sweet tooth

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Brenna

sweet tooth

Post by Brenna » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:33 pm

I am having a very hard time restricting my sweet tooth. I was thinking, can someone start slow with that one? like for me, to go down to 1 sweet 1 a day, and then 1 every other day, so I don't break it?

any ideas?

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:40 pm

Personally, I'd try to satisfy it by including fruit in my meals. But someone else here did have a lot of success by starting slow and cutting down, so it might work for you!

Maybe one sweet, of a predetermined kind, included in dinner or lunch? And then phase it out?

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:53 pm

I jumped into this diet when my kids were in school and I was not yet working, and I about died. I told my husband he might as well consider me on a vacation.

My first four days were failures. It was dreadful.

I think that it can be really hard to follow this diet initially, and at least for some getting in slowly may be better. My recommendation would be to have no sweets on one day and then graduallly increase to no sweets except on S Days.

It's worth it. It's worth getting to the point where the purpose of a trip to the zoo is not to get a soft pretzel.

Kathleen

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:11 pm

I've always included a sweet sometime after dinner. It's something small -- like a couple of homemade cookies. But that's my plan and I'm stickin' to it!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

vmelo

Post by vmelo » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:01 am

I have a giant sweet tooth. It is my main downfall and, I think, the main contributor to my weight gain (that, and just eating too much, too often). In past years, I've vacillated between trying to cut them out entirely to trying to have just small sweet every night. Much to my disappointment, I find that when I do the latter, I end up giving in to temptation more often than not and eating more than just the 1 cookie or 1 slice of pie that I planned. I do better if I cut out sweets for the most part and just have them occasionally. It takes me about a week to wean myself off of sweets so that I don't crave them after dinner. Those first few no-sweet days are a real killer for me. I could almost chew my arm off if it had honey on it :)! However after those few days, my sweet tooth becomes more manageable.

If your craving for sweets is like mine, I'd go "cold turkey" until S days.

tarantinofan

Post by tarantinofan » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:51 pm

I honestly think u should do whatever u can manage at this point. You've just started the diet and sugar is addicting stuff (unfortunately, I know this from experience). I'm proud to say this is my first week without breaking down and getting a sweet. And, this is my fourth week! I have yet to have a perfectly compliant week, though!

So, try weaning urself off. If you really think you need a sweet everyday to begin with, so be it. I would recommend just holding out until that gnawing hunger that doesn't come from the belly yells at you until u get a sweet. Believe me, this will go away in time. Keep marking ur habitcal with failures on the days with sweets though. Don't plan to have sweets. Don't accept eating sweets on N Days as successes. Accept these days as failures, mark your habitcal, and move on. Hope, pray, and fight so that your next day will be more compliant. Perhaps perfectly compliant! A lot of red days in a row can't help ur self-esteem, and u'll be on the No S bandwagon in no time :) Good luck!!

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:09 am

If chocolate is something you crave, you could try raw cocao nibs mixed with nuts and raisins, a kind of No S chocolate :)

My hubby has a much sweeter tooth than me and satisfies it with raw cocao mix daily, or he sometimes has some almonds dipped in honey (honey is one of those No S gray areas, some people treat it as an S, others don't, I personally don't). He usually has a little of these things as a "dessert" after dinner.

Hope that helps :)

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:42 pm

Thanks for starting this thread. The No Sweets rule has been my nemisis and downfall. I've been trying to figure out how to overcome my daily sweet habit.

This week I'm going to try the taper method. I'll allow 1 sweet on my dinner plate. Compared to what I usually ingest, this is big progress!

I'll see what happens....
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

Bushranger

Re: sweet tooth

Post by Bushranger » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:11 am

Brenna wrote:I am having a very hard time restricting my sweet tooth. I was thinking, can someone start slow with that one? like for me, to go down to 1 sweet 1 a day, and then 1 every other day, so I don't break it?
In short, yes it could work very well. I weened myself off a medication in a similar way since abruptly stopping was very dangerous.

It went something like this:

First week: 2 days on, 1 day off.
Second week: 1 on, 1 off.
Third week: half tablet 2 on, 1 off.
Forth week: half tablet 1 on, 1 off
Fifth week: half tablet 1 on, 2 off.
Sixth week: half tablet 1 on, 3 off.
Seventh week: completely off them.