We Swear We Are Not Making This Up

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NoelFigart

We Swear We Are Not Making This Up

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:55 am

The Cookie Diet

It's not really a cookie diet. It's a VERY low calorie diet. You eat a very low calorie meal and six "special" (read: REALLY BLINKIN' EXPENSIVE) cookies a day.

Yes, if you drop your calories below 1000 a day, you'll lose weight really fast. DUH!

I think one of my S-day treats is going to be a cookie this weekend... a REAL cookie I didn't pay hundreds of dollars to eat in answer to this.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:23 am

I saw that, too. Amazing, isn't it? I liked some of the comments on Well:
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/2 ... okie-diet/
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:25 pm

I must admit it is a diet that I personally tried here in Maintenance.
to try to drop a couple of pounds lower in my Maintenance Weight Range.
Want to know why the "No Cookie Diet" didn't work for me?...
...other than the obvious taste and expense?

It provided me with too many calories.
The diet calls for 6 cookies (at 90 calories each) per day,
then one's own dinner of about 450-500 calories.

Yes..Once again I was able to verify that 1000 calories is so close to my actual calorie burn,
that it only allowes me to maintain my current weight.
Bummer,
Experiment interesting but not successful.
Returned to very small portions of whatever real food I want.

For those who are interested,
in Medical Circles, the term "Very Low Calorie Diet", refers to UNDER 800 calories.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:19 pm

I read about that diet the other day in the Times. Sounds so unhealthy. And boring. And talk about cookie overload! Plus, I'd rather have my homemade cookies than something prepackaged anyday. And I'd rather eat real food. I can't believe people actually try this (no offense).
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:52 pm

Nichole wrote:I can't believe people actually try this (no offense).
Believe it.
As for me, I look at Dieting as an enjoyable Hobby,
and I LOVE trying new things.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Starla

Post by Starla » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:20 pm

If I had read about this diet in my 20's, and if I had been able to afford it, I would have been all over it. I actually lost a lot of weight in my 20's trying to keep calories under 500 a day! It ended one Sunday morning when I was laying in bed watching my chest shake with every heartbeat, and my two remaining working brain cells realized I was in trouble.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:52 pm

I read your post, that's why I said "no offense."
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:31 pm

I heard about that on the radio months ago. A part of me thinks it is a good idea. Why can't humans have a kibble diet, like a pet, so that the food is nutritional, but you eat the same thing at each meal? Wouldn't nutritious kibble (or big kibble labeled cookies) be simple? Wouldn't it help prevent cravings, to know each meal was the same?!?

Like eating oats for breakfast everyday. It takes the thinking and worry out of things.

I don't think it can really work well in real life, though. People like variety. And variety is healthy for us. And how do you go from eating kibble (cookies) to lose weight, to maintenance? Do you continue to purchase the kibble for one meal a day for years?

I will stick with No S. But if I ever do go on the kibble diet, you can bet that I will make my own oatmeal/pecan/cinnamon kibble....

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:32 pm

Human kibble. That's funny.

Purina People Chow.

Science Diet for the Active Middle Aged Dawg (with Glucosamine and Chondroitin for Healthy Joints).

Eukenuba Adolescent Formula (with lamb protein to support growth and absolutely no extra hormones, because at this age...)

Nutro Golden Age Formula (with Ginko Baloba for Healthy Brain Function!)

CrazyCatLady wrote:I heard about that on the radio months ago. A part of me thinks it is a good idea. Why can't humans have a kibble diet, like a pet, so that the food is nutritional, but you eat the same thing at each meal? Wouldn't nutritious kibble (or big kibble labeled cookies) be simple? Wouldn't it help prevent cravings, to know each meal was the same?!?

Like eating oats for breakfast everyday. It takes the thinking and worry out of things.

I don't think it can really work well in real life, though. People like variety. And variety is healthy for us. And how do you go from eating kibble (cookies) to lose weight, to maintenance? Do you continue to purchase the kibble for one meal a day for years?

I will stick with No S. But if I ever do go on the kibble diet, you can bet that I will make my own oatmeal/pecan/cinnamon kibble....
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:05 pm

The problem with human kibble is that humans need and want more variety.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:47 am

Wasn't soylent green like human kibble?