Popping in to say "Hi" again...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

howfunisthat

Popping in to say "Hi" again...

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:17 pm

Where's the wave icon when you need it? I haven' t been around since I tripped over Valentine's Day and plunged headlong into the winter doldrums. I know, I know...it's AUGUST and I should have been back months ago. I've still be doing NoS...some days with success, some days without. I'm really not sure why I didn't blog about everything over the past few months, but I'm not going to spend a lot of time dwelling on that. I'm finally at a point where I hope I can not only write my thoughts, but hopefully encourage people around me.

My first recollection of being addicted to food and dieting was at age five when a doctor told me I should lose five pounds. I'm 49. The past 44 years have been a roller coaster of weight loss and weight gain....of every diet in the book...and some not in the book. I'm absolutely convinced that No S is my answer. As I've pondered the last few months of struggles, I'm actually encouraged at them. This is my conclusion.....I've spent the last 45 years battling food & dieting addiction. How in the world could I expect 100% success on this radical change in the first year? I wouldn't be disappointed in someone else...why in the world should I be disappointed in me? So...all that to say, I'm back, I'm continuing the battle, I'm not going to give up, and I'm looking forward to finally winning the battle for health.

Oh...before I forget to write it down, I had a huge success just yesterday & have to share. My daughter's 4th birthday is today. Last night I was all alone in the kitchen for about an hour decorating cupcakes AND homemade sugar cookies with frosting, jelly beans and M&Ms. I wasn't tempted to have any...to lick ANY frosting....or to nibble on one cookie. The scale may not be registering where I want it to, but I've come a long way in a year and I'm thrilled to see where the next year takes me.

Sorry for the wordiness...once I get started it's hard to stop!

Have a great day!
janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

Bushranger

Re: Popping in to say "Hi" again...

Post by Bushranger » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:44 pm

howfunisthat wrote:My first recollection of being addicted to food and dieting was at age five when a doctor told me I should lose five pounds.
That chump should have lost his license to practice.

Great to have you back on the forums. Everyone here is behind you as always. Even us newbies. :)

Cassie

Post by Cassie » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:02 pm

Hi Janie,

Welcome back! It seems like you've had a long, hard journey and I really really am hopeful for you that NoS will continue giving you a sense of relief after so many years of struggling! I have similar issues- mother was a yo-yo dieter, still is, in fact- and I've put on & lost weight (about 15-20 kilos each time) since my 20s. Am now 36, things are going much better, & I'm so sick of yo-yo dieting & of THINKING about food. These problems are the ones that led me to NoS & not so much the needed weight-loss itself.

Hurray on not being tempted while cooking! I experience it quite similarly too. I cooked everything for my 1 year old's birthday party on saturday & wasn't tempted at all.

GOOD LUCK & again, welcome back.
Restarting NoS (after going back & forth over the last 4 years) in November 2013.

GOAL: to lose 10 kilos.
HAVE ACHIEVED SO FAR: 1.6 kilo

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:54 pm

Welcome back! And happy birthday to your daughter!

Coincidentally, my old daughter's birthday is also today (she's five).

Reinhard

Cassie

Post by Cassie » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:45 pm

Reinhard, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your daughter :) AAAAwwwww, five... what a wonderful age! (my niece is five too).
Restarting NoS (after going back & forth over the last 4 years) in November 2013.

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:56 am

Happy Birthday Reinhard's Daughter and Cassie's Son!

Last edited by Bushranger on Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:16 am

Thanks so much for such a kind welcome back...

Bushranger...Thanks for the sympathy about that dr. years ago. I don't blame him at all for where I ended up going...my food issues are certainly mine alone, but if I think about what I would do if someone told my daughter to lose weight at four or five....I'd probably strangle them on the spot! Thankfully my kids are all naturally healthy eaters...they eat when they are hungry (which 3 of them are very often since they are teen boys!), and they stop when they are full - what a concept! Anyway...thanks again.

Reinhard...Thanks for the welcome back. Even though I've wavered in practicing vanilla No-S, I've never doubted that this plan is the most healthy, natural, and healing I've ever known. I've no doubt that I'll eat this way the rest of my life...and love it. It might take me a couple more years to master it, I'm just plain not going to give up.

Cassie...I completely understand that weariness of THINKING about food. It's such freedom to put the thoughts of food & dieting away. Happy belated birthday to your one-year old. We have four kids & I've enjoyed every age....congrats!

janie

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:39 pm

Five really is a great age -- you're going to have such a fun year!

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:18 pm

Thalia...These are indeed wonderful years! I think we're enjoying our daughter's first few years as it's been so long since we went through it. Our boys are 18, 16, and 14...then Izzy bringing up the caboose at 4. I have to say that I love teenagers...and I love the energy of my kids' friends. I know, I know, there must be something wrong with me...but I really love that age. I guess we're just either crazy or blessed...or both!

