Missing you guys!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

FarmerHal

Missing you guys!

Post by FarmerHal » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:16 am

I've been absent again from the boards.

IT's not all bad, though.

I have, in the last 2 weeks, made a wonderful discovery! I decided maybe carbs (specifically cereal grains) were affecting me. I already have insulin resistance (or hyperinsulinism) so my cells do not absorb insulin readily. This is a pre diabetic condition( scary!).

I started doing very low carb (along the lines of Atkins) and in 2 weeks, 12 pounds melted off with no effort. And I EAT, well!

It is also along the lines of NOS though, I try to eat only 3 meals plus one mini afternoon meal.

I'm misisng you guys and miss hearing about how everyone is doing.
DS started school and DD starts preschool soon, so that will be a mch lighter "load" for me, I'll be getin a break and I so need it! DH is nearly half way through the deployment- still feels like he's been gone forever though! He'll be done and back mid april though, thankfully.

That's about it. I think it's wonderful that I've figured out what is going on with my body. Now of course I am trying to limit S's (Sweets) to only special occasions. Yesterday was DD's 3rd birthday and I had a scoop of ice cream and a piece of cake. I could feel a rush of insulin, nausea, my skin started to itch (caused by insulin overage) and then today I felt very hungry all day despite the fact that I'm eatin! Steaks and chops and loins and chicken and fish and shrimp and eggs and veggies veggies vegges!

Got my pancreas workign overtime again. I have so much energy, much more level mood, clear mind- no brain fog, and no afternoon slump.

Anyway, that's what's going on with me, I hope it's ok if I stay here on the board even though I'm low carbing :)

Tiffani aka shamrockmommy
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:45 am

Hi Tiffani,

Low carb isn't no carb. If you feel better eating this way, then by all means do it!

Glad you are getting some relief.

Anne

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:56 am

Thanks Anne, good to see you!

I have cut out grains (so bread, cereals, corn in any form) tubers (potatoes, yams, sweet taters) and sugar. I realize now it affects me so much that it should be an S that is limited to Special occasions only. Delicious and I love it, but my body does not!

I truely feel much better eating this way. :) So a necessary S Mod or me will be that my S will be on special occasions only.

If I feel the need for a sweet, fruit does quite well without making me miserable.

Funny thing is, I didn't realize how awful I felt, Sleepy, irritable, tired, brain 'fog' just couldn't think straight! swollen (Feet especially, I had cankles, now I can almost see my ankles!), puffy face.

People are starting to notice. Hadn't seen my dad in a month or so and I stopped over with the kiddo to visit, his words: "WOW! You look different, are you losing weight?" SO wow! :)

I am down from 234.5 (and it was just rising and rising) to 222.5 in 2 weeks.
Amazing. Maybe this could be a possible suggestion for those struggling with weight stalls on noS?
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:21 pm

Isn't it great the way No S can fit into almost any kind of food plan?
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:26 pm

Wow! It sounds like you've made quite a discovery about how your body responds to carbs.

I'm very happy for you! :D
--- Stephen ---
My No S Diet Progress
"Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:09 pm

We missed you too!

Happy to hear you're doing well -- and that you're successfully combining low carb and no-s.

Reinhard

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:42 pm

It's so nice to see you back, Tiffani. I'm so glad to hear everything is going well. It is amazing how much food affects us - and most of us never make that connection. Keep up the good work and listen to your body.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:51 pm

Congratulations! Glad to hear you're doing well and feeling good :)

And I'm low-cal-ing with NoS and I'm still here! I just keep it on the down-low (not saying you have to, just sharing what I do).
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:21 pm

That's awesome! I say whatever works for you, just do it. :D

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:54 pm

It's so nice to see you again! I was gone for several months over the winter & just came back about a month ago. I'm so happy for you that you've figured some things out...and especially that your hubbie is nearly halfway through his deployment. I do hope the rest of the time goes quickly for you.

I also hope you'll be here whenever you can. It's lovely to see your name pop up!

hugs,
janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:03 pm

Glad to see you, and glad you're doing well! :)