The evenings are so hard for me

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jumbotights

The evenings are so hard for me

Post by jumbotights » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:56 pm

I know this is the way to live. Everything about No S feels so right to me. I will not give up, but I have such a difficult time in the evenings. Breakfast, lunch, no problemo. After dinner, I get the 'eaties'. It's not true physical hunger, it's emotional, i just have the urge to snack right up till bedtime. It even makes me mad that I cannot snack if I want to be normal. It is that inner brat that wants what she wants. I am going to do it though, I will begin racking up success days soon, hopefully starting today, thanks for listening.

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:18 am

Hey jumbotights - don't despair! That was me too a while ago - actually April 30 when I began. I had the *eaties* every night and they were VERY bad! That was the hardest part of NoS for me too! I just thought I couldn't make it until bedtime without eating. But I'm here to tell you that I did make it and now I very rarely think about eating in the evening, unless I am truly hungry - stomach growling hungry. Then I drink a big glass of milk and go to bed. It works.
You need to get through one night and I promise you the next night will be a little easier. Get through that one, and the next one will be even easier. Try to avoid the things that you associate with nighttime eating - whether it be TV watching or whatever, if possible. Or if you do, keep your hands busy.
My husband controls the TV remote most evenings, so I usually take that opportunity to sit with my laptop and catch up with the NoS boards. That really helped me from snacking when I first started.
Just don't give up - you can beat the eaties, I promise! Good luck to you. Let us know how you're doing!

Mimi
:D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

flightisleavin

Post by flightisleavin » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:31 am

Jumbotights - I understand how you feel. I get hungry occasionally at night also much more so than during the day.

I have no wisdom or insight to offer other than I knew for me it was a habit that I ate at night and breaking that life long habit forces me to struggle a bit. One thing I have found that is helpful is I ask myself "am I truly hungry (going without necessary food/nutrition) or is this just a habit to eat at this time?" The answer it is usually a habit unless I have eaten way too light during the day especially dinner. I realize I won't wither away if I don't eat, I will just be a little uncomfortable because I cannot indulge the habit.

Hopefully as you stay on the No S it will get easier at night.
Starting date: June 22, 2009. Starting wgt: 220. Goal 120. Current weight: 198. Mindset: Celebrating moderation.

jumbotights

Post by jumbotights » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:40 am

Thanks guys I knew you would understand. It most certainly is habit and not hunger. In some ways it's like an addict, who doesn't want to go into rehab because they miss their drug, even though it is the drug that is doing them in. The dialogue in the head of "ok i will start tomorrow" because today, i need my 'stuff'. Boy oh boy! thanks for the kind words, i am planning on this day being my first true 'green' day, even if it means i have to go to bed to keep my face out of the kitchen!

harmony

Post by harmony » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:44 am

I'm having the most trouble at night, too. I make sure to plan my dinners as late as I can, which is 7:00 for me, and I promise myself a glass of milk if I still get hungry. Since I stay up pretty late, there are quite a few hours left to my day even with a 7:00 dinner. Good luck figuring out works for you.

flightisleavin

Post by flightisleavin » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:54 am

Some days are harder than others also. I can never figure out if is because what I have eaten during the day or just the day itself. There have been a few times when I have sliced up a piece a fruit and had a couple of slices along with a small peice of cheese and it has helped. But still it was a "snack" so I am not sure if that is truly following the No S plan.

