What the heck is vanilla no-s?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

hilly6000

What the heck is vanilla no-s?

Post by hilly6000 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:15 pm

I'm sorry. I don't understand WHERE to find this information, and I'm sure it's answered somewhere, but what exactly is "vanilla no-s"?

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:22 pm

No S as it is described in the 14 words, without any modifications. "Plain ol' vanilla", you know.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:23 pm

It confuses a lot of new people - we should probably put in in an FAQ somewhere.

Basically, it's just plain No-S without any modifications (mods). Following the rules pretty much exactly as written originally.

"Vanilla" comes from that generally being the "plain" flavor.

hilly6000

Post by hilly6000 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:24 pm

Thank you VERY much. That makes sense. I was thinking it was no-s modified, which is probably a bad misinterpretation.

But it makes me wonder how many people do a modified version?

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:26 pm

Anoulie wrote:No S as it is described in the 14 words, without any modifications. "Plain ol' vanilla", you know.
I think it would include the one-plate rule and only juice or milk between meals if needed for hunger.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:38 pm

wosnes wrote:
Anoulie wrote:No S as it is described in the 14 words, without any modifications. "Plain ol' vanilla", you know.
I think it would include the one-plate rule
You didn't know about that either :P

I think Reinhard should write a paragraph (= more than 14 words) to explain No S to newbies. Or we could do that!

On the No S Diet, you eat three meals a day, each has to fit on one plate.
You just have one serving at each meal (no seconds).
In between meals, you can't have any snacks (no snacks), but you can still drink 100 % fruit juice or some milk if needed for hunger.
You don't eat sweets at all (no sweets).
On S days (Saturdays, Sundays, and Special days, such as your own birthday or the birthdays of close family members, and national holidays), none of those rules apply: You can eat whatever you want whenever you want. That is to make sure you don't start craving sweets, snacks or seconds too much, which is the reason why many people fail when doing other diets: Certain foods are not allowed so they start craving them and give in eventually.
The No S Diet is based on the way people ate > 100 years ago. Weight loss is usually slow with this diet, but the pounds stay off (no yo-yo effect). The most important thing about it is building the habit and establishing a healthy relationship to eating, not weight loss in itself.
If you fail on N days (Normal, or No S days), just "mark it and move on". You should still do your regular S days because if you don't, it might give you a feeling you can just "make up" for failures. Over time, this way of eating will become a habit and it will be easier to stick to the diet.

hilly6000

Post by hilly6000 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:42 pm

I do think that should be put SOMEWHERE, simply because I didn't know about the juice or milk thing.

I also want to know... I ate a bowl of oatmeal and a glass of milk, as I knew that oatmeal wasn't going to be very filling. It's okay to drink your milk/juice WITH your meal? I counted that as one meal.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:46 pm

hilly6000 wrote:I also want to know... I ate a bowl of oatmeal and a glass of milk, as I knew that oatmeal wasn't going to be very filling. It's okay to drink your milk/juice WITH your meal? I counted that as one meal.
I think so :shock: I mean, I don't put my milk on my plate when I eat dinner :lol: And sometimes, I even drink more than a cup of milk with one meal! :oops:

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:04 pm

You can certainly have milk and/or juice at meals. If you're hungry between meals, you can have a glass of milk or juice to keep the hunger at bay until the next meal.

By the way, just for clarification, it's no sweets, not no sugar. If it's something that you think of as dessert, it's off limits until an S day.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

hilly6000

Post by hilly6000 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:05 pm

Anoulie wrote:
hilly6000 wrote:I also want to know... I ate a bowl of oatmeal and a glass of milk, as I knew that oatmeal wasn't going to be very filling. It's okay to drink your milk/juice WITH your meal? I counted that as one meal.
I think so :shock: I mean, I don't put my milk on my plate when I eat dinner :lol: And sometimes, I even drink more than a cup of milk with one meal! :oops:
Well, I guess we can be the no-s community milk junkies!

