Enough with Drinking Water

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

BrightAngel

Enough with Drinking Water

Post by BrightAngel » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:13 pm

BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

getoka

Post by getoka » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:18 pm

I knew it!

Schools here in the UK insist kids have a water bottle nearby at all times. Keeping hydrated is supposed to improve academic performance. Funny though, I got through all my schooling including my degree without ever having a bottle of water nearby. How did I manage, and how did all my classmates, not to mention my parents' generation or indeed my grandmother's generation ?-she's 101 btw and I've never noticed her chugging from a plastic water bottle (she does like a cup of tea though).

The thing that really bugs me about the water obsession is the amount of discarded plastic water bottles that proliferate on our footpaths and hedgerows.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:02 pm

Water is overrated. I prefer Coca Cola...oh, wait??? But I do. Personally I kind of get a kick out of people who are carrying around a bottle of water constantly, particularly, since the building I work in has an ample number of drinking facets. At www.quackwatch.org they delve into the urban myth of eight, 8 oz. glasses of water a day.

O43
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

burnnotice

Another habit to break? :)

Post by burnnotice » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:31 pm

I've known the 8x8 rule is not scientifically backed for a while, but I've got to say during the work week I get at least 8 qd! To avoid snacking I drink fluids all day! I suppose it is a somewhat harmless habit as opposed to focusing on food.

One thing I do is once I've drank the original Vitamin water in the evil plastic bottle, I refill it from the fountain the rest of that day, then recycle it. I don't keep it beyond that day bc I've read you can't wash the germs out of them. That saves 3-4 plastic bottles a day. I also have a ceramic mug for my tea and hot cider breaks.

Colleen
Me
The Client

marleah

Post by marleah » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:01 pm

I've heard so many varying reports on how much water is the right amount. All I can say is that from personal experience, I feel much better if I drink more water - usually between 32 and 64 oz a day.

Not saying it's for everyone, but I've had times (like over a couple of weeks) where I am getting less water than that a day, and I just don't feel as good.
- vegan grad student -
- 5'2" starting at 140-145 in March 2009 -
- S-Days Saturday and Sunday -

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:33 pm

I drink water constantly because I am constantly thirsty. I personally like staying hydrated :). And, yes, I use a real water bottle (not a disposable kind) that I refill at work all day long. And at home, it's a glass.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:51 pm

I like to drink water, too. More in the summer, less in the winter. I don't drink with meals, however. I don't know why.

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:35 pm

The water thing is like the snacks thing, you think they would make a profit selling bottled water if they didn't convince everyone that they must drink as much water as possible and that the bottled kind is much better than tap?.
Thank God people is starting to figure out that tap water is the same water everybody has been drinking since... well, since humankind was born.
I like to drink water, too. More in the summer, less in the winter. I don't drink with meals, however. I don't know why.
Me neither!, I tried so many times to include drinks while I eat my meals, but it never became an habit.
I recently asked my older sister if I used to when I was little and she says that I never did, even when we had Coke at the table; I just ate my meal and took the glass with me afterwards.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:04 pm

Well, I'm going to log in with a contrarian view. :)

First, I do like to drink a lot, and feel bad when I don't. I probably drink at least the "recommended" amount. While I don't always carry a bottle of water with me, if I'm going to be out for a while I take one so I don't end up paying ridiculous amounts for one. (MUCH cheaper bought in bulk.)

Second, I don't like soda (anymore). And before the advent of bottled water, it was almost IMPOSSIBLE to get anything else to drink! You may say "it's just like tap water," but you can't GET tap water when you're out and about. I don't drink bottled water at home, but I am so grateful that I can get ordinary water when I'm not at home. (More on tap water below.)

And about the plastic bottle thing... why are water drinkers targeted for that when soda drinkers aren't? There are probably a lot more soda bottles in landfills than water bottles. I admit they're not great from an environmental perspective, but I don't think water drinkers deserve MORE blame than those from people who drink other beverages in plastic. (With that said, I don't drink from bottles at home, and when I can, I refill and reuse them.)

Finally, most of the water in the bottles is tap water, but it's generally filtered. I drink filtered water at home too, and find the taste of chlorine in most tap water almost unbearable unless I mask it with lemon or something like that. That's another reason for drinking bottled water when out.

