New here

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

alene1

New here

Post by alene1 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:39 pm

Hello,

I've been lurking around the board for a few days, and wanted to introduce myself. I'm really impressed with how supportive everyone is, and all the intelligent and sane discussion.

I have been a lifelong yoyo dieter, trying every plan that came down the pike. Several years ago I finally decided that enough was enough. I was driving myself crazy with obsessing over food, counting calories, and basing my self worth on my weight. Finally woke up and realized that my weight had nothing to do with my value as a person, and that I wasn't going to do this to myself anymore. Since then I've been practicing intuitive eating(listening to your body for it's hunger/fullness signals,) and I feel so much freer. No good/bad foods, just healthier choices, and treat foods. I was able to lose 20 lbs. this way, slowly, but have been at a standstill the last 4 or 5 months. I decided to give this a try because it makes so much sense. I'm not willing to go back to the bondage of calorie counting to reach a healthy weight, but I think I can do this. Giving up snacking all week will be the toughest part. My body is used to eating every 2-3 hours.

I started on Sunday, so yesterday was my first N day with Monday being a holiday. It was interesting to me how much I enjoyed my S days. I realized that on some level I must still see treat foods differently than healthier choices. There is a component of whether you "deserve" to have a treat or not. I think often I would just eat up a treat quickly, to make it "disappear," as if still being overweight, I didn't really "deserve" it, or at least shouldn't savor it. Maybe when I was thin it would be okay to do that. Messed up thinking. I guess somehow it felt different when I felt like it was just part of the plan. I took the time to really savor the good food, and felt satisfied afterwards.

I'm excited to see how this goes. I'd love to lose about 35 lbs., but will let my body dictate where it wants to land. It will be interesting to see how my body responds to this way of eating. Glad to be here, and excited to see where this journey leads!

Sue

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:06 pm

Welcome!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:00 pm

I have a very similar history to yours - sadly - but discovering NoS was the best thing to happen to me in regards to my relationship with food and eating. I'm sure you will love it too!

Welcome!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:23 pm

Welcome!

I too had a hard time giving up snacking - I weaned myself off the way you'd wean a baby, starting with the ones that were easy to skip and progressing over time! But at this point, the non-snacking habit has become ingrained... and I am grateful.

You description of enjoying food (rather than it being good/bad) really resonates. :)

Best of luck!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:02 pm

Welcome!

It sounds like you've got a great attitude.

It's great that you've had such success with IE. Sticking with the meal based eating of no-s should train your intuitions to be even better. Yes, the "no snacking" bit is hard, but it becomes very natural (even intuitive!) once you build the habit.

Best of luck and looking forward to hearing more,

Reinhard