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:08 pm

The idea is a reasonable meal at mealtime, then stop eating until the next mealtime. You can have a beverage, just not a sugar-based one. There is a one plate rule, but most of us don't sweat it if we have our veggie-only salad on the side (not all loaded down with croutons and dressing and stuff!). Most of us don't sweat it if we take the banana with us rather than finishing it before we get up from breakfast.

No-S is more about a structure for moderation than it is about a set of scientific rules. A single plate stacked five high with slices of pizza is technically within the rules, but it's not moderate. A main course of three ounces of broiled chicken, green beans, and a slice of bread, with a side veggie-only salad and a bowl of (broth based) soup is moderate, even though it's technically on three plates.

Milk or juice between meals is a way to deal with excess hunger, but avoid it if possible.

Use No-S to be the moderate, in-control eater you always wanted to be.

hilly6000 wrote:I do think that should be put SOMEWHERE, simply because I didn't know about the juice or milk thing.

I also want to know... I ate a bowl of oatmeal and a glass of milk, as I knew that oatmeal wasn't going to be very filling. It's okay to drink your milk/juice WITH your meal? I counted that as one meal.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:18 pm

I like that last line, Kevin :)

I mentioned this elsewhere, but I learned about NoS when I stumbled on an interview Reinhard did a while back. One of the things he mentions is this is about avoiding the 'egregious' sources. He's not saying 'no sugar' or even not nothing sweet - but if you just wipe out all the things where sugar is the biggest component or eliminate the constant snacking most of the time, you'll get there. So, sugar in coffee or cereal is fine. He also mentioned that if he was hungry between meals he would go for a beverage over a food snack and so that's what I've tried to stick with, too.

If it's mainly sweet, then I don't eat it til the weekend, but that leaves a *lot* of good food for the weekdays :). I may have things on more than one plate - but they would fit on one if I didn't mind my food all mixed up :)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:37 pm

I allow myself more than one plate (or bowl), but it's always soup or salad on the extra plate. I also don't drink the liquids between meals, but if I need to snack, it's always fruit or vegetables.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:08 pm

Anoulie wrote:I think Reinhard should write a paragraph (= more than 14 words) to explain No S to newbies. Or we could do that!
http://www.amazon.com/No-Diet-Strikingl ... 0399534040
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:19 pm

I like what Kevin said..."we don't sweat if..."

No-S = No Sweat!

Just enjoy your three meals a day and then enjoy a little treat on your S-Days. Don't obsess...no sweat.
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:25 pm

Only 13 words on the cover of the book though:

No Snacks. No Sweets. No Seconds.*

*Except on days that start with S.

I read the book before I came to this forum. Perhaps that's why I have been unable to practice the 14th word "sometimes" of "except sometimes on days that start with S" ... :wink:
Liz
Weight goal: less than I weigh now
Basic goal: doing no-S for life

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:16 pm

guadopt1997 wrote:
Only 13 words on the cover of the book though:

No Snacks. No Sweets. No Seconds.*

*Except on days that start with S.

I read the book before I came to this forum. Perhaps that's why I have been unable to practice the 14th word "sometimes" of "except sometimes on days that start with S" ... :wink:
That's very interesting, since the "sometimes" was part of the plan first. Somewhere here there's a discussion about that omission.

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:26 pm

wosnes wrote:That's very interesting, since the "sometimes" was part of the plan first. Somewhere here there's a discussion about that omission.
I think this thread may be one of them...

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... metimesian

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:40 am

Mimi, I'd read that sometimesian thread before, but thanks for putting in the link. It was very enlightening to read it again.

But how do you go about finding these things?
Liz
Weight goal: less than I weigh now
Basic goal: doing no-S for life

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:18 am

Just use the search option up at the top of the page under Everyday Systems. Type in the key words that you are looking for. It also helps if you can remember the forum where the discussion took place or the author. Rather that put in the word *sometimes*, I used *sometimesian* which really narrowed the results. I also remembered that it took place in the NoS Diet General Discussion. Hope that helps!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!