Bulletin Board Etiquette (please read!)

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

reinhard
Site Admin

Bulletin Board Etiquette (please read!)

Post by reinhard » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:08 pm

I am happy that it's taken 7 years for it to become necessary for me to post something like this -- but unfortunately, some uncharacteristically heated posts over these last two weeks have made it so.

Please let's be careful not to insult one another. There's no reason we can't be civil when we disagree. This board has a pretty great track record in this regard and honestly I'd rather just take the board down than see that change.

So please, please, think twice before posting something aggressive.

And think twice more before taking offense; that's almost guaranteed to just escalate things further.

Just don't respond to rude comments -- and let me know via email or private message. I'll step in to make sure it stops.

Please note that this isn't to discourage differences of opinion -- those are fine, they're great, actually. This board would be dull as earth without them. But there is no reason not to frame these differences in a polite and respectful way -- as almost everyone has, over tens of thousands of posts here and on the yahoo group that preceded it, since 2002.

Much as I HATE the idea of doing this, I'm going to freeze the accounts of people who repeatedly choose not to comply. I hate exercising censorship, but people need to feel safe here.

Thanks in advance for your tolerance and understanding,

Reinhard
Last edited by reinhard on Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:24 pm

Well said. Nothing wrong with a lil' discussion as long as it doesn't go overboard.

The rules should have been in place from the get go. It's like when you get in your car, you have to observe the rules of the road or else you get in trouble. I'd say if people get warned once or twice and then they keep on with the disruptive behavior that should be enough.

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:14 pm

Congratulations Reinhard that it took 7 years to finally have to actually put up this kind of reminder.

This board has always been an amazingly polite and thoughtful group of posters, and I believe it's a testament to you.
Like attracts like and you are a compassionate, intelligent, and *always* welcoming and encouraging leader to us all, so it's no surprise to me that the board has, by and large, been a cut above most other forums on the web, with regard to the quality of interaction and the thoughtfulness and positivity that most members bring to this place.
I'm very proud to be one of the original members of NoS and am enjoying sharing my own journey here.
I hope that people do really think about how important this board is.
I'd be very sad to see it shut down ever.
Your active involvement really helps.
Sorry for the stress that recent events have caused for you.
I hope that the good vibes continue here and, if not for anything else but, out of respect for you, that people respect these guidelines.
Have a great week my friend!

8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Shadowfairy

Post by Shadowfairy » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:36 am

Hello Reinhard! I'm fairly new here. And I came from Myfitnesspal. I agree with all of the above, and I don't want this board to become like Myfitnesspal's forums (They belittle you for having a different opinion, like their way is the ONLY way).

That's the whole reason I came here. Was just tired of getting insulted when I say : "Weight loss is better achieved through eating healthy mostly and treats in moderation."

And then hearing : "Calories in calories out for weight loss! We want to lose weight eating twinkies! No exceptions! Go away. You're dumb."

Well yeah, but this is about overall health too, isn't it? :-/
Forget everything you learned!