New to diet

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

maggie

New to diet

Post by maggie » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:46 pm

Hello everyone,

I just finished the book last night. I am excited but a little hesitant. I've always believed if something sounds too good to be true then it usually is.

I have tried many of the popular diets with little or no success. Main reason for this is that I can't or don't stick with the program. I have always thought that a diet that forbids an entire food group is unhealthy and unrealistic for a way of eating for life. I also tire pretty quickly of counting and measuring. Sooo, the No S plan is very appealing to me. It makes alot of sense, but I am still hesitant. I guess truthfully, I just don't want to get my hopes up.

I could use any encouragement or advice as I begin this new way of eating today. I really want this to be it, for me and my family. I have a 19 year old daughter who has struggled with her weight for most of her life, I am really, really hoping this is something that will work her.

So many things in the book resonated with me, it does give me hope.

Well I just wanted to introduce myself and get a little input for a beginner.

Thanks,
Maggie

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:00 pm

Welcome, maggie!

I thought it was too good to be true too, but I've been doing this for six months and it really does work!

maggie

Post by maggie » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:16 pm

Thalia wrote:Welcome, maggie!

I thought it was too good to be true too, but I've been doing this for six months and it really does work!
Thank you. I figure this will be a slow process, but I think that is going to be a good thing. Do you mind if I ask how much you have lost and what other benefits you have gained from this.

Thanks so much,
Maggie

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:27 pm

Not at all!

I have lost 17 pounds, and I expect a drop in the next couple of days because of monthly water retention at the moment. I would still like to lose around 30 more -- I'm not one of the people who is already close to an ideal weight! It has definitely not been fast, but I'm not getting as much exercise as I should so I suspect that is a big factor.

The benefits besides weight loss have been that I never feel stuffed full or uncomfortable. I always have an appetite for dinner (I used to snack in the afternoon, or eat such big lunches, that I was still full at dinnertime). Unlike any other diet I have ever tried, I eat foods I really enjoy and cook from my regular books -- I'm a bit of a foodie, and it's important to me not to eat fake diet foods or substitutes. I can eat socially in any restaurant or home in the world, and no one would ever know I was on a "diet." I'm not starving or obsessed with food or putting all my mental energy into counting and balancing points and trying to figure out how to save enough food allowance for dinner.

Basically, it doesn't make me crazy, and it doesn't make my life revolve around food and weight. But it is allowing me to undo all the damage done by decades of restrictive diets followed by unrestrained binging afterward, and that is priceless. Physically, I was already in good health, so I haven't seen the blood-pressure drops and so forth that some other No S'ers have.

I honesly can't think of a single drawback to No S -- except that it is slow. But I'm not sure that's a drawback; I think it might actually be a virtue.

maggie

Post by maggie » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:42 pm

Wow! Thanks so much for all the info. You are getting me really excited that this may be the solution.

Losing wieght slow can be difficult, but I have lost wieght fast and it ALWAYS comes back. I am sure a slow steady weight loss is the best way. I imagine as time goes on and we plateau we will have to make adjustments.

In addition to losing wieght I want to make healthier choices. At my age it is important to be heart healthy. Have you found that as you do the diet, you begin to make healthier choices?

It is so nice to meet you.

Maggie

tarantinofan

Post by tarantinofan » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:40 pm

maggie wrote:Wow! Thanks so much for all the info. You are getting me really excited that this may be the solution.

Losing wieght slow can be difficult, but I have lost wieght fast and it ALWAYS comes back. I am sure a slow steady weight loss is the best way. I imagine as time goes on and we plateau we will have to make adjustments.

In addition to losing wieght I want to make healthier choices. At my age it is important to be heart healthy. Have you found that as you do the diet, you begin to make healthier choices?

It is so nice to meet you.

Maggie
Welcome, Maggie! I am only 2.5 weeks in, but I've found that, in general, I crave pretty healthy foods. Because I'm not eating my sour granny smith apples and sweet bananas at snacktime, I end up eating them at meals. I also eat fatty foods in conjuction with the less caloric foods, but usually it's healthier fats like peanut butter and avocado.