I do think the No S is about normal eating and not feeling failure when you can't stay on the program because in essence it is not a rigid diet plan. Now that I don't eat at night anymore except for occasionally I can see where that was just something I did everyday without really thinking about it. It did get easier after about 3 weeks.
Starting date: June 22, 2009. Starting wgt: 220. Goal 120. Current weight: 198. Mindset: Celebrating moderation.

jumbotights

Post by jumbotights » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:58 am

Flightisleavin, i like the line in your sig, 'celebrating moderation', Boy do I ever understand that. I want to be able to do the same.

winnie96

Post by winnie96 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:33 am

mimi wrote:My husband controls the TV remote most evenings, so I usually take that opportunity to sit with my laptop and catch up with the NoS boards. That really helped me from snacking when I first started.
I think is a great suggestion from Mimi ... Spending time reading these boards, either current posts or historical, is difficult if you're also trying to eat a bowl of ice cream or whatever ... seriously, I highly recommend scheduling your No-S board surfing during the time when you are most likely to lapse, i.e don't read the boards in the morning if you're apt to get crazed in the evening. These boards are so positive, uplifting, and helpful ... I think Mimi is spot on with the idea that you should be browsing at the most difficult time of the day for you.

vmelo

Post by vmelo » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:07 am

Although sweets are my biggest problem, night-time eating was a big problem for me, too. Now, I'll admit that I've been a dismal failure with No-S--in fact, I have yet to complete a green week. However, I do not eat at night anymore, so that is one habit that has stuck. What really helped me was having a nighttime ritual that felt like a treat. I love espresso, so after dinner I have an espresso with one teaspoon of Sambuca liquor to sweeten it. That really helps me "cap off" my dinner and not feel deprived that I'm not having something to eat at night.

Perhaps you could find some sort of drink or some sort of ritual that you could substitute for food at night.

jumbotights

Post by jumbotights » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:14 am

vmelo wrote:Perhaps you could find some sort of drink or some sort of ritual that you could substitute for food at night.
vmelo that sounds like a good idea. I will find something to 'finish' the evening eating. Something to drink. I was wondering, if nighttime eating is under control for you now, what area are you having the most difficulty with? the fact that you have 'any' green days at all is significantly better than I have been doing lately. Thanks for the reply.

vmelo

Post by vmelo » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:07 pm

jumbotights wrote:I was wondering, if nighttime eating is under control for you now, what area are you having the most difficulty with? the fact that you have 'any' green days at all is significantly better than I have been doing lately. Thanks for the reply.
My knee-jerk response is "SWEETS!!" Love 'em! However, if I examine it more closely, I think the main reasons I can't stick to No-S are: 1) I get impatient and lose trust in the program. Almost automatically, I start adding up the calories in my meals and realizing that I'm consuming too many calories to lose weight, or that I'll lose only a .lb a month. I get discouraged and give up. 2) My general resentment of any diet plan the reduces the spontaneity of my eating. That's the "inner brat" that people on here have referred to before. Summer, especially, is full of spontaneous eating. My husband might ask, "Do you want to take a ride and get an ice-cream cone?" mid-week. I get resentful that I can't.

All of the above is absolutely no reflection on the plan; it's all me. And my #2 (above) would be much worse with another plan. The only reason I've stuck with other plans longer in the past is that at least I'm getting motivation from losing weight, my clothes fitting better, etc. In many ways, No-S takes a lot more patience and trust---apparently, a lot more than I have.

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:20 pm

I agree with the "ritual" thing.

I make dinner, eat, clean up everything - turn off the kitchen light and turn on the lights under the built in microwave (sorta a night light as we have an open greatroom concept). That's the signal, the diner's closed :D

I then run a bubble bath with the entire works, candles, sometimes wine (not so much anymore) - a good book. Relax a bit, put on my nightly skin care stuff - then come back in and watch tv for a while, then take a glass of icewater with lime or lemon chunks with me and go to bed and listen to talk radio on a timer until I fall asleep.

Last night we had ice cream but even my husband said, Hey - you're eating dessert because it is a Sunday.

I said, you got it!

:wink:

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:26 pm

jumbotights, to answer your other question,

The hardest habit I have had to break is early morning eating. I always get up at five even tho I am now retired (from years of owning a daycare center). I LOVE the early morning solitude. We have a farm and I can see all the baby deer and turkeys etc.... out scouting their breakfast.

