Out of the Kitchen, Onto the Couch

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

Out of the Kitchen, Onto the Couch

Post by wosnes » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:35 am

It's not what you're probably thinking...it's a new article from Michael Pollan in the Dining section of the New York Times. Warning! It's long:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/02/magaz ... ref=dining

I particularly like the last two paragraphs:
Michael Pollan wrote: Crusty as a fresh baguette, Harry Balzer insists on dealing with the world, and human nature, as it really is, or at least as he finds it in the survey data he has spent the past three decades poring over. But for a brief moment, I was able to engage him in the project of imagining a slightly different reality. This took a little doing. Many of his clients — which include many of the big chain restaurants and food manufacturers — profit handsomely from the decline and fall of cooking in America; indeed, their marketing has contributed to it. Yet Balzer himself made it clear that he recognizes all that the decline of everyday cooking has cost us. So I asked him how, in an ideal world, Americans might begin to undo the damage that the modern diet of industrially prepared food has done to our health.

“Easy. You want Americans to eat less? I have the diet for you. It’s short, and it’s simple. Here’s my diet plan: Cook it yourself. That’s it. Eat anything you want — just as long as you’re willing to cook it yourselfâ€
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

masher

Post by masher » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:51 am

Huge thank you for this very interesting article!

I am now even more motivated to plan the meals I intend to cook over the next week.

Masher

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:28 am

masher wrote:Huge thank you for this very interesting article!

I am now even more motivated to plan the meals I intend to cook over the next week.

Masher
You might be interested in this:
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/2 ... #more-7473

I did this and spent less on groceries than I have on any other weekly menu plan. In addition, I came up with quite a few more meals using these ingredients or just by changing the vegetables.

You might also be interested in this:
http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/heal ... index.html
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:47 am

I haven't read it yet, as I'm at work and it's really long (as all their magazine articles tend to be!) but I love the photo of the dusty kitchen stuff... Personally, I love cooking. Plus, it makes me feel so proud of myself that I cook. I feel good about myself when my husband says how much he likes my cooking. My lunches are also all homemade now; I used to eat Lean Cuisines - yuck. I feel that cooking is as easy as knowing how to read. If you can read, you can cook. I love the movie Ratatouille because Gusteau says "Anyone can cook". This partially inspired me to try. That movie really awakened a love of cooking in me.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:31 pm

I love this:
[Cooking] was a gratifying, even ennobling sort of work, engaging both the mind and the muscles. You didn’t do it to please a husband or impress guests; you did it to please yourself. No one cooking on television today gives the impression that they enjoy the actual work quite as much as Julia Child did. In this, she strikes me as a more liberated figure than many of the women who have followed her on television.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:09 pm

Another one I like...this is from a talk Mark Bittman gave at a booksigning for Food Matters:

"If you buy your own food and cook your own food, you tend to put much better things in your mouth than if you don't. If you did nothing other than that, you'd be in pretty good shape. Back to the kitchen...hear, hear for that."

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:18 pm

Nice quote.

I just think there is something very satisfying and fulfilling about making your own food. I think it's the artist in me that loves creating.

In the beginning of the first article, Pollan put down short cuts. He probably wouldn't like that my homemade blue cheese dressing is made of lite mayo, lite yogurt, vinegar and blue cheese BUT it's much healthier than the pre-made and it tastes better too. Frozen pizza is one thing, but having some sort cuts in recipes is another. What do you think?

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:51 pm

I think everyone uses some short cuts -- we're none of us milling our own flour! Of course, there's a point where you're smooshing together Cool Whip, Jell-O Instant Pudding, a Duncan Hines cake mix, and a can of Diet Coke and calling it "a homemade dessert," but there's a wide spectrum of what I would still call home cooking.

To the point about Food Network vs. Julia Child -- remember when the Food Network used to have COOKING SHOWS? Now it's all celebrity chefs, and competition shows between restaurant cooks. It just reinforces the idea that cooking is something professionals do for you -- not something that you can do in your own kitchen, and that you might even enjoy. Ironically, I think the "celebrity chef" phenomenon has actually been terrible for American home cooking.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:56 pm

I don't like any of those shows. The only show I actually learn something from is Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares, where he takes a failing restaurant and tries to improve on what they are doing. Sometimes he shares some tips and tricks that are really useful.

I saw an episode of Rachel Ray where she made "lasagna" by taking raviolies, adding sauce and some cheese, and baking it. ?!?!?! What?!? When I first saw it, I thought it was genius, but now that I know how to cook, I think it's kinda dumb.

