Can you get anyone to join?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

oliviamanda

Can you get anyone to join?

Post by oliviamanda » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:19 pm

I am a total fan of No S. Others have seen it works for me. They ask what I am doing. I tell them. I get no response and they practically run the other way. How can something so simple sound so scary to so many? Well, who wants to give up their sweets and snacks and seconds?

I think it's so frustrating, but I guess it doesn't matter. I have only one friend that has bought the book and tried shovelglove first and then is doing No S successfully... here's your shout out PETER!
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:46 pm

I think the main problem is people are profoundly attracted to the idea that there's some shortcut to diet that doesn't involve taking responsibility for one's condition and changing behavior and habits.

This is unfortunate on two levels.

First, because that just ain't the case. And they're suckered by plans that promise the moon but don't deliver.

Secondly, and even more importantly, responsibility is a joy. It's what gives us human dignity. It's the freedom to make meaningful choices. To run away from that is to run away from the best thing we have.

No-s seems too simple. It's almost offensively simple. "If that's all I have to do, why on earth didn't I do it ages ago?" people might think, and rather than shrug their shoulders and say "might as well start now," they turn away to more flattering solutions that provide some some sneaky, nefarious "stab in the back" culprit instead.

That being said, I'm hopeful that this will change. I think as people start to see that no-s works for other people, as they hear about it from multiple angles, and as the pie in the sky promises of other diets continue to fall flat, they'll come round.

Reinhard

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:47 pm

I think it is partly that -- No S is EMBARRASSING, because if I can lose weight just by doing this, then how badlly was I eating before?

But also, if you want to lose very fast and get very, very thin (and a lot of women do), No S is not going to deliver that. I have to guess that you are not going to look like Lindsay Lohan or Courtney Cox and become a spray-tanned skeleton overnight by doing No S, unless you have a very unusual metabolism. I think for many women, especially, you aren't going to end up looking conspicuously "thin" -- just not overweight. And that's exactly what many other diets promise you, you'll be fashionably emaciated very rapidly without exercising, etc.
Last edited by Thalia on Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marleah

Post by marleah » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:18 pm

I've wondered this myself here and there, but I think it's just a matter of people needing to be ready to hear something. I have a background in psychology, and that's a big thing that we learned - a lot of people can't change unless they want to. Yes, it sounds hokey and people always say it, but it really is true for the most part.

But I think that yes, in general, people hear about it and don't want to take responsibility for it. Diets are something that people love to hate - so many people do Weight Watchers (or some other typical diet) and then spend time griping about it with each other, even though it's something they chose to do and they want the end result. It's something you are *supposed* to hate, just like exercise. I am so used to this myself that sometimes at the gym I find myself agreeing when someone is complaining about working out - even though I actually do enjoy it.

Just another example - and yes, I agree - it sounds too easy and people don't want to take responsibility.
- vegan grad student -
- 5'2" starting at 140-145 in March 2009 -
- S-Days Saturday and Sunday -

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:40 pm

My DIL has been struggling with weight issues for several years (after a serious back injury at work).

She has even mentioned wanting to explore the lapband procedure.

I showed her this website while she was visiting one day and explained it to her.

We haven't really mentiioned it again (this was weeks ago) yet when we were eating at a pizza buffet on Saturday, she said.

One plate will be more than enough.

I am doing NoS

Yeahl.... :D

I love her a lot and want her to have a long, healthy NoS'ing life.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:18 pm

I've reached a point in the last year where I've decided that there are better uses of my energy then trying to actively convert someone to a healthy diet/eating plan.

My mom is very obese and my siblings and I worry about her. She doesn't make good eating choices, she eats too much and she doesn't exercise at all. I spent hours and hours trying to help her by shopping with her, cooking with her and exercising with her, etc. It would work for a limited period of time and then she would go back to the same old habits and would refuse to join me for a walk or whatever. This cycle repeated countless times. Finally, I decided that she is a grown woman and is only going to change when she wants to change. She knows that she needs to make better food choices, eat moderately and exercise but she isn't willing to commit to it. It saddens me but beyond setting a good example there is not much that I can do for her. :(

Now, if someone asks me about what I've been doing or asks me for advice about a sane eating approach, I would be thrilled to pieces to tell them about No S. :D
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:09 pm

StrawberryRoan wrote: yet when we were eating at a pizza buffet on Saturday, she said.

One plate will be more than enough.

I am doing NoS
And it was even an S day! Good for her!

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:59 pm

No S needs a name change.

The S Day Diet! Today my 8 and 10 year old daughters and I were at the zoo. Treats all around! We didn't get back until 1:30, and they didn't have any treats. They are waiting for Sunday.

Having them on this diet is going to save me a ton of money!

Kathleen

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:06 pm

Everyone at work is one a diet, it seems, but when I mention No-S, they just smile and dismiss it. It's too simple to be a real diet, I guess.
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:17 am

Kathleen wrote:No S needs a name change.

The S Day Diet! Today my 8 and 10 year old daughters and I were at the zoo. Treats all around! We didn't get back until 1:30, and they didn't have any treats. They are waiting for Sunday.

Having them on this diet is going to save me a ton of money!

Kathleen
Wow that's great!!!
Good for them and you for being a role model Kathleen!!!
ps.. I like the original name tho, sorry, hahah :wink:
8) Debs x
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

tarantinofan

Post by tarantinofan » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:36 pm

Well, I tried to convert my parents to the diet without calling it a diet. I told them to only eat treats on the weekend, eat on one plate, and not to eat standing up. They are ALWAYS complaining about their weight, but they haven't followed a single thing I said. Argghhh. They are like little kids with their froyo's. They eat it everyday after dinner!

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:24 am

The 8 year old was caught sneaking marshmellows, so only the 10 year old and the 15 year old are on it now.

I'm taking them to the mall on Sunday for caramel apples from The Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory!

The 10 year old could care less about her weight. She's just willing to give up popcorn from the annual Penny Carnival on a Friday to get caramel apples on Sunday!

Kathleen