Pumpkin recipes

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ktharmoney

Pumpkin recipes

Post by ktharmoney » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:12 pm

I love fall. I love fall food. I love pumpkin. What are some good pumpkin recipes that are safe for week days? The only ones I'm really familiar with are pumpkin pie, pumpkin cookies, etc, which are not good for weekdays.

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:46 pm

If you like oatmeal, try adding a scoop of pumpkin to your oatmeal. Also sprinkle in the seasonings for pumpkin pie-cinnamon, etc. So very very delish!

Go from there...baking muffins? Add pumpkin and the spices. Making tea? Just add the spices....very pumpkin pie-ish and yummy.

Pumpkin is a healthy veggie. Enjoy it!

Mounted Ranger!

Post by Mounted Ranger! » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:07 pm

CrazyCatLady wrote:If you like oatmeal, try adding a scoop of pumpkin to your oatmeal. Also sprinkle in the seasonings for pumpkin pie-cinnamon, etc. So very very delish!

Enjoy it!
That's what we had for breakfast! about a cup of oatmeal (we buy it kind of think in the bulk section), and two cups of milk, dollop of butter, drizzle of maple syrup, bring to boil, reduce and simmer till thickening and tender. Add dollop (per taste) of pumpkin and pie spice or cinnamon. I like it with nuts, too.
Mounted Ranger!
No S-ing, Ranging, and Shovelgloving since 7/7/09

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:55 pm

Pumpkin isn't one of my favorites, but I've seen recipes for pumpkin risotto and pumpkin soup. Just about any recipe that calls for squash would work with pumpkin.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:26 am

I have a recipe for pumpkin chips that I always think I will make and never do. But it does sound like a good thing to me! The recipe called for using a potato peeler to peel slices of pumpkin flesh very thin and then frying them as you would chips..serve either with salt (Ndays) or sugar and cinnamon (S days). Maybe this will be the year I try! I also seem to remember a recipe mixing cooked and cooled pumpkin, and appropriate spIces with yogurt. This sounds like a recipe that you could play with..maybe come up with some kind of smoothie?!? i hope someone tries one of these things and posts how it tastes!There are a lot of good cooks out there!
Hope I haven't led anyone astray!
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:56 am

I eat oatmeal almost every day... It's like the cornerstone of my diet! And I love pumpkin... YOU CAN ADD PUMPKIN TO OATMEAL AND IT TASTES GOOD?! Why did I not know this???
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:22 am

I have a favourite pumpkin and spinach soup recipe, and there is a similar recipe here:

http://www.greenchronicle.com/recipes/p ... h_soup.htm

and a favorite cream of pumpkin soup recipe (also good made with butternut squash), a version of which is here:

http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/cream ... -recipe-90

The second recipe is good with an added small knob of peeled fresh ginger root, crushed or finely chopped.

Cyn

Pumpkin Spices

Post by Cyn » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:34 am

I roast several yams or sweet potatoes in the oven, mash them up and add pie type spices (cinnamon etc). It tastes like dessert but has no sugar. I eat that as part of lunch or dinner for several meals :wink:
Less is more.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:24 am

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

kccc

Re: Pumpkin Spices

Post by kccc » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:30 pm

Cyn wrote:I roast several yams or sweet potatoes in the oven, mash them up and add pie type spices (cinnamon etc). It tastes like dessert but has no sugar. I eat that as part of lunch or dinner for several meals :wink:
I do that too, Cyn, though I microwave when I don't have time to roast. (Roasting IS better.) One variant I like is just cinnamon and a tablesppon or so of orange juice concentrate, undiluted. The OJ concentrate sort of brightens the flavor. I call that "everyday sweet potatoes" (since they aren't the dessert-like ones often seen at holidays) and my family loves them.

You could do that with pumpkin too, I bet. Or just roast it - roasted winter squash of any kind is YUMMY!

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:05 pm

Not a recipe, per se, but last year I saw pumpkin angel food cake at Whole Foods.

My mom is a pumpkin (well, really, pumpkin pie spice) nut. She adds it to anything. Pancakes, coffee, ice cream...
What Navin said.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:47 pm

Blondie wrote:
My mom is a pumpkin (well, really, pumpkin pie spice) nut. She adds it to anything. Pancakes, coffee, ice cream...
I always thought I hated pumpkin pie until I realized it was pumpkin pie spice I didn't like. Most have cloves and I can't stand cloves.