we have them weekly for breakfast. (Living overseas, "cold cereal" is the treat; homemade muffins, pancakes, eggs, bread (not all at once!) are our N-day breakfasts) And honestly, they have been considered "normal breakfast foods" for decades. The problem is the modern, commercialized cupcake version sold as "muffins." A normal, homemade muffin can be quite nutritious and has the same amount of calories as a piece of toast with a smear of butter and jam.

But, back to the OP's original question: I wouldn't worry about the mere fact that there is some choc. in the healthy, quick breakfast bars you are eating. I *would* focus on whether a single bar is enough sustenance to the next meal. I've never had one, so I don't know its satiety value. If you find that a bar is not quite enough, I suggest that you start thinking of other (or additional) options for a quick, healthy breakfast. Maybe your bar and an apple. Or bar and glass of milk/piece of cheese. Or PB&J sandwich.

With NoS, there is much freedom in choosing WHAT goes on our plate; enjoy your bar!

HTH,
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:44 am

Bushranger wrote: I do have reservations about the entire granola/energy bar and trailmix thing though. These are high energy foods aimed at people expending high energy, not for average day to day living. It's like how the guys on Tour de France consume those high energy bars and drinks. They NEED that level of energy for their exertions. Consuming these items outside of that kind of exertion is just asking for problems and not something I would call healthy.
Very well put! I never quite thought of it that way, but you make it so obvious. Thanks for that! Now if I'm tempted by one of these 'high energy foods', I'll just think: 'have I been Lance Armstronging...?" :)
--- Stephen ---
My No S Diet Progress
"Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer."

xJocelynx87

Post by xJocelynx87 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:05 pm

I do combine the foods with other things. A glass of milk and fruit, or yogurt and fruit. I would never eat just a bar...that's not a meal! ;) I'm also very picky about which one I eat...I dissect the ingredient list and try to buy bars that have lots of natural ingredients like dried fruit and nuts and are certified organic. I actually do have other quick breakfasts, such as smoothies, so when I need something quick, an energy bar is not my default. Of course, I prefer to sit down and take my time with breakfast, but I'm in college...that's not always possible. :)