Social Pressure to Snack

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NoelFigart

Social Pressure to Snack

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:57 am

My goodness.

In my earlier No S attempts, I really didn't mention I'd been doing it, other than a blog post or two.

I mentioned on a couple of social networking sites that I was doing this, and people are coming out of the WOODWORK to caution me that I'm ENDANGERING MY HEALTH by not snacking.

I'm at the stage where I say, "How about that?" and just doing what I want to rather than explaining.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:46 am

The Pro Snacking forces are powerful and pervasive. :)

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:46 pm

<insert the Darth Vader Theme Song>

(go ahead... da, da, daaa, dum de daa, dum de daa)

"Come to dark side...

dark chocolate!"
--- Stephen ---
My No S Diet Progress
"Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer."

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:49 pm

Well, generations before us did not snack and obviously survived long enough to produce us :lol:

Studies have shown that we are raising the first generation that will not have as long an expected life span as the generation that preceded them.

So, how's that snacky thing working out?

:cry:

wintry

Post by wintry » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:55 pm

How did our culture get the idea that snacking is healthy? Because I definitely feel like I was brought up that way . . . was it that "grazers are thinner" study? Or all the ads for healthy snack foods?

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:39 pm

Every once in a while I need to re-read the snacking section of Reinhard's book to remind my self. Our over-snacking society is obsessed with snacking and it is a recent way of thinking... they never used to snack at all back when my skinny great grandparents were alive.

Now food is everywhere!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:59 pm

Follow the Money, Luke... it will lead you to the dark side... profit, capitalism, greed.

Snacks = Money.
More Snacks = More Money.
so... more 'studies' appear that show snacking is good.

Just take the Red Pill, Neo. Awaken to the world as it really is.

Ooops, I'm mixing up my movies...

(Sorry for being so silly today... :P I guess I'm just having a great day off so far!)
--- Stephen ---
My No S Diet Progress
"Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer."

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:02 pm

You're probably right, Stephen. At least it seems probable.

Though I'd love to see that substantiated at some point. All the "snacks are good" studies? I'd love to see the funding stats on 'em, if anyone has the data easily to hand.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:11 pm

This didn't used to be a problem for me, but is becoming one. Where I work now, there are a LOT of "food occasions." Some of them coincide with meals, and I eat. Some don't, and I don't. And I don't eat the sweets, regardless.

Not a big deal, except a couple of people that I work with regularly have noticed and begun commenting on how I "never" eat sweets. I have said, I do, just on weekends and special occasions. Of course, they don't see me then, so they don't really take that in.

I think one of them feels very defensive of her own choices (she eats desserts, but the guilt seems to overwhelm her even as she eats - I remember that feeling!) The other seems not to care, but has noticed that it's a thing I do and will tell others, "oh, KCCC never..."

It's surprising how uncomfortable this makes me- as if I'm being perceived as striking some kind of "holier than thou" pose, when I don't mean to. Not a lot I can think of to do about it, so I'm learning to live with it.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:26 pm

I'm sorry you have to cope with that, KCCC.

Too bad Miss Manners wouldn't approve of a freezing look, and a terse, "I'd always been under the impression that commenting on other people's personal choices is intolerably rude."

But that remark isn't polite, either, I suppose!
------

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:15 pm

It is a strange world indeed when the "nuts" are the ones who are trying to do the right thing -

you know, exercise nuts - health nuts, etc.

My husband was recently in the hospital and I was given access to the staff room to get iced tea, coffee, etc. as I stayed with him. The staff room was filled with pastries, chips, sodas, candies, etc. Trays of food everywere.

And, sadly, most of the staff was very overweight.

Same for many offices,schools, you name it - there seems to be a fear that one cannot go more than an hour without food in this nation

SR :cry:

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:17 am

Don't you know that if you don't have a handful of almonds or half an apple with two Tbs peanut butter every single day that you will dangerously lower your metabolism to the point where you pass out if you stand up too fast. You'll also get nosebleeds and probably feminine problems (even if you are a guy). My friend's cousin who is married to a doctor says so.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:49 am

I have found that having something to drink which is not water seems to take the social edge off not snacking. I just got Real Simple magazine, and there's a whole page in there on the benefits of snacking. I see the philosophy of "healthy snacking" everywhere!
Kathleen