TV time/exercise??

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gratefuldeb67

TV time/exercise??

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:36 pm

Just wondering how many people here do some part of their exercise in front of the television?
I'm not too in love with it, compared with being outside, but then again, I've found that when there are commercials on, or sometimes even during a show, I try to sneak in some squats and dumb bells stuff, and then I fall back onto the sofa haha :)
Seems that it's better than sitting the whole time.
The only way I remember tho, is to have the dumb bells right next to the tv so I see them.
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

kwonset

Post by kwonset » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:20 pm

Deb,
That's where my dumb-bells and resistance bands live--- right near the TV and computer so I almost trip over them!

Karen

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:25 pm

Sometimes I do shovelglove while watching part of a DVD.
:)

I much prefer walking outside/listening to audiobooks for cardio, but in the winter I go through phases where I watch a show/DVD while working out on the treadmill.
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:47 pm

If I had one, I use a treadmill while watching TV. I do some weight training in front of it now.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:00 am

Oh, I always need entertainment when I'm exercising so when I train inside I do it in front of the tv usually ... When I train outside I have my .mp3 player and I listen to music while I work out.

TV shows ... I watch reality TV crime shows while training : (Intervention, The first 48, Crime 360, Lock up, Lock down, Dateline, 48 hours, etc.) or sports (Canadian football, tennis) when I'm working out, other shows I keep for later when I'm done with my exercises.

Yeah, I remember reading that too, an article about working out during commercials when you watch live tv. Those 3-4 minutes add up in the long run and it's good if you don't have a lot of endurance too, you can work out for 3-4 minutes and then you get to rest for 8-10 minutes while your show is continuing (Not the best for the cardio improvement to train that way but better than sitting on the couch doing nothing, later after you've improved, you can do the opposite, train during your program and rest during the commercials, lol !)

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

Disclaimer : I am following a more extreme version of the 'No-S' diet.
I made my own personal modifications to the original plan (Diet & Exercise)
What I am doing should not be misinterpreted as being a typical 'No-S' diet experience.
11/01/2008 : 280.0 pounds
08/14/2009 : 197.0 pounds
( 9 months 14 days / -83.0 pounds )
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Goal : 11/01/2009 : 190.0 pounds ( 1 year / -90.0 pounds )

tarantinofan

Post by tarantinofan » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:59 am

I love watching TV/DVD's while working out on the elliptical. I also like to read while working out. The trick is to make sure there's something on that TV/in front of me that will motivate and keep me interested. I just saw Jules et Jim today while working out. Very french lol

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:07 am

I always watch TV or DVDs
while I'm exercizing on the Treadmill or Gazelle.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

bizzybee

Post by bizzybee » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:25 am

Does using the wii count as being in front of the TV? I can't get pretty sore with some of the games.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:38 am

I exercise in front of the TV every day. I kind of hate exercising outside - it's too unpredicable weather-wise which makes it hard to get into a groove, I feel VERY self conscious (yes, even though I'm not overweight) and people kinda scare me. Yes, this is very anti-social behavior, but what can I say?

I usually like watching The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer while doing the exercise bike or Gilmore Girls (though I mostly hate that show) or Spongebob if it's not one I've seen a million times.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:40 am

I don't do it in front of the TV, since I don't have TV, but I do have a decent colletction of exercise videos that I use 5 times a week. If I get in the mood to ride the recumbent bike, I'll watch one of the TV shows that I own on dvd.

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:28 am

I don't, partially because I lack a television. The main reason is that I find most exercises yield better results with the focus firmly on correct form. I have been known to prepare dinner between sets, however.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:54 am

I have a 60" pilates ball that I sometimes sit on while watching TV and do simple exercises on. If I do anything *bouncy* it drives my husband crazy - have to be careful!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

winnie96

Post by winnie96 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:23 am

If I haven't gotten in enough steps for the day, I march in place while watching tv.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:56 pm

ThomsonsPier wrote:I don't, partially because I lack a television. The main reason is that I find most exercises yield better results with the focus firmly on correct form. I have been known to prepare dinner between sets, however.
I focus on my form when I do the squats and other stuff, even if the tv is on.

Well, as I said before, I think it's just a good way to sneak in a bit of healthy activity rather than being a complete "potato" :wink:

Nice to read everybody's responses :)
8) Debs

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:16 pm

Okay, so today I did what Marc suggested.. This time I exercised for the whole program.
20 mins of moderate and somewhat slowish weights/squats etc... then,,,,, I decided I was feeling so good I'd just go for 30 mins.. And I used the last ten mins for cardio, jogging in place, running around back and forth across the apartment and air boxing and weird dancing! hahah :)
I got a *GREAT* workout!!
Woo hoo!!!! :D
8) Debs

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:25 pm

That does sound like a good workout! Good job!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:15 am

Thanks Clarinetgal! :D

mstevens

Post by mstevens » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:15 am

I also lack a TV, so I can't exercise in front of it!

Need to find more ways to get exercise, at the moment all I do is a weekly pilates class.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:23 pm

For the last year or so, my wife and I have been doing our N-daily 14 minutes while watching the news.

It's an extra motivation to exercise, plus it saves me time I would have spent reading "news" (and who knows what else) on the web.

I can't believe I used to think the internet was a more efficient way to get news than traditional print/TV -- so easy to forget about that pesky human nature!

Reinhard