New No S-er

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Christmas Cheer

New No S-er

Post by Christmas Cheer » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:57 pm

Hi,

Someone told me about this No S Diet ("diet") many months ago and I brushed them off, but it stuck with me, back in the recesses of my brain somewhere. A few days ago, I dusted off the cobwebs and decided to check it out. Yesterday, I started the "program" (I use quotations because it's not really a diet or a program, but rather a ridiculously obvious, natural, normal way to eat, not some diet plan. It's a get-out-of-your-gluttonous-American-way-of-eating-and-eat-normally plan.

That's me -- Gluttonous American. I have 100 pounds to shed. :oops: I got here by eating too much and not exercising enough, and now it's hard to exercise and easy to eat.

Yesterday I ate too much at meal times, but I did not snack, or have any sweets, or go for more (not that I could fit more).

Breakfast was a bowl of fiber one cereal with milk and that was plenty for me. Lunch, though. Lunch was potatoes, corn and a banana -- too much yellow/white and too much food. But it was lunch. Dinner was soup and bread with peanut butter and applesauce and grapes. Too much bread. I was stuffed. But it carried me over till bedtime. I was hungry when I woke up, which is nice. I am not usually hungry in the morning.

This morning was eggs, biscuits, and a slice of cheese. A good, filling breakfast. Eventually I hope to make healthier choices, like maybe a bowl of oats instead of biscuits? But for now, at least for now, I am going to focus on the very, very basics of this: sweets, snacks, and seconds.

This board feels heavily male. That's really cool, because most other "diet" boards are not -- there are usually a couple men but mainly women. It's nice to see men posting. Maybe my husband will join in.

I am a planner. I try to decide what I'm serving and eating ahead of time. I've already decided that my S treat this weekend is going to be a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. Well, a slice of said cake, anyway. I don't lose weight fast, even when I'm following a strict diet plan to the letter so I won't be gorging myself on the weekends, but I think a nice sweet treat to look forward to at the end of a successful week is a fabulous incentive.

So anyway, I'm Michelle but please call me Mickie instead. I'll try to set up one of those signature things soon.

howfunisthat

Re: New No S-er

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:18 pm

Christmas Cheer wrote:Yesterday, I started the "program" (I use quotations because it's not really a diet or a program, but rather a ridiculously obvious, natural, normal way to eat, not some diet plan. It's a get-out-of-your-gluttonous-American-way-of-eating-and-eat-normally plan.
Hi Mickie,

I love what you wrote....and you have it exactly right - it's really an amazing plan because of it's ridiculously obvious, natural, normal way to eat!

I've tried every diet around, and this is so incredibly different....it's a way to heal from food disfunction from the inside out. You'll have difficult days and amazingly easy days but the longer you do this, the more amazed you'll be.

Have you read the book yet? I recommend it to everyone who is new. It's packed full of great hints, great ideas, and also helps you understand even more of why this plan is exactly what we need. Don't miss it - it's like the textbook that goes with the plan.

And, lastly, don't be a stranger around here...come on in...ask questions...start a check-in thread...we'll all here to cheer each other on & we're glad you're here.

Welcome!
janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

noni

Post by noni » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:29 pm

Welcome aboard, Mickie!

You are wise not to micromanage your food choices right now. It's enuf to just focus on the S's in the beginning. In time you will desire to put a piece of fruit or salad on that plate and less of something else. And sometimes you'll want that something else (like potato chips). I still enjoy a small amount of chips with a sandwich at times and it hasn't hurt my weight loss.

For a beginner, you already look to be one step ahead of the game. I wish you well. And enjoy your chocolate cake tomorrow!

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:03 pm

Well, there ARE more men on this board than the average diet board, yes.

It's possible the women on this board also come across as a bit less.... cheerleader like and more lifeguard like in the range of feminine styles.

Few people follow the advice in the very beginning because it's so radical, but focus on getting your meal habits down before you worry too much about what goes on the plate. Believe me, the food choice part will straighten itself almost without thinking about it.