Even though the No S diet really does sound too good to be true, I've lost about 5 pounds since I've started. That's quite significant considering my starting weight was 134.5 and my BMI was 22.4. Now, I weigh 129ish and my BMI is 21.5. I think because the diet targets excess, plain and simple, it works better and more sustainably than any other diet. Good luck!

maggie

Post by maggie » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:46 pm

Thanks Ari.

I am hoping that by following this plan I will eventually begin to make healthy choices for my meals. I can see how that would happen. I love fruit and yogurt as a snack, so I will eventually have to include these in my meals which will reduce some of the unhealthy choices I am making at mealtimes now.

The diet really is much common sense.

It's nice to meet you, I am glad to see this is an active board.

Maggie

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:02 pm

I make pretty healthy meals, but then I was making pretty healthy meals before, really. I like vegetables and whole grains and seafood and unprocessed things generally. It was all the OTHER stuff I was eating that was a problem!

maggie

Post by maggie » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:13 pm

Hi Thalia,

I am looking forward to eating healthier all around. I think this diet will do this without strict rules of how to do this. IOW, I think it will be a natural by-product of the diet.

Thanks for all your help today.

Maggie

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:53 pm

Welcome, Maggie!

Results with this may be slower than with other programs, but I think they're more long-lasting without much effort because the habits are ingrained by then. This is the way (depending on your age) your parents, grandparents and great-grandparents ate before overweight and obesity were issues in the U.S. and the rest of the world.

I think that many of us have also found that improving the quality of the food we eat also decreases the quantity. Real food is more satisfying than "edible food-like substances."
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

maggie

Post by maggie » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:26 pm

I think that many of us have also found that improving the quality of the food we eat also decreases the quantity. Real food is more satisfying than "edible food-like substances."
I think this is so true. I know in the past when I've done things like WW, I was never one that could "re-create" recipes the WW way. I would rather skip ranch dressing than to eat fat-free. I just don't like the taste.

After a day of reading and chatting on this board I am really seeing that it is all about moderation. Everything in moderation, including weight loss. This is the first program that I have ever seen that I really thought that I could do for the rest of my life.

Maggie

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:59 pm

Welcome! No S works from the inside out. I am healing my inner addiction first and foremost... and loosing weight too. I lost 20... quit and gained the 20 at Christmas... and I'm now down the 20 again with probably 50 or so to go before I am happy. I advise you to stick to it and be strict without adding any modifications until you've gone at least 21 days straight. I get motivated when I read on here... so join us frequently. Keep in touch!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:42 pm

maggie wrote:I would rather skip ranch dressing than to eat fat-free. I just don't like the taste.
I don't buy salad dressings anymore. I make them from scratch and they're full-fat. They taste so much better and I'm sure I use less of them.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:11 am

Welcome,

I have lost about 15 pounds or so in a couple months, reaching my goal weight.

The program seems too simple to work but it does.

I have had a pretty easy time, fell off the wagon a couple times and landed roughly :shock:

Today was a bad day, emotional eating due to some bad news - drinking my second glass of wine right now.

But, like my last relapse, I will start anew tomorrow.

The difference is, this time I KNOW that I shouldn't have eaten the way I did today, it wasn't rewarding, it wasn't satisfying, it didn't feel good.

And, that knowledge DOES feel good.

:wink:

Best wishes to you on your journey to better health. This is a wonderful board and I have made some great friends, hope to count you among them.

Berry

storm fox

not alone

Post by storm fox » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:24 am

Hey, I know what you mean. I struggle with diet and make myself miserable with one extreme or another, but it's not worth it! No S is the sanest, humanest diet you will ever be on. As has been brought up many times, this isn't the only diet that works, but it is probably the only diet that gets easier the longer you do it. You will also begin to notice how much and how often people eat, and for me, at least, telling people I didn't want to eat was almost alien. It feels good to have some order in your eating, though. I wish you consistency and moderation, and I hope you enjoy your S days!

