early days and hunger

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Dandelion

early days and hunger

Post by Dandelion » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:39 pm

What do you do when you're really hungry and it's hours until the next meal. I don't mean maybe hungry - or stomach growling a bit - I mean truly, feeling a bit ill hunger - in those early days of adjusting to the system?

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:54 pm

If you're feeling ill, you need to adjust your meal size up, of course! If you're eating a minimum of 1500 calories a day, you'll need to break that up between 3 500 calories meals. If you've been nibbling, it's entirely possible you're not used to eating that much at a sitting.

That doesn't help you for the habit building TODAY, though, does it?

Remember that SOME caloric drinks are No-S approved. Milk is good example, or REAL 100% fruit juice. Just don't drink gallons. Have a juice glass and be done with it. Usually that'll be enough.

I've been known to cook a late dinner and bridge the gap with a glass of wine while cooking, but I try not to make that a common thing for many reasons.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:50 pm

I agree with Noel...be sure you're eating enough at each meal. You will absolutely feel as if you're eating too much when you eat a normal meal, because we've been trained to eat so little at meals & then snack like crazy to make up for it. Be sure you have enough protein too...that will help you feel full longer.

A glass of milk is a great idea too.

In the beginning, I allowed myself to have either a banana, glass of milk, or a couple rice cakes if I just wasn't going to make it to the next meal. I know that technically that was a snack, but I wasn't fond of any of those things, but, again, the beginning is really hard & I would rather eat one of those items than give up and eat my way into a red day. Now that I've been consistently doing this for a few months, I really don't have an urge to snack unless I didn't do a good job of eating well at the last meal.

These first few weeks are difficult because you'll be eating more at meals than you are used to and your body is trained to think that snacks are okay. Hang in there though...you WILL balance out and it will become easier.

janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:50 pm

Milk sounds like just what I need :)

I also think you're right about my not eating enough at lunch. At the time, I felt like I had enough food - but it just didn't last the afternoon. Maybe a later lunch would help, too, since I don't seem to have the same problem with hunger in the morning.

Thanks for the idea :)

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:55 pm

You're more right than you know, Janie. I'm coming from the 'eat when hungry, stop when full' thing - which worked for me beautifully for many years, but not so much lately. Not sure why, but it's time to try something else. Besides, I'm tired of having to eat all the time.

So, I am very well 'trained' to only eat small amounts at a sitting.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:11 am

If you're used to eating small amounts, it will be a transition. I found that I needed to bump up quantities, and also pay attention to the kinds of food. Oddly enough, a lot of the stuff that's "good" for you (whole-grains, lean protein, stuffl with fiber) also "lasts" the best! :)

When I was starting, I thought I would DIE at 4:00 - I was so used to eating a snack then. The other snacks I could drop easily, but that one was hard. So I did kind of what Janie did, and allowed myself a snack from a limited list of choices, none of which I loved so much I'd eat them just because. (Milk might have been a better choice, but wasn't an easy option at work.) Those snacks gradually faded over time, as I got a better handle on meals and learned that a little hunger wouldn't kill me.

Good luck! If it's any consolation, the beginning is the hardest part. As habits take hold, it becomes much easier. Which reminds me - I highly recommend the podcast on "Strictness" (#13, I think), which makes that same point.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:28 am

Dandelion,
I followed the eat when you're hungry approach, too, and felt hungry all the time. When I started No S, I allowed myself to eat whatever was before me. For perhaps two months, I often had an entire bowl of popcorn along with dinner. Now I don't think much about food between meals, and I had popcorn last week for the first time in perhaps four months. Your body just needs time to adjust to not eating all the time.
Kathleen

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:39 am

I didn't have the problem of being hungry all the time - it was the opposite. I was always too full so I started eating less and less so that I would actually get hungry. Now I'm so used to eating almost nothing. I've been thinking I actually eat too little, and when I plugged it all into fitday - I found I was right.

I can see my rough patch is going to be 3 - 4 pm. I'm going to have a larger lunch and try to stick it out - but if I start to feel ill, like today, have a glass of milk.

Sounds like a good plan.

And thanks everyone for being so willing to help!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:53 am

What you're eating is as important as how much and how often. I think I've posted this nearly every time someone mentions being hungry, especially hungry to the point of feeling ill, between meals.

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=4574

I've found that by eating (mostly) real food, I've completely eliminated the sick, hungry feeling. It's not that I don't get hungry, I do, but I don't get that queasy feeling when I'm hungry.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:06 am

If you are so hungry you are getting ill it's no good at all.

