No S diet doesn't work for me(2nd time)

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

pepper

No S diet doesn't work for me(2nd time)

Post by pepper » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:17 am

So I started No S last summer and I lost 10 lbs. because I was trying the mini snacks between meals to boost metabolism. But being a big guy(6'1" 180lb) I gained 10 lbs because I ate more than I should have(It was probably the yogurt and granola bars I ate-too much sugar).

Anywho, I stumbled upon this diet after 2 weeks of "mini snacking". At 190lb, I began No S for 2 months and lost it. School started and going to a private school, I had loads of work. I don't even have a good GPA.

So come this summer, I started again in July but I didn't lose any weight at all. I started eating controlled portions again, no snacks(though I didn't eat much in between meals to begin with-but I did eat so that was the problem). I would eat about 1.25-1.5x what I ate while I was on the No S uring the school year. Unfortunately, rice is a staple in my diet.

Starting in August I started swimming every day at my gym's pool. Only last week did I start seeing results. I'm still 6'1" but am 187lbs. I have considerably more tone in my arms and in my stomach. I was working out and playing tennis before the entire year. But only made a trip to the gym 2x a week. Tennis was at least 3x.

I was average in physique before I started the No S in 08 but I had risen to 190 and was worse off. With the swimming, I am now slim but the No S didnt' seem to help in the way I had expected.

I'm just surprised No S diet didn't make such a noticeable difference as it did last time. Any thoughts?
I love the smell of Napalm in the morning...

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:28 am

There's an old formula for how much men (and women) should weigh. For men, it's 100 pounds for the first 5' in height, and 6 additional pounds for each additional inch of height -- give or take a little. So the "ideal" weight for an "average" 6'1" man would be 178 pounds.

I think if you just stick to the No-S rules you'll be fine. From my point of view, you didn't have a problem at 180 and only a small one at 190. One thing about No-S: weight loss isn't quick.

By the way, I don't think rice is a problem. Much of the world's population eat diets based on rice along with vegetables, legumes, maybe other grains, fruits and small amounts of meat and fish.

See this:
http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=5363
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:42 am

I am 6'2", 199 lbs. I know I have some weight left to lose, but I'm getting close.

Of course, it's difficult to tell from just a few lines of text, but it sounds to me like you might be near / at your ideal weight. You sound like you are active, and you report seeing increased tone in some areas. I think you have just gained some muscle, perhaps a bit of fat, but overall I'd bet you are pretty darn fit. Take a good look at yourself, perhaps you'll agree...

If you agree that you are fit, but you are trying to get "ripped", then I'd suggest you pay a bit less attention to scale weight, and much more attention to body measurements. Waist, hips, neck, biceps, etc. This will tell a greater story if you are trying to go beyond fit towards truly athletic/muscular.
--- Stephen ---
My No S Diet Progress
"Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer."

sporkfancier

Post by sporkfancier » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:13 pm

I think the key here is that you're never going to look like Michael Phelps just by doing No-S. You might look like Reinhard, though. If you want to be ripped, you're probably going to have to pay attention to your macronutrients: drastically increase your lean protein and cut your simple carbohydrates. It sounds like you're close to your goal, so something like the Velocity diet might work for you. However, that type of body is inherently temporary--it's not something you can sustain without a great deal of sacrifice.
Shovel glove? Isn't that the size of prophylactic I use?

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:13 pm

My husband is 5'10 and yoyo's around 180-190 and he looks great. He has a sweet tooth and he exercises. Granted one time he lost too much weight and went to a scary 155. He looks great around 180.

I guess it's not always about numbers, it's how you wear it. And I agree No S is slow sometimes, but it sounds like you are near your ideal weight, so unless you are doing extreme exercise, I don't see how you can lose a lot. Good luck. No S is simple. You don't have to count anything and you are guaranteeing you are not overeating or eating too much of the sweets (the biggest pound packer).

Don't be discouraged.
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

Gia

Post by Gia » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:22 am

i was an athletic swimmer type as well. Swimming makes you disproportionately hungrier than other sports. You expend more calories in the pool than you think, but you also feel incredibly hungry after and tend to eat enough to compensate the calories burned + more.

If you see yourself looking much fitter and toned, but your weight is the same, it could be that you've reached your goal weight, or you are overexerting yourself so that you overcompensate by eating more on your plate.

I would suggest doing some resistance training for 30 mins consistently each day instead. You don't feel the hunger as much, you burn calories + don't overeat ALL while toning up a lot. It helps.

That's my 2cents.

pepper

Post by pepper » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:33 am

I'm not really going for Michael Phelps-never thought about it to be honest. I think even Ian thorpe would be my deal physique(eventually, maybe in 2 years). He's not super cut, and I know many swimmers are not due to the fact that swimmers have longer muscles. But I'm fantastically lazy when it comes to weights - don't ask me why, I have no idea myself.

I'm aware that muscle weighs more than fat so that may be why I haven't lost much weight. I was simply curious as to why I hadn't lost more weight over 2 months.

To Gia:
Luckily, I don't overeat so I'm fine in that department(actually, I've been eating less than when I did start swimming and feel fine). I'm planning on doing HIIT in swimming soon but have yet to perfect my strokes. Do you have any suggestions/tips for breathing? I roll into my breath(I breath every two because my doctor recommends it-happens to be an instructor). I try to make sure I don't turn my head too much. Kicking is another issue I'm trying to fix. How do you get those beautiful fluid kicks of competitive swimmers?

PS those pictures of Reinhard are amazing. I had no idea that was what he looked like
I love the smell of Napalm in the morning...