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:47 am

Welcome Maggie! You will LOVE NoS, as I'm sure you suspect by now from everyone's comments. It's simple and it works. From someone who has been yo-yo dieting on and off pretty much since my teens, I have found this to be the ONLY eating solution that has removed my *diet head*. The angst is gone, along with the constant head chattering, debating, guilt, and beating up - they all have ceased. What could be better than that? They have been replaced by a peaceful demeanor and a calm relationship with food. This part of NoS is the most important to me - the weight loss is wonderful too, don't get me wrong, but clearing out the diet personality means more.
I am slowly, but surely, losing weight - about 5.5 pounds since April 30. I'm older, and not extreme with my eating. I've been eating *real* food - no low fat-no fat stuff, and I enjoy my S's on the weekends. I only weigh at the first of the month, so I won't know about my July success until the start of August. A year from now I expect to weigh about 30-couple pounds less. I don't care how long it takes - I'll let my body be the judge of that!
I wish you the same type of success with NoS as you've been reading about. Visit the boards often and we'll help you along with your journey. Good luck!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

maggie

Post by maggie » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:25 pm

~reneew wrote:Welcome! No S works from the inside out. I am healing my inner addiction first and foremost... and loosing weight too. I lost 20... quit and gained the 20 at Christmas... and I'm now down the 20 again with probably 50 or so to go before I am happy. I advise you to stick to it and be strict without adding any modifications until you've gone at least 21 days straight. I get motivated when I read on here... so join us frequently. Keep in touch!
Hi Reneew,

My husband and I read through your entire checking in thread the other day while driving in the car. You are awsome!

We found oursleves cheering you on and getting so excited with every success. Your sense of humor and just realness about all this is great!

I plan on joining in often. Thanks for your encouragement.

Maggie

maggie

Post by maggie » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:27 pm

wosnes wrote:
maggie wrote:I would rather skip ranch dressing than to eat fat-free. I just don't like the taste.
I don't buy salad dressings anymore. I make them from scratch and they're full-fat. They taste so much better and I'm sure I use less of them.
Yes homemade is sooo much better. I am with you on this. I just feel like if you are going to eat something, eat something you actually really like. I have never really paid attention, but I bet I do use less of the real stuff.

maggie

Post by maggie » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:30 pm

StrawberryRoan wrote:Welcome,

I have lost about 15 pounds or so in a couple months, reaching my goal weight.

The program seems too simple to work but it does.

I have had a pretty easy time, fell off the wagon a couple times and landed roughly :shock:

Today was a bad day, emotional eating due to some bad news - drinking my second glass of wine right now.

But, like my last relapse, I will start anew tomorrow.

The difference is, this time I KNOW that I shouldn't have eaten the way I did today, it wasn't rewarding, it wasn't satisfying, it didn't feel good.

And, that knowledge DOES feel good.

:wink:

Best wishes to you on your journey to better health. This is a wonderful board and I have made some great friends, hope to count you among them.

Berry
Thank you so much. The people on this board are so welcoming and friendly, I am very excited I found this diet and this board! I am on day 3 and it is amazing how quickly you start thinking about food differently.

Maggie

maggie

Re: not alone

Post by maggie » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:34 pm

storm fox wrote:Hey, I know what you mean. I struggle with diet and make myself miserable with one extreme or another, but it's not worth it! No S is the sanest, humanest diet you will ever be on. As has been brought up many times, this isn't the only diet that works, but it is probably the only diet that gets easier the longer you do it. You will also begin to notice how much and how often people eat, and for me, at least, telling people I didn't want to eat was almost alien. It feels good to have some order in your eating, though. I wish you consistency and moderation, and I hope you enjoy your S days!
I am becoming a believer in just a short time. Sanity, this is key. Every other diet I have tried was not something I could have ever continued for my entire life, this one I know I can. What I am not totally convinced of yet is will I lose wieght. But, with everyone's testimonies, I am seeing that it is possible.

Thanks so much for your encouragement!

Maggie

maggie

Post by maggie » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:40 pm

mimi wrote:Welcome Maggie! You will LOVE NoS, as I'm sure you suspect by now from everyone's comments. It's simple and it works. From someone who has been yo-yo dieting on and off pretty much since my teens, I have found this to be the ONLY eating solution that has removed my *diet head*. The angst is gone, along with the constant head chattering, debating, guilt, and beating up - they all have ceased. What could be better than that? They have been replaced by a peaceful demeanor and a calm relationship with food. This part of NoS is the most important to me - the weight loss is wonderful too, don't get me wrong, but clearing out the diet personality means more.
I am slowly, but surely, losing weight - about 5.5 pounds since April 30. I'm older, and not extreme with my eating. I've been eating *real* food - no low fat-no fat stuff, and I enjoy my S's on the weekends. I only weigh at the first of the month, so I won't know about my July success until the start of August. A year from now I expect to weigh about 30-couple pounds less. I don't care how long it takes - I'll let my body be the judge of that!
I wish you the same type of success with NoS as you've been reading about. Visit the boards often and we'll help you along with your journey. Good luck!