(*grin* Says the woman who had a peanut butter sandwich, snow peas and a peach for breakfast. What can I say, I was starved coming back from swimming and didn't want to take the time to make an omelet).

Mickie, on a personal note, what prompted the username Christmas Cheer? (Big fan of Christmas, myself...)
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:21 pm

Welcome! I'm fairly new myself so not much experience to go on. I do know that this is one of the most welcoming and helpful groups I've come across :)

Oh..and I'd stick with the biscuits :). I love them myself, but don't usually have time (or the inclination to deal with all the mess) to make them in the morning. Maybe this weekend :)

Christmas Cheer

Post by Christmas Cheer » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:03 pm

NoelFigart wrote:
Mickie, on a personal note, what prompted the username Christmas Cheer? (Big fan of Christmas, myself...)
It's my favorite time of year, but more than that, it's a personal reminder to keep the Christmas spirit year-round and (my faith is a big part of my life) to strive to live in a way that honors God. :)

PS Thank you for the warm welcomes. I will keep your advice about not worrying about what's on the plate in mind. I was JUST sitting here fretting about what to put on my lunch plate. I won't obsess I promise.

wosnes

Re: New No S-er

Post by wosnes » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:26 pm

Christmas Cheer wrote:Hi,

Someone told me about this No S Diet ("diet") many months ago and I brushed them off, but it stuck with me, back in the recesses of my brain somewhere. A few days ago, I dusted off the cobwebs and decided to check it out. Yesterday, I started the "program" (I use quotations because it's not really a diet or a program, but rather a ridiculously obvious, natural, normal way to eat, not some diet plan. It's a get-out-of-your-gluttonous-American-way-of-eating-and-eat-normally plan.

That's me -- Gluttonous American. I have 100 pounds to shed. :oops: I got here by eating too much and not exercising enough, and now it's hard to exercise and easy to eat.

Yesterday I ate too much at meal times, but I did not snack, or have any sweets, or go for more (not that I could fit more).

Breakfast was a bowl of fiber one cereal with milk and that was plenty for me. Lunch, though. Lunch was potatoes, corn and a banana -- too much yellow/white and too much food. But it was lunch. Dinner was soup and bread with peanut butter and applesauce and grapes. Too much bread. I was stuffed. But it carried me over till bedtime. I was hungry when I woke up, which is nice. I am not usually hungry in the morning.

This morning was eggs, biscuits, and a slice of cheese. A good, filling breakfast. Eventually I hope to make healthier choices, like maybe a bowl of oats instead of biscuits? But for now, at least for now, I am going to focus on the very, very basics of this: sweets, snacks, and seconds.

This board feels heavily male. That's really cool, because most other "diet" boards are not -- there are usually a couple men but mainly women. It's nice to see men posting. Maybe my husband will join in.

I am a planner. I try to decide what I'm serving and eating ahead of time. I've already decided that my S treat this weekend is going to be a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. Well, a slice of said cake, anyway. I don't lose weight fast, even when I'm following a strict diet plan to the letter so I won't be gorging myself on the weekends, but I think a nice sweet treat to look forward to at the end of a successful week is a fabulous incentive.

So anyway, I'm Michelle but please call me Mickie instead. I'll try to set up one of those signature things soon.
Hi Mickie -- Welcome aboard!

Don't worry too much about the "healthier choices" -- now or in the future. A healthy diet, in my estimation, includes biscuits AND oats.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:07 pm

Welcome! You're going to love it!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:35 pm

By the way, I remember seeing a topic for people needing to lose 100 pounds or more.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:10 pm

I love your name and the reasoning behind it!! :) Best of luck and welcome!!
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:20 pm

Welcome, Mickie, and good luck with your NoS journey. You'll begin to see little things changing and happening after a few weeks, and you'll be so glad that you decided to live this way.
Keep in mind that the weight loss is SLOW - but it happens. Someone on the boards (can't remember who at the moment) said that you are really learning weight maintenance first...and the rest follows.
Make a check-in thread and visit the boards when you have questions or need encouragement. There's a fantastic group of people here!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!