I used to grab a bag of animal crackers or vanilla wafers, pour me some hot coffee, turn on the computer and just nibble away.

Mind you, this was HOURS before breakfast.

That habit was the hardest to break, I now don't eat anything before about ten. I have found that once I start eating, I don't stop - so I don't start until the day has progressed a bit. Then I eat a filling breakfast of yogurt with fresh fruit in a bowl, add crumbled up FiberOne bar (or something similar) and sprinkle on flax seed.

That easily holds me until about two when I eat lunch.

Then we eat dinner at seven on so.

Working out great (so far).

:wink:

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:42 pm

Keep busy during that time. When I started no S I decided that I still wanted some down time on the couch, but I needed to keep my hands busy. I started to crochet my first afghan. I put about a foot on it and now I don't even feel the need. It got easier and my afghan will probably remain that big. :wink:
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:47 pm

StrawberryRoan wrote:I used to grab...pour me some hot coffee, turn on the computer and just nibble away.
A Habit which I have established,
is not to eat anything at all ever while I am at the computer.
Drinking un-sweetened (or artificially sweetened) beverages is okay.
Early mornings (about 4:30 a.m.) I sip a cup of hot tea,
afternoons and evenings I sip iced tea or diet coke or water.

In fact I have established a Habit even further than this,
because, in addition, I now prefer to totally focus on my food while I'm eating.
This works well re no eating while watching TV or reading,
but in fact, .... I must admit that now,
I don't even like having people talk or visit with me while I'm eating,
because I want to focus on tasting my food.

Really, because of my age and small size,
it takes very little food to maintain my weight,
and I want to enjoy every bit I get.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:45 pm

BrightAngel wrote:
StrawberryRoan wrote:I used to grab...pour me some hot coffee, turn on the computer and just nibble away.
A Habit which I have established,
is not to eat anything at all ever while I am at the computer.
Drinking un-sweetened (or artificially sweetened) beverages is okay.
Early mornings (about 4:30 a.m.) I sip a cup of hot tea,
afternoons and evenings I sip iced tea or diet coke or water.

In fact I have established a Habit even further than this,
because, in addition, I now prefer to totally focus on my food while I'm eating.
This works well re no eating while watching TV or reading,
but in fact, .... I must admit that now,
I don't even like having people talk or visit with me while I'm eating,
because I want to focus on tasting my food.

Really, because of my age and small size,
it takes very little food to maintain my weight,
and I want to enjoy every bit I get.
That reminds me of something I posted a LONG time ago. No unconscious eating. STOP and SAVOR the food when you eat. Sit down and pay attention to what you're eating. Be mindful of what you're doing.

I think part of the reason we eat so much is that we do it while we're doing other things and don't enjoy the food, don't savor the act of eating. We get done and can't remember what it tasted like, so we more. And then more.

There are only a few exceptions to that -- like eating a really juicy peach over the sink!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Mounted Ranger!

Post by Mounted Ranger! » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:27 pm

As others have suggested, I recommend a cup of hot milk. I really needed it at first but now less and less. In fact, now I find that unless I just have a salad or other lighter-than-usual meal, I'm fine without. Try the milk!
Mounted Ranger!
No S-ing, Ranging, and Shovelgloving since 7/7/09

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:15 pm

~reneew wrote:Keep busy during that time. When I started no S I decided that I still wanted some down time on the couch, but I needed to keep my hands busy. I started to crochet my first afghan. I put about a foot on it and now I don't even feel the need. It got easier and my afghan will probably remain that big. :wink:

Hey guys, reneew has a crocheted table runner for sale. 8)

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:18 am

Ha! Yes, I do! It's an unbleached natural tan cotton yarn with a medium loop personally handcrafated in antique/country straight rows with a flair of downhome style. Willing to trade for an emerald ring made with white gold. Big emerald! :wink: If interested, please contact ~reneew@NOSdiet.com :wink:
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me