Thanks again for the welcome...

janie

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:21 pm

Glad you're back. :)

Five is a fun age... But I'm glad to hear the older ages are fun too.

Cassie

Post by Cassie » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:28 pm

Thanks bushranger for the cake :D

(Glad to hear the older ages are fun too...am loving the entry into toddlerhood that we're experiencing in the last month! even though my son sometimes loves screeching when he doesn't get his way. Is this the first stage of tantrums, I wonder? :roll: )

Other than that, Janie, it all sounds positive & we're here to support you along the way...

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:34 pm

Thanks for the welcome, Cassie. It's really lovely to be back.

Tantrums....toddlers are so good at them! Just remember that it's their job to test the limits & your job to hold them...you'll do fine!

Thanks again....
janie

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:27 pm

It's good to "see" you again! I took a break too, Christmas until around April when I started going again. In October I lost 20, then gained it, and now that I'm going again, I've again lost the 20. Whew! If I'd not taken the break, I'd probably be down 40. Oh well... live and learn. We have 4 kids (8-16) and those teens can be hard to diet around!!!!! Keep in touch.
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:32 pm

Bushranger wrote:
howfunisthat wrote:My first recollection of being addicted to food and dieting was at age five when a doctor told me I should lose five pounds.
I agree. If indeed a child has a weight problem (with the exception of those that are already morbidly obese), the goal should be not to gain more until they catch up in height.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:48 pm

I'm back, I'm continuing the battle, I'm not going to give up, and I'm looking forward to finally winning the battle for health.
That's what's important and that's what will give you victory in the end! A great big welcome back!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:18 pm

Thank you so much...you are all so kind to welcome me back. I'm not sure why I stayed away so long...but it's great to be here again!

janie

tarantinofan

Post by tarantinofan » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:34 pm

howfunisthat wrote:This is my conclusion.....I've spent the last 45 years battling food & dieting addiction. How in the world could I expect 100% success on this radical change in the first year? I wouldn't be disappointed in someone else...why in the world should I be disappointed in me? So...all that to say, I'm back, I'm continuing the battle, I'm not going to give up, and I'm looking forward to finally winning the battle for health.

...The scale may not be registering where I want it to, but I've come a long way in a year and I'm thrilled to see where the next year takes me.
Janie,

I just wanted to say that your story is really inspiring! Your thinking to the long term is important and, unfortunately, often neglected when people think of their health. I really think that weight loss is mainly psychological, and even though the scale may not be registering success for you (yet), you definitely have the outlook of someone who WILL lose weight and who won't accept failure in that "battle for health."

Anyway, good luck with everything. At least we're well-equipped for our battles with our No S Diet books and habitcals!

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:05 pm

Ari....How kind of you to reply.

I absolutely agree with you...this is a psychological battle. If we don't change from the inside out, the changes are merely temporary. I want to experience the freedom from food & dieting that is permanent.

It's wonderful to have just great support....I do hope I can be just as much of a cheerleader for all of you...

janie

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:00 pm

wosnes wrote:
Bushranger wrote:
I agree. If indeed a child has a weight problem (with the exception of those that are already morbidly obese), the goal should be not to gain more until they catch up in height.
Yep. And you don't bloody well tell the child either. A kid has enough things to learn as it is than dealing with dodgy adult crap like being fat. Also, if they are eating healthy I would hesitate to do anything at all. Pardon my expression, but I would have been wild if the doctor said something like that within earshot of my child (if I had one). People like that doctor make me mad, they lack tact and aren’t very smart for someone who’s so academically bright.

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:03 pm

Bushranger....couldn't agree more! The thing is, I was only about 5 pounds over where I "should" have been. I had an overactive petuitary gland, and was entering puberty at a very young age and they were looking for brain tumors at the same time. As I look back on it, I was just fine...but this doctor apparently thought that by telling me about those 5 pounds, I'd have the maturity to deal with it. I just don't get it...how in the world would a doctor think that telling a 5-year old girl she was overweight be a good thing? I have a four-year old girl & if anyone said that to her I'd have a fit. It's hard enough to raise kids with healthy self-esteems in a world where we are bombarded with air-brushed images, we don't need doctors to tell little girls they need to lose weight.

Anyway...thanks for letting me vent about that. I have three teen boys who have never struggled with eating, and my little girl seems to be on the right track for eating naturally. She eats when she's hungry & stops when she's full...what a concept! If we can raise our family to be healthy, I'll feel a great sense of accomplishment.

Thanks again,
janie

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:26 pm

Top notch job on the family Janie. That's great to hear.