The first thing would be to find out how many calories you need based on all sorts of factors. Here's how to do that :

http://www.shapefit.com/basal-metabolic-rate.html

"The Harris-Benedict formula (BMR based on total body weight)
The Harris Benedict equation is a calorie formula using the factors of height, weight, age, and sex to determine basal metabolic rate (BMR). This makes it more accurate than determining calorie needs based on total bodyweight alone. The only variable it does not take into consideration is lean body mass. Therefore, this equation will be very accurate in all but the extremely muscular (will underestimate caloric needs) and the extremely overfat (will overestimate caloric needs).

Men: BMR = 66 + (13.7 X wt in kg) + (5 X ht in cm) - (6.8 X age in years)

Women: BMR = 655 + (9.6 X wt in kg) + (1.8 X ht in cm) - (4.7 X age in years)

Note: 1 inch = 2.54 cm.
1 kilogram = 2.2 lbs.

Example:
You are female
You are 30 yrs old
You are 5' 6 " tall (167.6 cm)
You weigh 120 lbs. (54.5 kilos)
Your BMR = 655 + 523 + 302 - 141 = 1339 calories/day

Now that you know your BMR, you can calculate TDEE by multiplying your BMR by your activity multiplier from the chart below:

Activity Multiplier
Sedentary = BMR X 1.2 (little or no exercise, desk job)
Lightly active = BMR X 1.375 (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk)
Mod. active = BMR X 1.55 (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)
Very active = BMR X 1.725 (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk)
Extr. active = BMR X 1.9 (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.)

Example:
Your BMR is 1339 calories per day
Your activity level is moderately active (work out 3-4 times per week)
Your activity factor is 1.55
Your TDEE = 1.55 X 1339 = 2075 calories/day"

If I remember well, my BMR was 1,975 calories ...
X 1.725 since I train 6-7 days per week = 3,406 calories per day ... so since I eat only 2,800 to 2,900 calories per day usually, I have a deficit of 500 calories per day, in other words I lose a pound per week at the moment (This is almost spot on !)

Not eating enough can create other problems, slowing down your metabolism because your body is so deprived it's trying to hold on to the fat not knowing when the next meal's going to be !

You should feel a lil' bit hungry most of the time when a meal is coming up soon, not hours before, that's not a good thing. If you are not feeling hungry at all just an hour before a meal, you are eating too much, same thing if you are too hungry all the time - - You have to find the right balance, quantities, timing ... so that you lose weight in a way that is healthy

Try changing the quantities and the time of day too (A kitchen scale would be a great tool if you want to be more precise !), if you are feel more hungry in the afternoon you may not have eaten enough for lunch .... so you eat a bit more for lunch next time, having some things extra at that time instead of later.

This takes a lot of trial and error, adjustments, tweaking ...

I changed my system quite a few times ... I am usually not that hungry in the morning so I don't have a lot of calories for breakfast, I save those for later in the day : I have more at lunch and dinner instead. Works well for me.

Losing weight requires a lot of planning, at least that's what I did. You have to think about a lot of details, things you are eating, the way you exercise, all that is important to help you succeed.

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

wintry

Post by wintry » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:27 am

Hot herbal tea with lots of milk helps keep me going... also, really sour liquids like kombucha (but I only like some brands of it).

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:57 pm

Hey Marc, what happened to your nice sig line, in which you acknowledge that what you're doing is "extreme" and not plain No-S? The last couple of posts have really needed that disclaimer!

Though I do agree with this part
You should feel a lil' bit hungry most of the time when a meal is coming up soon, not hours before, that's not a good thing. If you are not feeling hungry at all just an hour before a meal, you are eating too much, same thing if you are too hungry all the time - - You have to find the right balance, quantities, timing ... so that you lose weight in a way that is healthy
The "how hungry am I before a meal" metric is much easier than a lot of calorie-counting, and works very well. :)

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:26 pm

OOOoo..a fellow Kombucha drinker!

I ate more at lunch today, and feel quite comfortable now at 4 pm. Not hungry - not full.

I'm going to check to see if I'm eating enough for my activity level, etc, make sure I eat a decent lunch - and if I really need something, do some more tweaking.

Good post about the 'toxic hunger' thing. I know many people who 'can't stop eating' but never realise what a difference better quality of food would make.

One thing I know this is not is hunger from eating low quality, refined, processed, junk :) We've been eating a whole/real foods diet in our family for about the last 10 years. I cook nearly everything from scratch, we get our milk from a farm, grass-fed meats and dairy, I sprout and ferment and brew. Today I'm making another batch of kombucha and homemade chicken soup. This weekend I'll be soaking oats and nuts for homemade granola, baking for the week ahead and dehydrating peach 'fruit leather'.