Food, Inc.

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

Food, Inc.

Post by wosnes » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:12 am

I thought I'd posted something about this here previously, but I've searched and can't find it. I'm going to see this movie tomorrow. There's also a companion book -- which I may buy.
http://www.foodincmovie.com/

Here's a review by Michael Ruhlman:
http://blog.ruhlman.com/ruhlmancom/2009 ... l#comments

Once again, I like the last paragraph:
Michael Ruhlman wrote:]Food Inc. makes two points very well that are worth repeating and then I'll shut up. One: wherever and whenever, try to know or find out the source of your food. And two: every time you buy food, it's a vote for more of that food; if it's excellent, you're asking for more; if it's shitty food, you're asking for more.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

~hf

Post by ~hf » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:17 am

I really want to see this. It looks like it has been a while and is coming back around in the theaters, is that right? I looked for it on netflix but they don't have it. Do you know if it is planned for a DVD release or is it theater only?

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:56 am

It opened earlier this summer and is opening at various times throughout the country. It opened in my city on 7/31. Here's a list:
http://www.magpictures.com/dates.aspx?i ... b5952f1480

It's coming out on DVD in November. If you eat, you should see it. Although I think it makes the question Pollan asked in The Omnivore's Dilemma, "What should we have for dinner?" even more difficult to answer, especially if you have little access to farmer's markets, CSA's grass-fed, pasture-raised meat and chicken and so on.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:45 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure what people in, for example, the upper Midwest are supposed to do. I guess almost anyone can put in a garden and do some home-canning, which improves your diet. I, myself, would probably eat McDonald's if that and home canning were my only choices, but probably some people would actually do it!

I live in Southern California and we have year-round farmer's markets. There is literally no day out of the year when you would have to eat imported produce or packaged food if you didn't want to. We are really spoiled!