I would really love a real show that shows you how to cook. Are there any?

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:00 pm

You can get Julia Child's "The French Chef" on DVD! I got the first disc in the series from Netflix because I had just read "My Life in France," and although I was just watching to see Julia it actually improved my knife technique. She gives a little tutorial on knifework in the French onion soup episode.

PBS used to have some great ones -- Lidia Bastianich, Jacques Pepin's "Cooking with Claudine" show with his daughter, and Joanne Weir were all favorites of mine. Now they've been bumped altogether or moved to weird hours, to make room for infomercials for Suze Orman and the like. It's very depressing.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:12 pm

Thalia wrote:You can get Julia Child's "The French Chef" on DVD! I got the first disc in the series from Netflix because I had just read "My Life in France," and although I was just watching to see Julia it actually improved my knife technique. She gives a little tutorial on knifework in the French onion soup episode.

PBS used to have some great ones -- Lidia Bastianich, Jacques Pepin's "Cooking with Claudine" show with his daughter, and Joanne Weir were all favorites of mine. Now they've been bumped altogether or moved to weird hours, to make room for infomercials for Suze Orman and the like. It's very depressing.
My PBS station keeps moving things around at random it seems. I'll watch a show at a certain time every week for a month or so -- then the next week something like Lawrence Welk is there instead of my desired show. A week or two later, the regular show will be back. Annoys me no end. I do like Lidia Bastianich.

Speaking of Julia Child here on No-S: "Moderation. Small helpings. Sample a little bit of everything. These are the secrets of happiness and good health."—Julia Child

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:28 pm

My favorite thing about Lidia is that her kitchen is so messy, and her pots and pans are so beat up. You just know she cares more about what the food tastes like than she does about interior decorating!

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:01 pm

I think I'm part of the dump and stir club. I don't like cooking much. But, I don't like take out either. When you factor in ordering, driving and waiting, more often than not it's quicker to make something at home. And after reading The End of Overeating, I like to have a little more control over the ingredients I use, even if I'm not preparing everyone of them from scratch.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:10 pm

Great stuff.

I cooked plenty even before I got thin, I probably would have been in even worse shape if I hadn't.

He cites the same David Culter article I'm always citing about the increase in calories from snacks since the mid 1970s:
Consider some recent research on the links between cooking and dietary health. A 2003 study by a group of Harvard economists led by David Cutler found that the rise of food preparation outside the home could explain most of the increase in obesity in America. Mass production has driven down the cost of many foods, not only in terms of price but also in the amount of time required to obtain them. The French fry did not become the most popular “vegetable†in America until industry relieved us of the considerable effort needed to prepare French fries ourselves. Similarly, the mass production of cream-filled cakes, fried chicken wings and taquitos, exotically flavored chips or cheesy puffs of refined flour, has transformed all these hard-to-make-at-home foods into the sort of everyday fare you can pick up at the gas station on a whim and for less than a dollar. The fact that we no longer have to plan or even wait to enjoy these items, as we would if we were making them ourselves, makes us that much more likely to indulge impulsively.

Cutler and his colleagues demonstrate that as the “time cost†of food preparation has fallen, calorie consumption has gone up, particularly consumption of the sort of snack and convenience foods that are typically cooked outside the home.

TunaFishKid

Post by TunaFishKid » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:03 pm

Thalia wrote:I think everyone uses some short cuts -- we're none of us milling our own flour! Of course, there's a point where you're smooshing together Cool Whip, Jell-O Instant Pudding, a Duncan Hines cake mix, and a can of Diet Coke and calling it "a homemade dessert," but there's a wide spectrum of what I would still call home cooking.

To the point about Food Network vs. Julia Child -- remember when the Food Network used to have COOKING SHOWS?
The Food Network is terrible! Paula Dean and the Neelys are the same..they make food from boxes and cans! I was shocked the first time I saw this. I used to watch Julia Child after school when I was about 12 or 13. I remember her making puff pastry. She rolled out the dough, dotted it with butter, folded it and rolled it out again, dotted it with butter, folded it, rolled it out again, etc., etc. It took forever. None of this "open a box of cake mix" nonsense. (Okay, I know you don't make puff pastry with cake mix, but you get the point...I hope.)

