diets outside the U.S.

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

joasia

diets outside the U.S.

Post by joasia » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:48 pm

Recently I was speaking with a friend whose entire family comes from North Africa. His father was visiting for 6 weeks. He really loved visiting. But one of his very first comments was how huge people here are. How they eat constantly. Even while crossing the street or walking down the street. Unheard of in his country, where meal times come at a set time and are sit down and shared with the other family members of the household. And how big the drinks and food containers here are. Big gulps, he actually laughed at. Who could imagine drinking that much in one sitting. Coke here is even sold in a larger can size than back in his home town. And he swears the coke is stronger in taste and much sweeter. He really loved visiting America and was not being critical, but rather observing a striking difference in eating and drinking habits. And of course, he was shocked by the amount of fast food and how often people eat out.

He commented that people in his country simply don't have the money to eat as often and as much as we do. Coupled with social norms that govern eating times and habits. This coming from a man who has never dieted, whose family has never dieted, and none of which have ever struggled with weight issues. I thought this was very interesting for us nosers.
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:08 pm

I've heard things like that before. One of our neighbors emigrated to Israel and married a woman there who was originally from South Africa. She was amazed at the choices here, the size of meals -- well, everything you mentioned.

I don't think people realize how strong those habits and customs can be. Social customs surrounding eating can be equally as strong as religious habits in regard to food. You don't eat too much or too often because it's not acceptable for any number of reasons.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

flightisleavin

Post by flightisleavin » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:43 pm

Milczar. That is such an interesting post.

I have a friend who just got back from a Euro vacation and she noted the difference in portion sizes. Even in England the portions were smaller and the food was expensive.

I wonder if it is that Americans have a "get the most bang for your buck" mentality and that includes food. You must get a bargain or take advantage of a sale and never pay full price. So bigger and more is better especially if it does not cost that much more for the bigger size.

I remember an ad years ago for Wendy's where the owner of Wendys was visiting France and he was served a piddly French portion. He made an awful digusted look and then the ad went onto say how you could get a biggie fry and biggy drink for a very reasonable price and not go home hungry. It showed the biggie items with the double hamburger and the cheap price. Remember the Where's the Beef compaign?" And that seemed like a good thing, getting great quantities of food for your money. Fast food and even snack foods are a great bargain.
Starting date: June 22, 2009. Starting wgt: 220. Goal 120. Current weight: 198. Mindset: Celebrating moderation.

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:48 pm

We have a family member who married a person from Bangladesh. Altho this person is from a family that is considered ruling class - quite wealthy, he still thinks America is filled with excess.

He's right.

SR

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:05 pm

flightisleavin wrote:
I wonder if it is that Americans have a "get the most bang for your buck" mentality and that includes food. You must get a bargain or take advantage of a sale and never pay full price. So bigger and more is better especially if it does not cost that much more for the bigger size.

I remember an ad years ago for Wendy's where the owner of Wendys was visiting France and he was served a piddly French portion. He made an awful digusted look and then the ad went onto say how you could get a biggie fry and biggy drink for a very reasonable price and not go home hungry. It showed the biggie items with the double hamburger and the cheap price. Remember the Where's the Beef compaign?" And that seemed like a good thing, getting great quantities of food for your money. Fast food and even snack foods are a great bargain.
Well, though this seems to contradict something I said the other day, nearly all food here is cheap because of farmers being subsidized. Those who grow corn sell it for less than it costs them to grow it and are subsidized by the government. Fruits and vegetables aren't subsidized and they are more expensive.
Last edited by wosnes on Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

rpm

Post by rpm » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:34 pm

Americans pay a less percentage of their income for food than any other nation. I think it currently is less than 10% where in some parts of the world it is over 50%.
René
Taking care of me, one No S Day at a time!

TunaFishKid

Re: diets outside the U.S.

Post by TunaFishKid » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:46 pm

milczar wrote:...And how big the drinks and food containers here are. Big gulps, he actually laughed at. Who could imagine drinking that much in one sitting...
I'm mystified by the gigantic sodas myself. Not too long ago I asked for a small Diet Coke at the concession stand at the movies. The guy behind the counter put a HUGE cup of soda on the counter and when he rang it up on the cash register the readout said "32oz." I said to him, "I'm sorry, but I ordered a small drink." He said, "This is the small drink". :shock: Can you IMAGINE all the sugar someone would consume if they drink regular soda, not diet? And how on earth can one sit through an entire movie after drinking a quart of liquid??
~ Laura ~

flightisleavin

Post by flightisleavin » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:50 pm

RPM. I know. I had read that also.

It just makes me think that since food seems so plentiful it must sold at a bargain price to make it more marketable so it would make sense that food that is cheap to produce would be easier on the pocketbook. Not necessarily better for your health or nutrition but cheaper to get. Most Americans complain about thier grocery bills being too high even with that small amount compared to other countries.
Starting date: June 22, 2009. Starting wgt: 220. Goal 120. Current weight: 198. Mindset: Celebrating moderation.