Article: 97-year old doctor on diet & lifestyle

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

angigal

Article: 97-year old doctor on diet & lifestyle

Post by angigal » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:58 pm

I'd like to share this article about a 97-year old doctor, Shigeaki Hinohara. I read this article a while ago, and it struck me that many of his philosophies fit in well with No S principles. One of the things he says is, "All people who live long — regardless of nationality, race or gender — share one thing in common: None are overweight." As No S-ers, we can't agree with all of his dietary choices, but this is still a good read!

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ ... 129jk.html

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:06 pm

His diet certainly isn't what we'd call optimal, but it obviously works for him!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

harmony

Post by harmony » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:26 pm

I like his attitude about life and medicine. It's a mix of having fun and just letting life happen, but being prepared for the worst just in case. He's the ant and the grasshopper rolled up in one. What an odd diet, though.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:59 pm

harmony_55805 wrote:I like his attitude about life and medicine. It's a mix of having fun and just letting life happen, but being prepared for the worst just in case. He's the ant and the grasshopper rolled up in one. What an odd diet, though.
Reminds me of what one of my favorite motivational speakers say:
Larry Winget wrote:Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Celebrate it all.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:14 am

Obviously, he is one of the "Blue Zoners" who have an extremely limited caloric intake.

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:56 am

His diet is a little too sparse for my liking but I can see a few trends in it that match up with the usual habits of bluezones. Some of his thought process matches with what occurs in the bluezone cultures also.

angigal

Post by angigal » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:48 pm

Bushranger, good point about his thought process. On one hand, he seems to be very causal, like "oh, for lunch, if I feel like eating, I have some milk and cookies". On the other hand, he seems quite precise, at least when it comes to counting grams of meat he eats. This is an interesting combination. I kind of like the casual approach myself (which explains why I'm here and not on the Weight Watchers site). :-)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:29 pm

angigal wrote:On the other hand, he seems quite precise, at least when it comes to counting grams of meat he eats.
I don't think he's so precise about it -- especially if meat is weighed in kg! It's not different from me saying I have 1/4 pound of meat twice weekly.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:46 am

He does seem to stick to three "meals." :-)

I also very much doubt this was how he always ate.

Still, interesting (and impressive, on a number of levels).

Reinhard

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:01 am

Meat is hideously expensive in Japan. I think you will find he buy his 2 weekly serves in 100g packs. At any rate, it's not important. What I was referring to was he eats quite healthily and moderately but is quite relaxed about it all and like all people who aren't diet nutters he's got better things to focus his thoughts on than food beyond simply eating and enjoying it.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:04 pm

Diet nutters. I like that term.