And has anyone seen the commercial on tv where a mother decides that, instead of getting take out from the drive-through window, she will make a home-cooked meal? And the home-cooked meal is HAMBURGER HELPER!!! Omg. No wonder everybody is fat and sick these days.
~ Laura ~

flightisleavin

Post by flightisleavin » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:18 pm

Michael Pollan's advice resonated with me even though I don't consider him a guru or have all the answers BUT it does make sense that outsourcing your cooking to large corporations that use 25 strange sounding ingredients to make something you would use only 4 or 5 to make at home has been a bad idea.

Since I have started NO S I have been cooking almost every meal and judging by weight loss I think it is working. However, I am trying not to obsess about having everything fresh and made from scratch but I figure if do 80 to 90% the rest will take care of itself. And that cooking has included white flour, pasta dishes, rice, French bread, potatoes both sweet and white, sugar, whole milk, whole sour cream, butter, etc. Ingredients that diets to today don't want to you have and insist will make you fat.

Now that my weight loss is beginning to show people have asked me what I eat and I tell them and the response has been overwhelmingly "I could never lose eating that way." I say I cook most of it and it's pretty simple, the portions are small, I don't have seconds and I don't snack and sweets are only on special days. Then they say "if my favorite food is there I want to eat all of it" and "I need snacks to keep my energy up", "I need to grab something quick because of my work schedule, etc., etc. So the No S diet is written off because they knows what works for them.

The oddest thing of all to me is the people who insist carbs are bad tend to eat the most refined carbs all the time because they fell off the wagon and were pressed for time. The low fat people could not resist that high fat dessert but they know that dessert is why that can't lose weight. One dessert?

But those of us who had success with No S understand that simplicity is sometimes the hardest concept to grasp. I am hoping that with continued success I would inspire them to consider No S as an alternative so I don't insist they try it. I do tell them that is what I am doing. I understand it is hard if you fear carbs and have bought into the idea that carbs or fat grams are the cause of weight gain.

It bothers me today that Michael Pollan's article today was alongside an article disparaging traditional ways of eating and that overweight is simply genetics.
Starting date: June 22, 2009. Starting wgt: 220. Goal 120. Current weight: 198. Mindset: Celebrating moderation.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:54 pm

TunaFishKid wrote:
Thalia wrote:I think everyone uses some short cuts -- we're none of us milling our own flour! Of course, there's a point where you're smooshing together Cool Whip, Jell-O Instant Pudding, a Duncan Hines cake mix, and a can of Diet Coke and calling it "a homemade dessert," but there's a wide spectrum of what I would still call home cooking.

To the point about Food Network vs. Julia Child -- remember when the Food Network used to have COOKING SHOWS?
The Food Network is terrible! Paula Dean and the Neelys are the same..they make food from boxes and cans! I was shocked the first time I saw this. I used to watch Julia Child after school when I was about 12 or 13. I remember her making puff pastry. She rolled out the dough, dotted it with butter, folded it and rolled it out again, dotted it with butter, folded it, rolled it out again, etc., etc. It took forever. None of this "open a box of cake mix" nonsense. (Okay, I know you don't make puff pastry with cake mix, but you get the point...I hope.)

And has anyone seen the commercial on tv where a mother decides that, instead of getting take out from the drive-through window, she will make a home-cooked meal? And the home-cooked meal is HAMBURGER HELPER!!! Omg. No wonder everybody is fat and sick these days.
Yes, and the woman in the commercial is overweight, funny. I remember when I was a little girl I thought homemade meant out of the box, hehehe. Literally made-at-home. I now know better of course. In fact I'm making choc chip cookies from scratch after dinner, which is homemade pizza.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:15 pm

To the point about Food Network vs. Julia Child -- remember when the Food Network used to have COOKING SHOWS? Now it's all celebrity chefs, and competition shows between restaurant cooks. It just reinforces the idea that cooking is something professionals do for you -- not something that you can do in your own kitchen, and that you might even enjoy. Ironically, I think the "celebrity chef" phenomenon has actually been terrible for American home cooking.
If you're smooshing together Cool Whip, Jell-O instant pudding and a Duncan Hines cake mix, not only are you NOT cooking -- you're making an edible food-like substance. The heck of it is, it would probably take about 5-10 minutes longer to make something similar from real ingredients.

Some of the comments to this are pretty interesting:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/3 ... ood-shows/

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:41 pm

not only are you NOT cooking -- you're making an edible food-like substance.
I'm not actually positive about hte "edible" part.

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:57 pm

I think the biggest bonus to cooking your own is that you know exactly what is going into the mix. It seems to be the only way to avoid most preservatives, flavours, emulsifiers and additives too. I'm disgusted by how many "healthy" products have all these things in them still. My wife's homemade biscuits don't need flavour xyz and soya lethicin, etc, and they still taste a million times better then store bought.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:26 am

Comment 6 is meeee.