So there's the view from the other side. :)

jbettin

Post by jbettin » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:01 am

KCCC wrote: I drink filtered water at home too, and find the taste of chlorine in most tap water almost unbearable unless I mask it with lemon or something like that.
If you leave your tap water open to the air for a little while, the chlorine evaporates. In the summer, when I'm constantly hot and thirsty, I put a pitcher of water in the fridge at night. By morning, the chlorine taste is completely gone.
Mom of 4

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:53 pm

jbettin wrote:
KCCC wrote: I drink filtered water at home too, and find the taste of chlorine in most tap water almost unbearable unless I mask it with lemon or something like that.
If you leave your tap water open to the air for a little while, the chlorine evaporates. In the summer, when I'm constantly hot and thirsty, I put a pitcher of water in the fridge at night. By morning, the chlorine taste is completely gone.
I use a charcoal filter system (Brita) and that works very well, though it's good to know it will evaporate.

The issue (for this thread) is that drinking tap water elsewhere is a problem b/c of the chlorine taste, which is one of the reasons I do use bottled water.

Mounted Ranger!

Post by Mounted Ranger! » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:37 pm

FWIW, these are my thoughts on drinking water in plenty for me. I'm a recovering insomniac and while I couldn't sleep, I had read that staying well hydrated helped. It did not help me. However, after I finally did start figuring out my problem and started sleeping, I noticed that then being well hydrated helped me feel rested. What I'm saying is that is seems that for mostly normal sleepers who want better rest, water seems to help. me, at any rate.

another thing is that if I don't drink a lot of water, when I walk my fingers turn to fat, pulsing sausages. yep, really. If I am well hydrated, I walk with normal finger. strange but true.

I fill a thermos with ice and water. I just put it in a room that I'm spending most of my time in. When I'm interpreting and have several clients here and there I leave it in the car. If I have one alllll day client, I take it in with me.

Sometimes it's hard to drink a lot. When it's cold and rainy I just really don't want it sometimes. Then later, I go walking and my fingers chub up and get uncomfortable and the next day I have no problem drinking.

Now, as far as drinking water 8x8 daily for weight loss. I don't know. If it helps someone go for it and if not, fine. I think our bodies and needs are so individual that despite someone's study, my body or yours will still be different. Just sayin'.
Mounted Ranger!
No S-ing, Ranging, and Shovelgloving since 7/7/09

TunaFishKid

Post by TunaFishKid » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:55 pm

A couple of years ago I got onboard with the water-drinking fad. I was drinking about 8 to 10 large glasses a day. The weird thing is, the more I drank, the more I seemed to need. I can remember sitting watching tv at night and drinking glass after glass of water because my mouth and throat were so dry. I finally made the connection and tapered off to just a couple of glasses a day. The problem was solved immediatelly. I don't know why, but too much water apparently dehydrates me. :?
~ Laura ~

vmelo

Post by vmelo » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:18 pm

Just thought I'd throw this in: My husband has a friend who works with the city concerning the water distribution (or whatever you call it; don't know his actual job title). He said he would never recommend that people drink straight from the tap; he doesn't either. He says that the pipes are old and rusty, with who knows what that transfers into the water.

I use those reverse-osmosis water systems in grocery stores and refill my own gallon containers (which I wash between uses with vinegar and a drop of dish soap).

I've never heard that the chlorine evaporates. Jbettin, where did you get that information? Don't take that question as a challenge; I'm just curious about that fact since I've never heard it before.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:24 pm

vmelo: Yes, it does.

I didn't learn it from learning about drinking water, but from learning about how to care for fish and making bread.

If you let water stand, it's safe to put fish in. If you let water stand, the chlorine evaporates and won't interfere with yeast rising for good bread.

Not scientific proof, but I've tried to make bread with water straight out of the tap v. water that's settled and certainly the second method had a far superior rise to the yeast.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:31 am

Noel,

I've never noticed a problem with making bread with water straight from the tap, but now I wonder if my bread would be even better if I let the water stand.

How long do you do this before you use it?
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:36 am

24 hours.

Though these days I just filter it.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

WouldYouEva

Re: Enough with Drinking Water

Post by WouldYouEva » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:18 pm

BrightAngel wrote:Interesting Article about Water.
http://ca.lifestyle.yahoo.com/health-fi ... 09-09-01/1
Well, I know that whole 8x8 thing is a myth but the meds I'm on give me cotton mouth. I'm not any healthier for drinking a lot of water. If being healthy were as easy as that, more people would be healthy.

What I want to know is why people are so heavily invested in this myth? If you try to disagree, it's like you've insulted their religion. (As an atheist, I have some experience with that.)