Mimi :D
Thank you Mimi. What a great attitude about this. Diet head, boy is that something I have and pretty much every woman I know has.

I am too at the point where it isn't about how fast it comes off as long as it does come off. Becoming a grandmother has given me great perspective! It isn't about getting into a bikini again, it is about getting healthy so I can enjoy my beautiful grandbaby, among other things as well.

I think this board is going to be such a positive in my life. I am very excited. I am hoping to get my youngest daughter involved, she's on the computer alot already, it may as well be something positive, right?

Thanks so much!

Maggie

enmilto

Hi Maggie

Post by enmilto » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:27 pm

I read the book too. I started this nos diet on June 18th, 2009. I've lost just 3 pounds so far. If I could not eat so much on the weekends, I think it would be a little more. So next weekend I'm going to be better and just have some snacks.

This diet is not really a diet. It's so normal. Three meals a day. I thought I would be hungry between meals, but that only lasted a few days or so. By Wednesdays you can almost see the weekend coming, when you can have sweets, seconds and snacks. It's easy to get this habit too. It took me about three weeks, but it works. I never have the big thoughts of snacks, sweets or seconds during the week.

Welcome to the plan.

Ellie

maggie

Post by maggie » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:12 am

Hi Ellie
Thank you for the welcome. Yes I agree this is not like any other diet I have ever been on. I saw quickly, the first day, how this can really work. When my husband and I work together we always have an afternoon candybar break. On Friday we skipped it and we were fine. We still ate like we would have the rest of the day, but we lessened our calorie intake by about 300-500 calories between the snacks and sodas. Those calories will eventually add up to a loss and pretty painlessly.

Have a great week and thanks again for the welcome.

Maggie

Therese Z

Post by Therese Z » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:33 pm

I am also new to this diet. Not new to dieting - I've spent my LIFE on a diet. I was surprised at how much food I put in my work bag this morning. I eat breakfast and lunch at work and even though I would bring stuff to work, I was lazy and greedy and left holes in the menu which I would inevitably fill in with fatty foods in too large a quantity.

This seems too simple, but is a chance to develop the virtue of temperance.

I look forward to reading the bulletin board.

maggie

Post by maggie » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:32 pm

Therese Z wrote:I am also new to this diet. Not new to dieting - I've spent my LIFE on a diet. I was surprised at how much food I put in my work bag this morning. I eat breakfast and lunch at work and even though I would bring stuff to work, I was lazy and greedy and left holes in the menu which I would inevitably fill in with fatty foods in too large a quantity.

This seems too simple, but is a chance to develop the virtue of temperance.

I look forward to reading the bulletin board.
Welcome to the board and the diet. I am only on day 4 so you and I can go through this together. I love it so far. Today started out a little rocky, I am working with my husband today and had to leave the house early, this means I skipped breakfast. Not good. I will have to start planning better, or getting up earlier or both.

Good Luck and let's talk often.

Maggie

Therese Z

Post by Therese Z » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:33 pm

"I will have to start planning better."

I have long had a sneaky feeling that my "inability" to plan for my own well-being, regarding food, was not a real inability. I am an amazingly organized person and my job depends on being organized, hitting deadlines and having everything dealt with in order and on time.

But pack a lunch five days in a row? Feh. I apparently think it's too hard.

Not just the virtue of temperance, the virtue of humility, too.

maggie

Post by maggie » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:05 pm

Therese Z wrote:"I will have to start planning better."

I have long had a sneaky feeling that my "inability" to plan for my own well-being, regarding food, was not a real inability. I am an amazingly organized person and my job depends on being organized, hitting deadlines and having everything dealt with in order and on time.

Not just the virtue of temperance, the virtue of humility, too.
Well, I am pretty unorganized. But, I do manage to get organized when it is something that I really want. It's like I always have told my children we always manage to do the things we really want to do.

I think we will all learn alot from this diet, not just about food but about ourselves.