And I read most of the comments throughout the day. Very interesting. It is such a touchy subject with Times readers.

winnie96

Post by winnie96 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:52 pm

Great article -- well worth the time to read -- and I love comment #3 about "food pornography"!

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:23 pm

wosnes wrote: If you're smooshing together Cool Whip, Jell-O instant pudding and a Duncan Hines cake mix, not only are you NOT cooking -- you're making an edible food-like substance. The heck of it is, it would probably take about 5-10 minutes longer to make something similar from real ingredients.
I always get a kick out of the concept of Instant Pudding; making real pudding is as fast as making instant, for pete's sake!.

EDIT

Wow, great article, and I have read only half of it, so far.
I'm printing it not only to read it in bed tonight, but to keep it, since so far I passionately agree with everything he has postulated.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:50 pm

Mavilu wrote:
wosnes wrote: If you're smooshing together Cool Whip, Jell-O instant pudding and a Duncan Hines cake mix, not only are you NOT cooking -- you're making an edible food-like substance. The heck of it is, it would probably take about 5-10 minutes longer to make something similar from real ingredients.
I always get a kick out of the concept of Instant Pudding; making real pudding is as fast as making instant, for pete's sake!.

EDIT

Wow, great article, and I have read only half of it, so far.
I'm printing it not only to read it in bed tonight, but to keep it, since so far I passionately agree with everything he has postulated.
Bittman had a blog entry recently about convenience food recently and said that in most cases, making the "real thing" takes 5-10 minutes longer than making the "convenient" version of it. There are a few exceptions to that, but not many!

I like everything Pollan has written.
http://www.michaelpollan.com/write.php

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:37 am

Here's an interview with Michael Pollan about this article on NPR:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=13

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:01 pm

I always enjoy reading Michael Pollen and this article was no exception, but he did leave out what to me was the most salient point of David Cutler's research: the fact that the vast majority of these convenience food calories are being delivered in the form of snacks (90% for men, over 100% for women -- calories from meals have actually gone down).

I love to cook and think it's a great idea on many levels, but if you want an easy high level "obesogenic" behavior to target, that doesn't require any special skill or passion to put into practice (though I do think these are well worth acquiring), "no snacking" is a no brainer.

Here's the full Cutler article, for those who are interested:

http://home.uchicago.edu/~jmshapir/obesity.pdf

Reinhard

Cassie

Post by Cassie » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:44 pm

Wonderful article. And Michael Pollan is right (as he usually is).

I also grew up in a household were cooking was unimportant. Something was whipped up at the last minute. Little imagination was used (so we had the same things over & over). When I was about 20, I developed an interest in cooking (even attended a few cooking classes at different times in my life, this went on in my 20s & is still going on now). 16 years down the line, I'm now a passionate, everyday home-cook. I think it makes all the difference for healthy eating. At this point in my life I cannot even imagine what things would be like if I didn't cook every evening. It's just such an important part of my life.

(And actually, cooking wonderful desserts & cookies- which I don't eat myself- is something that bizarrely helps my dieting! I take so much pleasure from creating the perfect cheesecake & baking a lovely batch of chocolate cookies, that it almost feels as if I've tasted them by osmosis!!)
Restarting NoS (after going back & forth over the last 4 years) in November 2013.

GOAL: to lose 10 kilos.
HAVE ACHIEVED SO FAR: 1.6 kilo

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:58 pm

Cassie wrote: (And actually, cooking wonderful desserts & cookies- which I don't eat myself- is something that bizarrely helps my dieting! I take so much pleasure from creating the perfect cheesecake & baking a lovely batch of chocolate cookies, that it almost feels as if I've tasted them by osmosis!!)
I eat 'em. There's no way I'm making something and NOT eating it.

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:04 pm

Oh heck yes! I bake on weekends and I certainly do eat the results. I made strawberry shortcake on Sunday, in fact. And it was GOOD.

Cassie

Post by Cassie » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:07 pm

Yes, I eat them too on S days. But during the week too, I've strangely found recently, that when I made desserts I was absolutely fine with others eating them & not me (but I was open about the fact that I only eat desserts on weekends). This can only work- for me at least- though with good friends. It's not great to have to explain to acquaintances why you're not tasting the cheesecake...
Restarting NoS (after going back & forth over the last 4 years) in November 2013.

GOAL: to lose 10 kilos.
HAVE ACHIEVED SO FAR: 1.6 kilo