SUPER NYTimes Article!!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Gia

SUPER NYTimes Article!!

Post by Gia » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:48 pm

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:25 pm

I saw that, too and almost posted here. I've heard Pollan say before that we can't address the health care crisis without addressing the food crisis.

Here's a blogger commenting on it:
http://losingweightafter45isabitch.blog ... l#comments
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:51 pm

These are interesting, too:

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20090921
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

vmelo

Post by vmelo » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:22 pm

To me, it sounds like another opportunity for the government to infringe on our personal behavior. If the government takes over health care, I'm afraid that they'll start instituting a "fat tax" and justify it with the health-care-costs argument.

Gia

fat tax?

Post by Gia » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:44 am

Thanks for the link wosnes.

I wonder if they will institute a fat tax!?

What are people's views on this...

If government helped create the problem of obesity in America by subsidizing grain which led to cheap corn and soy-based foods being marked artificially lower than they actually cost, then is it right for it to dis-incentivize overeating by charging for being fat?

Perhaps they should remove grain subsidies?

wosnes

Re: fat tax?

Post by wosnes » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:35 am

Gia wrote: If government helped create the problem of obesity in America by subsidizing grain which led to cheap corn and soy-based foods being marked artificially lower than they actually cost, then is it right for it to dis-incentivize overeating by charging for being fat?
Well, they subsidize tobacco farmers.

sporkfancier

Post by sporkfancier » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:16 pm

vmelo wrote:To me, it sounds like another opportunity for the government to infringe on our personal behavior. If the government takes over health care, I'm afraid that they'll start instituting a "fat tax" and justify it with the health-care-costs argument.
We've had government health care since the 60s and that's never happened here. Remember George H. W. Bush telling you to ask a Canadian if socialized health care is a good idea? It is.
Shovel glove? Isn't that the size of prophylactic I use?

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:37 pm

Canada never had Prohibition, either.

We Americans can be complete jerks when it comes to moralizing through legislation. We're an intense and immoderate people, and make some nutty collective decisions often.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:27 pm

Noel and sporkfancier -- I agree!

sporkfancier

Post by sporkfancier » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:05 am

NoelFigart wrote:Canada never had Prohibition, either.
This is a great point. I did want to point out that one of the items that's being discussed legislatively up here is tax *breaks* for healthy lifestyle decisions (e.g. gym memberships being tax deductible). It's also being discussed in the context of children's physical activity classes (e.g. dance lessons or soccer fees being tax deductible).
Shovel glove? Isn't that the size of prophylactic I use?

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:14 pm