Maggie

Mistress Manners

Post by Mistress Manners » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:28 pm

For what it's worth, I don't pack my lunch. And I eat breakfast at work. You don't need to be superhuman to do well on this diet.

maggie

Post by maggie » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:39 pm

Mistress Manners wrote:For what it's worth, I don't pack my lunch. And I eat breakfast at work. You don't need to be superhuman to do well on this diet.
Thank you that is very good to know.

Maggie

Mistress Manners

Post by Mistress Manners » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:08 pm

You're welcome! (And I didn't need to sound snotty, by the way. It's just that if success meant packing my lunch, I'd be done for). The great thing about No S is that even if you're going out, you can still limit yourself to a single plate. Plus, the plate looks silly if there is nothing healthy on it, so you end up eating better, too.

enmilto

Hi Mistress Manners

Post by enmilto » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:05 pm

I just read your post to Maggie. May I please make a suggestion? For lunch I mean. I'll tell you what I do. I go to the store - buy 5 or 6 low fat yogurts, bread, pnut butter and jam or oven roasted turkey, lettuce, miracle whip and sandwich bags and five pieces of fruit. One for each day. For days you don't go out to lunch, would you be able to put these things together? I hope that you don't mind my suggestions.

Ellie

maggie

Post by maggie » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:14 pm

Mistress Manners wrote:You're welcome! (And I didn't need to sound snotty, by the way. It's just that if success meant packing my lunch, I'd be done for). The great thing about No S is that even if you're going out, you can still limit yourself to a single plate. Plus, the plate looks silly if there is nothing healthy on it, so you end up eating better, too.
You didn't sound snotty at all. I know what you mean on the packing the lunch. But it's hard for me to eat breakfast at work, our car is our office. I think if I just get up a little earlier I can manage to get breakfast. I am regretting the no breakfast big time, my tummy is talking to me and dinner is another 2hours away.

Maggie

Mistress Manners

Post by Mistress Manners » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:02 pm

Oh, definitely. Breakfast is key. That's actually why I eat my oatmeal at work. If I eat breakfast at 9:30, I can easily make it to lunchtime without being too hungry.

Mistress Manners

Re: Hi Mistress Manners

Post by Mistress Manners » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:03 pm

enmilto wrote:I just read your post to Maggie. May I please make a suggestion? For lunch I mean. I'll tell you what I do. I go to the store - buy 5 or 6 low fat yogurts, bread, pnut butter and jam or oven roasted turkey, lettuce, miracle whip and sandwich bags and five pieces of fruit. One for each day. For days you don't go out to lunch, would you be able to put these things together? I hope that you don't mind my suggestions.

Ellie
Thanks! You're right. I think I like the excuse to get away from my desk. But now that you mention it, I could just go for a walk, huh?

winnie96

Post by winnie96 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:29 pm

Therese Z wrote:I have long had a sneaky feeling that my "inability" to plan for my own well-being, regarding food, was not a real inability. I am an amazingly organized person and my job depends on being organized, hitting deadlines and having everything dealt with in order and on time.
Wow! Did that post hit home for me! Success at my job also called for amazing levels of planning and organization, which I sailed through with aplomb every day. But same thing: pack a lunch? Way too difficult! Figure out in advance what supper is going to be and shop accordingly? What kind of super-human person could do that?

When I finally got it together and lost 60 pounds on WW, one of the key success factors for me was sitting down every week with a legal pad, mapping out each day's meals, and constructing a grocery list therefrom.

I got tired of counting points so have switched to No-S, but the meal planning technique works equally well with No-S. Plan the meals, shop for the food for those meals, and implement -- no fuss, no muss, no worries about having the right foods at hand.

But it took me literally years to figure out that I could apply the same planning techniques that I so successfully used at work to my life at home! Go figure ...

enmilto

Hi Mistress Manners

Post by enmilto » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:30 pm

Yep - any excuse for exercise works. Believe me I know. By the way I was born in NYC. Raised in Baltimore, MD. But I'm a Yankee fan for sure.

Ellie

enmilto

Hi Therese Z

Post by enmilto » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:36 pm

Wow - you lost 60 pounds on WW. That's amazing to me. I was doing that -counting points, just before I found the Nos diet. On WW I lost and gained the same two pounds over and over again. I like this much better. This is my 33rd day on the program. It really does get easier.

Ellie