So what DIDN'T you eat?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

howfunisthat

So what DIDN'T you eat?

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:39 am

I just got back from the NY State Fair. You know fairs...there were funnel cakes.... sausage & peppers... fried pickles... fried Snickers bars... roasted potatoes... ice cream... just about any kind of treat you could imagine. I had decided that I'd switch my yellow Saturday to today so I could have a funnel cake. BUT....guess what? I didn't WANT one! I ate pizza for dinner, as planned, but when it came time to get a funnel cake, I realized it just wasn't worth it. This is a totally foreign concept to me...deciding NOT to eat something I normally salivate over...and not feeling deprived at all. I left the fair with such a great sense of being in control....it was wonderful.

So...what have you recently turned down? We often think about the things that trip us up, but what about the things we've turned away from? I want to hear your stories...

janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:43 am

That's great Janie!! :)
Good for you!!!
Hmmm how are fried pickles??? :wink:
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

buttercreampillow

Post by buttercreampillow » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:05 am

I went to a smoothie place today for lunch. The smoothie was made with fruit and frozen yogurt, so in order to not have the sweet part I had them leave out the yogurt and just make it with the fruits and ice. They added a banana for creaminess. It wasn't too sweet and very peachy-mangoey. Yay, me!

buttercreampillow
Natural Eater

marleah

Post by marleah » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:02 pm

I just started a job as a para this August at a local elementary school, and during the first week, one day there was part of a cake in the lounge, and the next day there were TWO desserts in the lounge! Everyone was indulging, but I told them I save my treats for the weekend.

Yay me!
- vegan grad student -
- 5'2" starting at 140-145 in March 2009 -
- S-Days Saturday and Sunday -

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:28 pm

Deb...I have no idea how fried pickles are...because I didn't eat them!!! LOL! YEAH ME! I'm sure they are yummy...but they didn't even tempt me this year!

Buttercream...YUM! What a great smoothie! Good for you...

Marleah...Great job on passing by those cakes!

janie

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:29 pm

Last night, my daughter had her heart set on a pizza from Papa John's. This always trips me up so I usually order it only on weekends. I made a separate dinner for myself and decided I would eat just the crust from two of her slices as part of my plate (I always eat her crust, in addition to my slices). When I was putting her leftover pizza away, I noticed there was a little triangle broken off from a main piece. I ALMOST picked it up, but decided it wasn't worth it, especially since I couldn't be absolutely sure I'd stop there and I was weighing in today.

And I took off my vacation gain! Yay me!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:26 am

My story was similar to that of howfunisthat. I walked to my local downtown, and I decided to check out the Harbor Days event, which consisted of fun things like boat rides, tugboat races, booths, food, etc... I was sort of tempted to eat the food as I was walking past all of the food booths, but I had already decided that I wanted rice with vegetables and some sort of meat for lunch, so I completely passed up the fair food. I found a nice little Vietnamese/Chinese restaurant that served exactly what I was looking for, and it was delicious!

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:55 pm

Yeah for ALL of us!!!

janie

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:22 pm

I did not eat the half-a-banana left over from putting fruit into homemade jello.

That doesn't sound impressive, but it's the sort of thing I'd normally inhale without thinking about on an S-day. Exactly the habit I'm trying to break.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:25 pm

KCC, I know what you mean. A habit I'm working on breaking is nibbling on my toddler son's cookies, or eating the peanut butter off of the knife after I've made a sandwich for him. Those little nibbles really do add up.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:10 am

Our daughter brought us samples of all the ooey-gooey sweet rolls she made in school this week (pastry chef-in-training!), but they are still in the freezer, waiting to be parceled out one at a time on future S-Days.
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:09 pm

clarinetgal wrote:KCC, I know what you mean. A habit I'm working on breaking is nibbling on my toddler son's cookies, or eating the peanut butter off of the knife after I've made a sandwich for him. Those little nibbles really do add up.
I did have the half-banana later, as part of my evening meal. But that was different.

I'm really working on BLTs (bites, licks, and tastes) right now. Or, in more No-S-ish terminology, "no snitching."

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:21 am

I had another triumph today. Today was the start up of my fall Bible study, so there was a big spread of food sitting on a table when I walked into the room. I was late anyway, so I just got some tea, and that was it! I didn't eat any of the food.

sporkfancier

Post by sporkfancier » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:40 am

Funnel cake for me, too. We went to the zoo last weekend, and I was pumped to grab a funnel cake or mini-doughnuts. When it came time to buy one, I decided I wasn't hungry for one. It was really, really weird, and my wife couldn't believe it either.

No-S!
Shovel glove? Isn't that the size of prophylactic I use?

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:54 pm

Last night my hubby went out to an open mic night at our favorite bookstore. I stayed home and watched the baby. I told him to get me a brownie. He said if he remembers to. Then I said I hope you forget because I'm not supposed to have brownies during the week. Well, thank god he came home empty-handed.

And another thing I said No to is... my uncle works for Pepperidge Farm and unloaded a ton of boxes of cookies onto us. There is one on the dining table unopened. But! I already decided I wasn't going to even start that and my husband is going to feel really gross when he finds it is he who ate all the boxes of cookies.
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:58 pm

First day back at work today. One of my colleagues brought in a home-made chocolate cake with caramel and flan layers. It looked delicious but last time I checked, today was not an S day so I passed.